“Setting beautiful, but that's it.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Southport
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Setting beautiful, but that's it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We went in with a positive outlook hoping for great service, fabulous food and a beautiful setting since the reviews were mixed, but all we got was the beautiful setting.

We are not ones to write tons of reviews, but this experience could not be left unnoted. Menus were delivered and we were suprised to find only entrees (very strange) when we had looked at the menu online and saw a number of appetizers. After asking the clueless but sweet waitress if their were any appetizers she only then told us about them. Even then we still had to ask if there was any soup, since she failed to mention it and we were interested in the Haddock Chowder we heard the waiter next to us mention. Why a restaurant does not have a menu with all its offerings is beyond me.

After waiting for way too long for our wine we then ordered the Chowder, my husband the Angus Burger with mushrooms and I the Scallop Salad. We couldn't understand why it was taking forever for our chowder to come when all our waitress with one other table had to do was put it in a cup and serve it. Our chowder never came and when our entrees were served after forever (the restaurant was not busy) and we mentioned it to our sweet but clueless, now uninterested she seemed less then apologetic saying she was getting them now. We cancelled our chowder order since our intention was to have it first. It got worse from there.

My scallops were chewy and salty and the salad was less then impressive. I couldn't eat it and I am a huge salad lover. I hadn't met a salad I didn't like until then. My husband ate my salad only because we didn't want to waste it (it was $23!!!). My husband's burger was nothing special and to serve it with cheap potato cheaps is insulting.

The experience did not get any better. One waiter was insulting to the other with no discretion when he asked for help to turn the outdoor heater on and then to have our bill arrive with an already 20% gratuity added to all parties. We were shocked they add 20% gratuity to all parties, but boy does that explain the lack of service.

Oliver's is such a shame because the view is beautiful, the building gorgeous and very well done. However, it appears as though no one with any restaurant sense whatsoever has anything to do with any part of it. If the food and service don't turn around dramatically this restaurant will just be a place to look at and not dine in. We are keeping our fingers crossed that things will change.

• 1 of 5 stars Food

Connecticut
“Erratic Food Quality, Parking Caution; Good Service (N.B. 20% Tip Mandatory), Great Views”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

It was our first time here. We had dinner and the total for three was 97.15 with the included 20% tip. The problem was the erratic quality of the food. I had the Surf and Turf for 29.50. The only good part was the split lobster tail, fresh, correctly grilled with fresh drawn butter. The filet mignon was acceptable but tasteless and I had the impression that it had been pre-cooked and then reheated. The scalloped potatoes were a three by three inch square, warm on the outside and cooler on the inside; again, it seemed to me to have been previously cooked and then inadequately reheated. They weren't bad, just cold. I asked for bread and was given a slice of thick white bread that had been toasted it was very good but I didn't expect toast when I asked for bread. Contrast this to the stuffed chicken with rice and the Angus burger, the former was excellent and the latter very good to bordering on excellent. The campfire ice cream dessert was Graham cracker ice cream with marshmallow and chocolate bits and was delicious. You walk in and seat yourself, there is a six table inside dining room and an eight or so table outside dining room on the dock but in fair weather the doors to the inside are open and it is more like a lanai; the view of the harbor is great. In fairness to the management the bill had the note about the 20% tip included highlighted in yellow marker so that one could not miss it. We will go back next year for lunch (scuttlebutt has it is better for lunch than for dinner). If the filet and the potatoes had been better this would be an excellent restaurant but I cannot rate it as any higher than average. Two final notes. We walked in at 530 on a Thursday and the inner restaurant was empty save for three people at the counter service and one other inside table as well as two outside tables. By 630 all tables were taken inside and out. Parking Caution: there is limited parking and the spots closest to the restaurant consist of two rows facing each other (that is, one line of cars on one side and then another line of cars, door to door, on the other side). This is coupled with a fair number of large SUVs and luxury pickup trucks. When we left we had a truck to immediate left and then a large SUV to our right rear. The positioning was such that there was no easy way out since the SUV protruded into the road. One of us had to get out and guide the driver visually and it took about six or seven very small distance moves (back up, turn the wheel, go forward, turn the wheel, back up again, etc.) to get out. It should be noted that we drive a large luxury sedan and a smaller car would not have had this problem. It also should be noted that neither of the drivers of the other cars were parked incorrectly; it was just that it was difficult for us to get out by the totality of the chance circumstances of the other vehicles. So be warned, if you are in a large sedan, SUV or truck park at the very end of one of the rows so that you are able to get out.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Venice, Florida
“Overpriced and under fed!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We came by boat on a gorgeous August day. Cozy Harbor is very picturesque and the setting of the restaurant next to the Southport YC is perfect. Outside tables on a nice deck. Very clean and stylish - maybe a bit too stylish for Maine...One of the staff helped us moor the boat. And that was pretty much the best part of our luncheon for four. Previous commentors have slammed the service but Zachary was friendly and attentive.. We all had the special haddock and halibut chowder. Mostly milk and a few potatoes. Mine had no fish in it at all. The unanimous opinion was that it was the worst chowder we had ever had. From there we went onto the broiled salmon, dry and tasteless and the thai wrap. Also tasteless. My IPA was good and that was the high point of the meal. They add 20% tip whether you are happy or not and that finished off a bad dining experience on the coast of Maine. We shall not return. We are summer residents and tied into the Southport grapevine which says that this is the toy of the people who lives in the humongus new house on the point. I doubt Oliver's will survive the winter. Definitely not worth $100 for four including tip.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Crowded, slow and undercooked”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Oliver's was recommended by someone when we recently stayed in Boothbay Harbor. It is a cute restaurant in a nice location, but the food isn't great and the service is slow. My scallops were really undercooked even after I asked for them to be cooked through. On top of the questionable food, the parking is very crowded and difficult. I would pass on this place; there are plenty of good places in Boothbay. Or, on Southport, I would go to Robinson's Wharf.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fabulous fresh fish! Beautiful setting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We took the excellent waiter's advice and had the freshest Halibut- I had it grilled, my partner had it blackened. Scrumptious! It came with fresh vegetables, simply prepared and a great potato side. And the beautiful view! No rush, no crowds- great meal! There's an upstairs balcony for great seating too. An an excellent bar! Loved it!

Visited August 2013