“Not boutique I'm affraid, price is far too high for the standard. Should be better for £100 per night.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Serendip Select Hotel

You added Serendip Select Hotel to your Saves list
Serendip Select Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kumlubuk, Marmaris, Kumlubuk, Turkey   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kumlubuk
Sleaford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just back from two weeks at the Serendip. My and I wife spotted this hotel on a day trip from Turunc a few years ago and decided to book as we liked the look of the hotel and the area. I will say from the outset that I am not generally a moaner and will try to remain objective..
We arrived very late approx 5.30 AM and our bags were carried to the room and the guy was about to walk away straight away, without any information about the hotel at all such as air con, breakfast the safe etc. I had to ask him.

THE ROOM
We went out to the balcony and noticed there was no light just wires bent round. This was the same for all balconies, not even sure if this was safe. We had a standard room. and there was a good sized wardrobe and good size firm double bed. Very strange duvet that appeared like a single, so either your feet stick out our you play the game of pulling it form side to side!!. Air con in the (first room I will explain later) worked well. later in the morning I spoke to reception and was shown how to use the safe again good touch. The furniture was adequate but nothing flash. The drawer in the bedside cabinet was falling out. Nice stone floor, room and bathroom a good size. I can recall three days where in the morning we had no water and had to go down and ask when it was coming back on. The showers were not always hot after 6.00PM
I also started to notice a bad smell each AM in the area just outside the room, this sometimes would be bad enough to come into the room. After breakfast one morning we nearly threw up as we got closer to the room the smell was that bad. It only seemed to be in the specific area close to about 3 rooms. I think we were 2 floors up. I thought enough was enough and tried to explain to the receptionist. She and another person said it was coming from Turunc and did not fully understand what we were saying. I don't think they believed me so I took her and another person to show them. We think it was a pipe near the room, but she offered us another standard room on the top floor. We took up the offer straightaway as neither of us would have been prepared to stay in the other room any longer. This was ok but again after a couple of days we both awoke in the early hours to a bad smell which we thought was the aircon. This room was above the restaurant. The smell was like sulphur and very strong. I turned off the aircon the smell seemed to linger in the room. I tried to explain this to the staff and she said it would been looked at. It was very odd that it only happened in the early hours. I decided to leave it turned off at night, as nothing changed the next day. There is a mini bar in the room coke 7.5 Lira and a small can of beer I think was 9.00 so expensive IMO.
SERVICE
Very few of the staff could speak or understand English and on occasions would get orders wrong. In most occasions we could get by. The latest Menu does not give any English descriptions that make sense for dishes, the receptionist did her best tried to translate but could not really give an adequate idea. To give an example one dish next to it had Chicken but private ?? and another three rosettes fire place. The couple of meals we did have were not al a carte as described. During one meal I did not get a starter as ordered. The waiter Abdula needs a mention as he was very nice and bought us some lovely fruit as an apology, he was great for the two weeks. Breakfasts were great lots to eat and variety was good, but let down by slow service. People on occasions were fetching there own forks and sugar etc and my perception was that certain groups seemed to get more attention.
AREA
The grounds were very nice lovely trees plants nice furniture, hammocks and an awesome swinging chair near the beach. Also restaurant has a great location near the beach. The hotel area is perhaps the quietist along the whole beach and is meant for hotel guests. Did get busy when day trippers came. I thought it was for hotel guests only.
Good size sunbeds and umbrellas. The best ones are taken very early and some have towels on them that are left nearly all day without people using them. Very nice pool area that is quiet, but few sunbeds. Staff will bring drinks to the beach if you go ask. TIP ask for an ice bucket for your water. The beach is I am afraid does have a lot of cigarette buts. The sea is great very clear for snorkelling and lots of different fish and there is a couple of coves nearby, just wait for the day trippers to leave !!. There are water sports if you want them but are expensive. I could not find boat trips from Kumbuluk, but you can get a water taxi to Amos and Turunc. We took the bus as very cheap at 4 lira to Turunc which as lots of gift shops and good supermarkets. Amos is a lovely bay, but now seems busier as does Turunc than a few years ago. I feel If you are looking for a beach / reading relaxing holiday it will tick those boxes, but I would not I am afraid go back to the Serendip. The Restaurant next door called the Maris Beach needs a mention as they are a Great Bunch and the food / service is excellent. The manager is great for local information and a nice bar area for a relaxing evening drink. The hotel can arrange a transfer at 200tl to Dalaman, expensive but recommended.

