“Wonderful friendly Beach Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Orion Hotel
Gocler Mevkii Caddesi No 24, Altinkum 09270, Turkey   |
Ranked #6 of 31 hotels in Altinkum
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wonderful friendly Beach Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

My friends and i have had several holidays at the Orion , i myself have been going there since 1996. I can honestly say we have always found the staff exceptional help and friendly . Maid service is very good , always cheerful and clean our rooms everyday . The hotel is situated right on the beach which is natural ,to wake up in the morning and open the curtains to that wonderful view over sea is just mesmorising. The sea is very safe for children and for those non swimmers like myself , i can walk way out in the sea and it still be only up to my waist and i'm not 7ft tall either . The hotel itself is very clean and the food is exceptional , even if you are a fussy eater no one could complain about the food . Value for money ! i would defy anyone to find a better situated hotel with all it's benefits , friendly , clean, the views , food, inexpensive to find somewhere cheaper. There has been a problem with the noise from the local bars , but they have now installed double glazing in the rooms , so that problems has been eliminated . Anyway the bars are brilliant so way not join them , who wants to stay the room whilst they are on holiday !! it's there to enjoy !!. I love the Orion and will always be a guest there , over the years i have introduced many of my friends to Altinkum all of which have stayed in this hidden gem and everyone of them has been back on several occasions with and without me . I wanted to keep this place to myself but found it hard not to share . Please make a point of visiting this 3 star hidden Gem and i'm sure you will have a wonderful holiday and return over and over again much like myself. love you all Jackie ,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Darlington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

We arrived late and retired straight away, when we woke we noticed that there was no towels in the room, we asked the very uninterested reception person and he said we could not have towels for an hour.

Obviously told him this was not acceptable he must have misunderstood but I had explained that there was no towels at all.

The towels arrived, now we have being going to Turkey for 20 years and this was by far the worst reception we had received, we were told the hotel was on its third Manager this year this one was not a lover of british people even the staff were not keen on him.

He had been requested to play english music and refused as well as entertainment which again was refused even down to the football he would only play Turkish football on the large screen.

We continued to be shocked at the lack of standards our room was on the 5 th floor this hotel was being cleaned by 2 cleaners so by the time they reached our floor they were not that interested we had to ask for the cleaners to be spoken to requested by other guests as well.

The waiters would not pay attention to you at meals which we where informed had been briefed down to them so you had to demand service before you got it however the Turkish people got priority all the time.

One day the cleaner washed the main floor with a dirty mop and made the place smell awful it had to be done again even after complaining the shower room was still not cleaned so we had to clean this ourselves.

But the last straw was when they said I had a bill for water now we didnt order water all the time we stayed I pointed out that the signature was not mine by checking it against my passport.

Will we be going back, No.

