“a once in a life-time experience” 5 of 5 stars

The Farm at San Benito
5.0 of 5 Spa   |   119 Barangay Tipakan, Lipa City, Luzon 4217, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lipa City
Mannheim
“a once in a life-time experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

unfortunately i only stayed 2 nights at 'The Farm' but it's been a once-in-a-lifetime experience. due to my work i've seen & stayed at many hotels worldwide & in asia in particular and the tranquility, peace & excellency i experienced at the Farm have certainly been outstanding. the morning yoga-sessions were a particular highlight to start the day with. one should be open & informed about the food being served at the Farm (it's all vegan food) but being a novice to that kind of diet i was utmost impressed about the creativity & high quality of the food. it's certainly been the best i've had on my trip to the philippines. i can only highly recommend this place if you're looking for tranquility & peace of mind. check it out!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
hong kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

i just spent a long weekend there to detox and relax on the recommendation of a friend who went last year. its not for everyone, and you should be aware of exactly what your letting yourself in for, but for me it was just perfect !
on the downside ts pretty expensive, if it was cheaper (and i had more holidays), i would love to go 4 or 5 times a year. its just a great place to relax and get away from everything.
had several treatments/massage, all great with very well trained staff.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

Let me start off by saying that I'm definitely not a vegetarian, let alone vegan, but I thought I'd try out The Farm for a bit of much needed r&r , as I had a friend who wanted to go. I was a bit concerned, after booking the holiday, when I realised that this place is not only vegan, but mainly raw food vegan at that! However, all my worries were put to rest within half an hour of arrival.

First, the place is beautiful in a very natural, peaceful way. It wasn't the fanciest resort I've ever stayed at, but it was definitely top quality. Arriving at 2pm we were just in time for a late lunch, which we learned is always a five course affair! As is dinner, though for breakfast they let you off with just 3 courses and a smoothie...... Everything was delicious, from the starter of zucchini hoummus on crackers, to the creamy garlic soup, salad with a lovely lemony dressing, and hearty curry main course. A dessert of Indian sweets and chai was rich and satisfying, but I was already too full to eat it. Basically, every meal we had there was good, as were the smoothies and hot chocolate (there are also a few cooked dishes, including some nice pastas). I read a review before that said the person was often left hungry, but for us, we found there was so much stuff we often had to skip a course or two at lunch. Knowing that all the food is healthy for you also took away any guilt from feeling too full after dessert!

There are a couple of pools at The Farm, my favourite being the one outside of the spa. Perhaps that's just because that was my favourite area to begin with! The spa rooms are beautiful, with glass walls overlooking ponds and foliage, outdoor tubs and open air showers (it's all very private too though!). The treatments were also good, though they didn't offer a wide variety of facials.

Yoga is offered twice a day, in a peaceful outdoor setting which definitely got my mornings off to a good start! There are a few other daily activities, such as pilates, cooking demonstrations, guided tours etc. We stayed in their most basic rooms, the Sulu Terraces, which were nice, but the bathroom and bedroom are on different floors, and in the dark you have to be careful going down the steep steps outside the room that lead to the toilet. Which is probably why they give guests flashlights. So for elderly people I'd recommend staying in a garden or palmera suite instead. However, I really enjoyed the more basic accomodation. The only thing I'd say is that the bed linens were a bit rough and weren't what I'd expect from an expensive spa.

The staff at The Farm are all very accomodating and friendly, and on our way to the airport, the driver realised the traffic was much worse than anticipated (plus we were running behiond schedule), so he phoned the hotel, and they checked us in on line, doing as much as they could to make sure we didn't miss our flight!

All in all, I'd say The farm is a very peaceful place, perfect for those who want to just get away from it all, but not if you're looking for a very action packed holiday. I think there is a golf course nearby that guests can go to though. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the experience, and am already thinking about when I can next go again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2008

Visited the Farm when it was first opening. It was a fabulous time. They have built an experience that is unique and memorable.

The Farm is a German / Philippine managed company. And the owners have taken the approach that if you spend the time and money to acheive the best, then in the long run the business will stand out from all others. I can say they were correct.

This is a health centered spa - they serve 85% raw foods, no-smoking allowed, and have other detoxification programs.

The accomodations and landscape are desgined to enhance your journey into relaxation and rejuvanation.

It isn't cheap , but it is a unique and worthwhile experience. I cannot give it a better review.

Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

Upon arrival, you will immediately feel relaxed at the site of coconut trees and manicured gardens. The landscape is beautiful, incorporating the coconut trees with hundreds of plants.

Choosing a place like The Farm has got to be an informed decision. Visitors should know that this establishment prides itself on its wellness activities -- which I may say are quite good, but very very pricey -- and NOT on cuisine. Their resto serves partially cooked food, following the principle of 85/15 - 85% raw, 15% cooked in order to retain food's nutrients.

I thought the beautiful rooms, bathrooms to die for (my room had an outdoor shower!) will keep my mind off my grumbling tummy. The novelty lasted for only about 6 hours. Did I say that all beverages use coconut water as the base? So think fruit shakes with coconut water. Oh, and the chips are also made of dehydrated coconut. So after 6 hours, endless glasses of coconut water spiked drinks, I was about to feel detoxed! :)

Saving grace would be their noodles and pesto. Really yummy.

This place is very strict about smoking too. While sneaking a stick or so may not be hard since the villas are quite spread out, try kicking it while at the spa to maximize the detox experience.

The gift shop also carries nice masaage oils and scents. Perfect items to bring home.

• Liked — The luxurious rooms
  • Disliked — Quite hard to get to the hotel
  • Stayed July 2004, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

Beware, don't go alone or else you might just end up getting bored like me.

Date of Stay: May 2 to 4,2008
Room Type: Palmera Suite
Upgrade: Paid 11,000 pesos for an upgrade from the Sulu Terrace Suite because I read here that the bathroom is actually outside...so I don't want to have to go out in the middle of the night just to pee.
Amount Paid Per Night: FREE Voucher for 3D/2N
Reservation Method: Contacted the property directly (email)
Loyalty Card: none

Airport/Hotel Transfer: For tourists they offer transfers from the airport. But in my case I drove all the way to The Farm, it was about a 3 hour drive.

Location: Lipa, Batangas, don't get fooled by the map, its far from the city, really far...about 30 minutes on small roads that lead up to the farm.

Check-in: Arrived at 3pm, the room was ready of course. Check in was quick and they did a quick orientation about the Spa and facilities.

Room: Palmera Suite - Its a very private villa, although its a bigger villa divided into two you won't actually feel that way except when you hear your "neighbors" showering.

Has a nice garden where you can go sunbathing and a veranda where you can have a nice outdoor chat with your companion.

Bathroom is nice and spacious, has an outdoor rain shower, but you have to get under it to open the water, so you might get a cold "surprise" every time you take a shower.

Bed: The bed is okay, it's not really soft, quite firm actually, it's two single beds put together, they didn't have sheets to make it look like one bed.

Breakfast: Buffet, if i were you stick with the fruits and juices...hopefully that would be enough to last you until lunch. (as if it's any better)

Meals: Meals were part of the package, strictly vegetarian but don't expect clean simple flavors, they put so much spice into the food that sometimes its nauseating.

Check-out: Check out was fast, had to leave about 7am, actually I saw that the breakfast would be useless, so I ditched the place and drove to Tagaytay early because I'm meeting my family there for lunch anyway. So I had breakfast at Breakfast at Antonio's instead.

Overall Evaluation: Its a nice experience, don't go alone because you will be bored to your wits by the end of your stay. Lots of insect, I couldn't even sunbath without being distrurbed by ants, bees and bugs.

• Liked — The whole spa is nice...
  • Disliked — Food...could have been better
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

I have stayed at the Farm several times. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It is billed as a Health Resort, so everything is geared towards making you healthy.

The spa services are wonderful and the food is pretty tasty. You sometimes wouldn't even know that it is all vegetarian. They grow their own food in gardens around the property.

I could sit there all day and meditate. They have three pools.

If you stay in the Northern section, it is very quiet. There are no TVs or radios. There are also no children allowed in the Northern section.

The room was very nice. The bathroom was connected to the room and the shower was outside. It was connected to the bathroom via the sliding glass door, so it really was just part of the room. But it was nice the walls are tall enough so no one can see into the shower.

During my first stay, I found a gecko on the ceiling above my bed. It really creeped my out, so I went to reception and asked someone to remove it. It was gone in a few minutes. I can't fault the hotel though. It is in the middle of nature, so sometimes animals get in.

It is one of the best places to get away from it all. I wish I could live there.

• Liked — Pretty much everything
  • Disliked — When I had to leave
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Farm at San Benito? Share your experiences!