Room Tip: Take a higher room for sea views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

First time I saw water shortage in a hotel ! Rooms are terrible there is no carpet or laminate just stone. Room decoration is very bad. There is no paints on the wall. There is no curtain. I paid 250TL for this room but it does not deserve more than 100TL. I do NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: It is better to go to Turunc (near town) and find better and cheaper hotel. Do NOt waste your time a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Kumlubuk hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were looking for a peaceful hotel of a good standard for a few days stay for a small group of friends prior to our annual gulet cruise from Marmaris. We booked the Serendip after reading previous guest reveiws and they were pretty much spot on. The staff are marvellous and looked after us really well - when we asked if we could spend a day at the hotel at the end of our cruise whilst awaiting a late evening flight, they couldn't have been more helpful and we enjoyed a relaxing end to our holiday. Yes the location is pretty remote but that isn't a problem - during the day we considered it an advantage - its beautiful and peaceful. In the evening for dinner, as an alternative to the international style fare (of excellent quality) at the hotel, there is an inexpensive and quite good Turkish restaurant next door, a few steps along the beach. A few steps in the other direction is the yacht club which attracts an affluent and relatively trendy crowd - we went to the bar there for drinks after dinner on a couple of evenings and did eat there once (they were having a busy night so things were less than perfect but we would go again). The early evening boat into Turunc is another option - the town could do with a bit of a spruce up but has plenty of shops and we had a good meal there one evening. If there were two things we could change about the hotel, one might be breakfast which is served at the table and is very good but we would probably have preferred a buffet. The other thing is the pool area - the pool itself is wonderful - enormous, well maintained and, while we were there, practically deserted - great for a serious swim. But the area around the pool would benefit from some furniture and a little care - it had a rather folorn appearance which was a pity. But that is really being quite picky. Our rooms were lovely - we were on the first floor so the view was obscured by the lush vegetation but we expected that - the views from the rooms higher up must be spectacular. Above all we felt very wecome and well looked after in quite luxurious surroundings. We will definitely be back and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Serendip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor and above have the views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed 4 days in the hotel and had a great experience. Our wishes were command to the service teams no matter if we were asking for support or for some extras. There was never a "we can't do". The hotel has a beautiful beachfront and is surrounded by mountains and trees - it's green everywhere whereas the sea is clear and turquoise. The bay is quiet and peaceful especially after the high season in July and August where some boats explore the bay. The best place to relax and to avoid the all inclusive crowd. The rooms are very clean, convenient and furnished very stylish.
Aysegül

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

After much indecision about whether to stay at the Dionysos Estate, or Serendip Select, Kumlubuk we chose Serendip as it was right on the beach. I have to say - it was fabulous. I could see from their web site that it looked lovely, but I think it was even better in reality. It is situated on a lovely small quiet bay. So - where to start?

This small boutique hotel is beautifully and quietly located looking out across the sea to mountains, amidst the most lovely scenery. You can't see a 'sea horizon' from the hotel, it's more like staying on a very large lake. Apparently the hotel has very recently undergone a major renovation and refurbishment, everywhere is pristine and cleanliness is obviously high on the agenda. Rooms - we had a standard - are not luxurious but are nice, a reasonable size, very clean, and comfortable, with just about as much furniture (all new) as one needs e.g. a large wardrobe with plenty of shelving and hanging space, a minibar with TV on top and 2 bedside tables. The bed was comfortable although quite a firm mattress. The bathroom was brand new, with a good shower and nicely tiled, in fact new floor tiles throughout the hotel, frequently mopped! We had a small balcony with seating for 2, (suites have 2 rooms and 2 balconies), but the trees between the hotel and the beach obstructed views of the sea. We were on the 1st floor, upper rooms would have more of a sea view. We spent so little time during the day in our room that it didn't matter. The air conditioning was good. There are not many rooms and suites at this hotel and no lift.

Outside there is a large and very pretty shaded area, lots of trees and casual seating, and next to this a shingly beach with widely spaced sunbeds and umbrellas. The sea was warm and crystal clear. There is a jetty with steps down into deep water if you don't fancy going in the sea off the stony beach, although the stones are very small. Almost next to the beach is a super large freeform pool which was almost always empty. There is a small bar in the shady area.

