“A perfect retreat from the city” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
4Night Detox at Php58,000
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Lipa City
London, United Kingdom
“A perfect retreat from the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Where do you start to write a review on such a wonderful place?!

I stayed in a Garden Villa which meant I had a kingsize 4-poster bed in a spacious room. I also had my own private garden and a covered patio with a pair of sunloungers as well as chairs. There was plenty of room in the garden had I wanted to move this garden furniture into a sunny spot. To the rear of my bedroom there was an interior toilet and wash basin however both the bath and shower were outside. Even though this is the cool season for the Philippines (January) it was still warm enough to shower outside - the water can be run hot and it is a rain shower head.
The other feature about my room I liked was the screen doors that allowed airflow rendering the airconditioner redundant.

My room was probably about the furthest from the reception, restaurant, etc so I enjoyed total peace and quiet other than the joyous sound of nature.
It also meant I had a lovely walk through the wonderful grounds of the property.

The food served in the restaurant was delicious. I knew when I booked that it would be vegan and largely following the raw food principles. Although I am an omnivore this did not put me off and I can honestly say I didn't really notice the lack of animal products on my plate. The kitchen does an amazing job of blending interesting flavours and textures. For both meals I opted to go for the set menu although never all 5 courses as that would have been too much food for me.

I participated in the yoga classes. The instructor easily accommodated the various abilities of the class, giving alternatives. Class sizes were small but that probably varies week by week. The other great thing about the class is that it is held outside but under cover with a stunning view across a small lake to the volcano.

They offer a wide range of massage treatments and alternative/holistic therapies. These are a matter of personal belief, need and taste. I was very happy with the treatment I received. The therapist was very professional and took time to explain what she would be doing and what the benefits were as well as what I should consider working on after I had left the Farm.

True to its name, they also grow their own food here at the Farm and guests are free to wander around this.

I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: I loved the peace and quiet of room 16
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
VeganRules, Guest Relations Manager at The Farm at San Benito, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
We would like to thank you for taking the time of staying here with us. It was great to know that you had a peaceful retreat and enjoyed our lovely Garden Villa.

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Beautiful property, comforting rooms and an amazing vegan restaurant. We always enjoyed getting the schedule of the next days' activities and classes (from yoga to circuit training to hiking the grounds to a cooking class with the chef) each night at turndown, and every instructor exceeded our expectations.

However, it was the service from the staff - who were always professional, constantly cheerful, and went out of their way to accommodate us at every turn - which really made our stay special. We had been traveling for 2 weeks and badly needed laundry service. Done. We were craving a connection to the outside world (not Zen, I know) and asked for a TV in our room. Done. After we booked our ride to the airport, they called the room to suggest an earlier pickup in case we encountered traffic. They were right. We were even comped for several services in a way that gave the impression it just made them feel good to improve our stay.

Thanks to everyone involved. We would return anytime. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

i was able to secure a great deal at deal grocer. i was one of the people who were able to grab their 3 days and two night stay at the farm last december. i have been wanting to come to the farm since it is not far from where i am, i am just around cavite. i was so excited when i finally were able to get a confirmed booking. what can i say, i am lost for words on how simple, peaceful and collected the place is. i have the best two days of my life simply because, i could hardly get some peace and quiet from where i came from. the whole place was carefully planned, designed and well pit together exactly where they are supposed to be. i so loved their garden Villa that i wanted a place on my own exactly like one. the management was kin and gracious enough that they invited all their guest to participate and be part of the launch of their newest accommodation. i certainly will comeback sometime.

Room Tip: i personally like the garden villa, i can't say much about the other rooms but i am pretty sure...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Monterey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Can a place like this exist on earth? Apparently so. If you are to visit one place during your stay in Manila, stay one evening at the farm. Only an hour away and well worth it. I could not imagine a more beautiful setting. I'm afraid my spa treatment left me in a trance for about an hour or two after my treatment. Our meal at Alive! was healthy and delicious. It was truly a spectacularly memorable experience!

Stayed January 2014
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Farm between Xmas and NY and loved every minute. We were in a Narra Pool Villa which are quite new, spacious and very nicely decorated and with an excellent king bed, I slept like a baby every night. The grounds are beautiful and everything is very well maintained. It is great to walk around and enjoy the peace and quiet.

The food in the restaurant was excellent and beautifully served. The daily changing menu tempted us to go four or five course for both lunch and dinner. We liked it so much that we bought their book with healthy recipes and already made soMe at home. There is also a nice choice of organic beers and a reasonable choice of organic French and Italian wines.

The introduction at the health farm was very good, the doctor listened very well and recommended some treatments. I fell in love with the acupressure treatment, also referred to as Jin Shin Jyutsu. It is amazing how good I felt and how relaxed I was for hours afterwards.

The health sanctuary offers a nice selection of massages, facials etc, we enjoyed several ones and again felt much better afterwards. The facilities are beautiful.

We also took an introduction lesson into yoga which was more intensive than I thought but again a good experience. The location for this is stunning.

The staff are all very friendly, smiling and helpful, in particular the reception staff at the health centre, health sanctuary and Mona at the general reception.

The transfer from Manila airport was arranged by The Farm and all very relaxed so a fairly easy place to get to and an excellent stay to unwind and relax for some days.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We spent four nights at the Farm and came away with a renewed sense of well-being and serenity. We had really no preconceived notions about this place apart from having been drawn to the beautiful pictures, and upon arrival thought we might die of boredom. However, starting our stay with lunch, we were surprised by the amazing quality of the food. You could really taste the freshness of the ingredients and the thought that had gone into preparing them.

