“Enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Altinkum
exeter
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I went in july with my boyfriend, I had read the mixed reviews before hand and was a little nervous but I had a really lovely time. The coach journey to the hotel was long but this was to be expected in Turkey; I was tired from the flight so just slept anyway. When we arrived we were checked into our room which was comfortable and had all the things i needed in it. afterall you dont go on holiday to spend much time in your room.

LOCATION: the hotel is close to a nice beach with lovely warm water however in the height of the summer there is no breeze so gets very hot and it is a favourite spot for locals. Therefore being a small beach it gets very busy very quickly.
There are a few bars/restaurants around the hotel however if you get the local bus (dolmus) which stops right outside the hotel it can take you down into dolphin square (about 5 mins away for the equivalent of 40p) where there is a huge market selling fake handbags etc, another beach, restaurants, bars, clubs, ice cream stands and it has a great atmosphere. We spent most nights down here. The dolmus bus can take you anywhere in didum for 40p so is well worth the journey and the assistant who takes your money will tell you where to get off.

FOOD: If you are expecting michelin star food then dont bother but there is always plenty of choice and a huge salad bar which always look appetising. The waiters are constantly clearing the tables of plates and cutlery so i found there was always a clean table to sit on. If you are looking for english food then i suggest you go somewhere else. As a turkish hotel they serve turkish food but i think if youre in the country you should try it atleast. they do however serve the chips chicken etc to please the kids. There is also a chef outside who cooks stir fry or kebab or pasta to order which is lovely. They dont do room service but when my boyfriend was ill (too sunburnt so couldnt go outside) they helped me to get a plate of breakfast for him and carried it to the room for me.

HOTEL: The entertainment staff were really good around the pool -always making an effort with the children and adults alike. We made good friends with them and there was plenty to do in the day - football, water polo etc. We made use of the hotel spa which you have to pay for but got a lovely turkish bath which i would highly recommend! The rep in our hotel from first choice wasnt too great though as i never saw him apart from the initial meeting. The beds were comfy and had everything i needed.

All in all a lovely week away but dont go if you are expecting 5*

Room Tip: We had a room with a view of the pool and sea which was a lot nicer than another room we saw with a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I arrived on this holiday worried and on edge. The coach to the hotel was a nightmare and felt really uncomfortable. I didn't mind the food as i'm not fussy. Im 24 years old and went with my girlfriend. I felt pressured when the entertainment team would ask to join in with the games around the pool as i just wanted to relax and enjoy my stay. The staff towards my girlfriend would be flirtatious and did start to annoy me after a week. I would just like to let couples know that if you DO decide to go to this hotel then stay away from the Turkish men around the pool on "Turkish night" as they said some nasty, horrible and intimidating things towards me and my gf! i would not go to this hotel again. Me and my gf did enjoy the Turkish massage and the weather was great. we meet some lovely people!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Myself and boyfriend were looking for all inclusive, we had friends go to Turkey so thought we would to. Young couple we weren't really worried where we went just somewhere clean, nice food and time away as first holiday together. Well the coach transfer from airport to hotel was so frightening we made a complaint the next day to the rep! This was the start of a bad holiday. In brief, hotel had dirty plates and cups left all over the corridors, the managers were very rude, the food was the same every day, was always cold and what was for breakfast was made into a stew for dinner and tea, the rep came and ate some of it an complained to manager aswell. On talking to the rep she said that this had been a problem all year but the managers wont rectify the problem and that she doesnt think first choice will be advertising them this year. The food was so horrible we ate out in the end costing us alot more money. The restaurants around the area however are very nice but english food! We understand we booked a late deal but we paid full price and the hotel literally closed around us, There are no room facilities and you cant drink the water here so you have to pay for bottled water, hotel do not supply. Mini bar you pay per item and no room service either!
I looked on here before i booked this holiday and had mixed reviews, I wish i listened to the bad ones they are true! I will never go to Turkey again!! I hope I help at least one person save there money!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We holidayed in this hotel during the late October half term break. The weather was warm enough to sunbathe in my bikini and sunbeds were plentiful. Our room was very good & clean and the public areas clean & of a 3/4* standard. We booked as a couple into the hotels own spa, and enjoyed a 2hr cuple's session with sauna, foam and aromatherapy massage, which I can fully recommend. However, this is were the good review ends. Because this was the last week of the season everything was gradually packed away over the week. Although there was an outdoor theatre this was not used and the only evening entertainment was a nightly music quiz in the foyer bar. Although the 2 remaining members of the animation team tried there best this was not up to the usual standard we are used to & had expected when booking. The food was adequate enough on the first 2 days but soon became monotonous & boring! Luchtime food was the previous night's leftovers! It was lukewarm & if you were got there near closing time the food had been cleared away as the staff seemed in a rush to be off! We ate out for the last 3 evenings (not good when you pay for all-inclusive). Only chips were available from the pool bar & on the last 2 days even these were not available. We made use of the local buses into Altinkum itself, but even this was also disappointing as the shops, bars & restaurants there were either closed of getting ready to close for the end of season.
To top it all on our return we had to endure a 2 1/2 hr journey back to the airport in a stuffy minibus, and a 1 1/2 hr queue at check-in. Would we go there again? Certainly not!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

It's taken me all this time to pluck up the courage to write this review, because even now I cannot believe what an awful place this is and what a horrible holiday we had. We are a family of four who stayed at the GOS for a week in August. Food was dreadful - I mean who has ever had sprouts for breakfast! Service was appalling, rooms dirty, swimming pool dangerous (I'm 5' 3" and couldn't touch the bottom of the pool anywhere). Our coach broke down on the way from the airport to the hotel - yes what nightmares are made of in searing heat on a make shift hard shoulder - so we were delayed by an hour and our room still wasn't ready! All in all it was the worst holiday in my 30 years of holidaying abroad, so please, please if you have already booked this place, try and change your booking as its just a complete waste of your hard earned money.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We attended this hotel for Mid-Term, from the 27th of Oct to 3rd of Nov 2012. This hotel and resort has to rank as the worst place we've ever had the misfortune of visiting. The Garden of Sun is a dated and filthy place, that you would struggle to give a 1 star rating. From stray dogs and cats strolling around the grounds, with cats even in the restaurant jumping up on unattended tables, eating left overs. And believe me they must have been hungry to eat that stuff. We paid £1,600 for 1 week All Inclusive and ate out for the last 5 days, it was disgusting. We've had some fantastic holiday's in Turkey over the last 5 years, mainly in Belek, so fully understand and appreciate the standards on offer in this fantastic country. Believe me when I say this place does not need a face-lift, it needs demolishing !
And as for Altinkum, it reminded me of Benidorm in 1985. I would recommend you holidayed in a war zone before booking here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We spent a week 22nd - 29th October at the worst 4star hotel we have ever holidayed in.The hotel was not clean, the majority of the staff were unbelievably miserable, food was constantly cold, and mundane.The Hotel will be officially downgraded next season to a 3 star, but we paid 4star prices, not happy!! The area of Altinkum is also very poor, we walked along the beach one afternoon, and was appalled to find the beach littered in hundreds of fag butts, bottle tops and broken glass. Turkey is a beautiful country to visit, but this resort and hotel have let them down.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Garden of Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!