Breakfasts were, unusually, not buffet but brought to the table. Fair variety, often something different. One morning we had spicy scrambled eggs, a Turkish dish, delicious. Evening meals were very good, there was a fairly extensive menu, but the chef told us he would cook anything we fancied as long as he had enough notice. This was because we had made the comment that we would like to try more typically Turkish food. He was so obliging - everyone was. We were only there for 6 days so stuck to the menu but if we had stayed longer we would most certainly have taken him up on his offer and sampled more typically Turkish food.
The wine was expensive, about 90 Turkish lira a bottle (about £30) much cheaper in the restaurant next door. Having said that, wine is expensive in Turkey. The meals were comparable in price to an average nice British restaurant. We ate at the hotel every night, we were going to try the restaurant next door, which was certainly cheaper, but never got round to it.

If you want to travel around a bit, a car is essential. We didn't bother, just chilled most of the time. We went to Turunc one evening, about 4 or 5 kilometres away - 25 euros round trip by taxi, no dolmuses here. This was quite expensive compared to the taxi charges in the Kas and Kalkan area. You can also take one of the boats to Turunc late afternoon, which comes over during the day, and then return by taxi. Incidentally, Turunc isn't particularly appealing, not like Kas and Kalkan in the south.

On one side of the hotel is a cafe/restaurant, on the other the rather swish Kumlubuk Yacht Club, with their own restaurant, loungers and parasols. There were never more than about a dozen boats moored there, mainly yachts and motor cruisers.

If you want to chill out this is a super place to stay, so quiet. However, there is a daily boat trip from Marmaris, which at first seems noisy when everyone is told by microphone to be back on board by whatever time and music playing. It soon quietens down. They are deposited further down the beach where there is another restaurant/cafe and lots of loungers, and usually everyone stays there! Sometimes there is more than 1 day tripper boat, they moor about 150 or so metres away. I think they are there until about 3 ish.

We booked this hotel independently but apparently a company called Cachet Holidays has this hotel in their programme. We met some nice people who had used this company. Everyone we spoke to at this hotel loved it. It was also nice that there were different nationalities staying here.

I must mention a lovely lad called Ahmet who was particularly attentive whether at the bar, breakfast time or dining in the evening - forgot to mention the attractive dining area beside the beach. He spoke good English, most of the staff spoke some English and there was never a language problem. All the staff here were very pleasant. I booked the hotel directly and spoke to Dilek who was charming. She arranged the taxi transfers with an excellent small company - safe drivers!

I would mention again that this is a very quiet spot so anyone looking for a lively holiday - don't come to Kumlubuk, although it may be more lively way up on the Dionysos Estate (Exclusive Escapes). My husband and I loved it here and definitely hope to return. We paid about 140 euros a night B & B, more than we usually pay in Turkey, but for a hotel of this quality in such lovely surroundings beside the sea, it is not expensive when compared with some of the other Mediterranean countries.

Room Tip: If you want a good view, you would need to book a room on a high floor (I think there are only 4 fl...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Izmir
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Well, I was a little bit lazy about writing this comment :) With my wife we select this hotel for a weekend getaway. Our primary wish is find a place away from crowd. And Seredip Select offers excatly this. It is a little bit south of Icmeler, which is not a close place to Marmaris. The sea was amazing, it is green-blue...As for the beach, don't expect sandy beach but it is still nice...The food was amazing, as far as I remember they had a very good chef from one of the Istanbul's most popular place. Rooms doesn't have a "desing-touch" but if you seek tranquility this is the place in Marmaris...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pocklington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

My wife and I booked the week after a week on a Gulet cruise with Anatolian Sky. The transfers from the boat in Marmaris ran smoothly and we had a lovely quiet week in a lovely location. The Hotel was in a beautiful location and the rooms were spacious and extremely comfortable. The brochure said quiet and quiet it was ! The Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, the meals were of a good standard and priced themselves comparably with the two neighbouring eating establishments. The beach was nice and quiet, as was the very smart pool. The Hotel owner and his staff could not do enough to help. It was my first visit to Turkey and I was more than impressed

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Serendip Select Hotel? Share your experiences!