We stayed in one of the Palmera suites, which proved practical in that it was located fairly equidistant to both the restaurant and South pool on one side, and the gym and spa with its pool on the opposite end. The room was perhaps on the smaller side, with the bed not far from the entrance door. Likewise, the wardrobe was located inside the bathroom which was not very well-lit. We did however loved the outdoor shower as well as the coconut oil based toiletry products amply stocked in lovely porcelain containers. Unfortunately, we felt there was a lack of privacy in the room, as the back overlooked the outside gardens where a member of the landscaping staff could at any point appear. You will need to keep the blinds down at all times for reassurance thereby defeating the point of having a room with a nice view.

The Farm provides an orientation at its clinic as well as the spa to run through the various services available. As they did not offer any scientific evidence as to their proven clinical benefits nor of the potential risks (e.g. colonic irrigation) we were reluctant to use any of the services at the clinic. We did however use the spa which offered a wide range of treatments catering to every need. The ambiance at the spa was of pure peace and tranquility matched by experienced therapists and - as everywhere at the resort - genuinely friendly and accommodating staff. I found the spa prices however uncompetitive particularly given standard of costs and the Farm's location, discouraging us from availing of more treatments.

Guests are invited to take part in any of the scheduled daily activities, from boot camp and circuit training to aqua aerobics, yoga and meditation. We also took part in an Alive! cooking demo, where the chef walked us through the preparation of three dishes. Attendees however were limited to being observers only - perhaps it would be more interesting if the Farm turned this into a proper cooking course, which I am sure would delight guests. Likewise, the gym albeit not large, was sufficiently equipped and had a cool view of the jungle. I would also highly recommend the "Oil of Life" tour which takes you through every stage of the virgin coconut oil production process. While the premises no doubt were primitive, I was nevertheless not only reassured but also impressed with the purity of the products used and sold the Farm.

Overall, we had a really positive experience at the Farm. To us, the food ended up being the highlight of our stay as we were inspired to review our eating habits and begin the New Year with a healthy mind and body. I would definitely recommend to stay here if you're in need of relaxation as the Farm offers an ideal environment for reflection, introspection, balance, peace and tranquility.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

So who has ever spent time at a health farm? If it is something you enjoy, let me recommend The Farm at San Benito. This heavenly spot, tucked away amongst lush, green, jungle-wrapped hills, only a ninety minute drive from Makati. The grounds are picture perfect, as manicured as a tropical Disneyland with peacocks, ducks and geese lazing around deep ponds and swimming pools, or drifting aimlessly across thick green lawns. Walking paths wind past twenty four cottages and suites camouflaged by trees and thick shrubbery, and venture into hidden nooks and crannies where you can relax and meditate beside quiet pools and man-made waterfalls. Over one thousand feet above sea level, The Farm is bordered by 50 acres of organic coconut plantation, and the climate is delicious after the oppressive humidity of the city. Yet I don't go for the spas but for the food, as The Farm has a wonderful in-house restaurant: “Alive!”
Alive! feels like a tree house, light and spacious amongst the tree tops. The menu is vegan and mostly raw, and the philosophy is holistic – a new slant on the gourmand’s old adage, “you are what you eat.” In the kitchens at The Farm, they create meals in the belief that body and mind will suffer from a diet based on processed food and genetically modified ingredients, but that raw food can provide a positive outlook on life as well as the health benefits of increased energy, clearer skin, improved appearance, and a stronger immune system.
The culinary creativity is mind-boggling to someone whose dread of health farms and limited imagination had created a lunch consisting of a bowl of nuts and birdseed, lettuce and raw carrot. Instead, the chefs use real magic to transform raw vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruits and flowers into indescribably tasty and beautifully presented meals. With a large portfolio of recipes and a large vegetable garden a stone’s throw from the kitchen, the results include a five course set menu that changes daily. What is more, these experienced vegan chefs are quite happy to share a selection of their recipes in a beautiful cookbook: Raw.
‘Specially designed dehydrators… give raw foods a variety of textures resembling cooked foods, without destroying the nutritional properties and enzymes of the foods.’ Their attitude has won them numerous awards and many fans. And much to my delight, The Farm is realistic about such a diet, explaining that they do not recommend total abstinence from cooked food, but suggest 30% cooked, 70% raw, and their recipes follow suit.
So we sat down to a five course set menu.
A Vegetable Napoleon that defies description, but introduced me to an entirely new concept in food preparation, was followed by a bright and refreshing cold tomato and galangal soup.
The delectable Som Tam Salad is low in calories and high in fibre, with the common Asian preference for combining sweet, sour, hot and salty in a zesty dish of green papaya and lime, chili, fish sauce and honey.
A creamy coconut milk and vegetable curry served with potato crusted tofu and brown rice, this dish varies with the seasons. Wrapped in potato noodles and deep fried in olive oil, the tofu is a fascinating combination of firm tofu and crunchy potato.
The Bounty bar ice-cream, takes you into a different universe for desserts. Fresh coconut ice-cream topped with a thick layer of dark chocolate almost had me levitating with delight. On which note, I have nothing left to add...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Farm at San Benito? Share your experiences!