As for Turkey we will probably give it a rest for a while its got expensive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
northwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I cannot say I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, simply because of the room allocation we got.. The front of the hotel goes round like a semi circle and the rooms are full sea view and I should imagine are the only one’s that you will get any sleep in. The side sea view rooms are too close to the back road with all the loud bars. Unfortunately our room was number 415 which is one of the four back rooms directly overlooking the bars. Believe me if you intend to go to bed before 3.30 any night you will not get any sleep. It’s not so much that the bars are loud, they are excessively loud and each one seems to be repeating the same format of dancers/ karaoke/competitions you can’t hear just one, as they all overpower each other . YMCA,/MACARENA/CHA CHA SLIDE etc etc, then the howling of flat out of tune karaoke, OMG it’s absolutely awful. We booked this hotel as a late deal and although we did ask for a change of room we were told the hotel was full.
I can understand why this hotel gets some good reviews, because the beach location is fabulous. Eating your breakfast right next to the beach is lovely. And if you get a sea view room it must be idyllic. The hotel itself is fine, clean basic 3 star. The food is nice, breakfast is typical Turkish and evening meal is fine although not a great choice. We found it quite amusing when the bell rang to start and there was a rampage to queue for the food.
The reception staff are not so much ignorant as docile. I jokingly asked for a patio chair as if I had to put up with the noise I might as well sit on the balcony with a drink and listen to it, but no chair ever came. If you’re a night owl and will not be coming home till the early hours, then just want to crash out on the beach then this hotel will be ideal for you. But for anyone else – please don’t attempt it unless you get a front seaview, or you intend to be paralytic, you won’t get any sleep! It’s a shame really as it totally spoils an otherwise decent hotel. And because of this I simply could not recommend it to a friend. The rep said this was a constant source of complaint here.
If you do go to Altinkum to this area which is known as 2nd beach, I would like to recommend a bar for great service and food, Charlie’s bar just down the back road, is owned by a lovely Scottish woman and does lovely food. And if you walk along the dirt track/coastal track along the side of the Tuntas hotel there is a great little small beach where you can hire a dilapidated sun bed and parasol from Ray, who will serve you cold drinks and barm cakes from his little shack. We walked the length of Altinkum to find some other form of entertainment , maybe a couple of singers/ a live band but nothing. Every bar had the same routine, - break dancers/ sexy boys/Michael Jackson/play your cards right/ karaoke etc. It simply wasn’t my cup of tea, but I have never seen a resort so packed, so obviously loads of people are loving it. And a holiday is what you make of it., We made the most of the fab weather and beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We have just spent the past 10 days at the Orion Hotel Altinkum. We had a room overlooking the pool and the sea. The room was large,the bathroom a good size with the equivalent of a power shower! Maid service was excellent, the rooms were cleaned daily and towels replaced if you left them out for her. The hotel is only a 3 star though I cant understand why. The service is excellent, the pool cleaned daily, the waiters are attentive, sociable, and really polite as are the reception staff. We stayed on a half board basis and there was a varied breakfast and at dinner there were 2 or 3 choices, with chips. pasta or rice. There was also a huge amount of vegetables and salads. The sweet section held an array of sticky puddings to fresh fruit, cherry's apricots, melon. Meals are all served on the patio surrounding the pool, overlooking the sea and beach. There are a couple of pool tables, sky telly and free wifi access. There was entertainment on some of the evenings, Belly dancer,Break dancers, and some Turkish 'Singers'. The only drawback to this hotel would be the noise from Linekars and the British Bar over the road, this would only affect you if you had a room facing them. Linekars, wasnt for me, but the lads at the British Bar were lovely and work really hard to keep you entertained. This end of altinkum is the quiter end, it's not as busy as the Dolphin square end but you can take a 5 mins stroll to get to it, straight up the main road, or catch a Dolmus for 1.50 lira. We did a trip to Ephesus for £25 each, which was amazing and there are lots of other trips to choose from Darius travel. We also ate and drank down at Funky Forest which is by the Tuntas hotel on the beach, that was well worth a visit. They also have a kids play area. Still cant believe the Orion is only a 3*, I have stayed in 4 stars in other countries that dont rate in comparison. Met some lovely people there, and most of them have been visiting the hotel for years!! We booked through Sunshine.Co.Uk and got a great deal. A lovely relaxing holiday with no complaints.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Already aware from other reviews of the noise from neighbouring Karaoke bars we asked for a pool view on arrival and were given one. Side and rear rooms are very noisy until around 3.00a.m. Fine if you are young and don't want to sleep before then.
The rooms are basic but clean. Towels were changed every other day and the bedding was changed twice during our week long stay. Breakfast left a lot to be desired. The pool was cleaned daily but during our stay I didn't see the surrounding sunbed area cleaned once. This is something that really needs attending to.The location couldn't be better. Straight out of the pool area onto the beach and a beautiful sea for bathing.
Eating out in Altinkum is cheap and good. Asia Minor, across from the hotel entrance offered good food at a reasonable price. If you walk along the promenade towards the centre you will come across Temmuz Restaurant. We had some lovely evening meals here and can really reccommend them. Do try their Turkish meals, they are delicious.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
istanbul
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

The hotel food is delicious, hotel is close sea that is beatiful, but pool is so small. I couldn not swin in pool. Pool looks quite large in the picture that puslised on website. Drinks are poor.

Mustafa

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
DURHAM
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

We stayed at the Orion Hotel from 17/09/09 to 24/09/09 on Bed and Breakfast basis.

We arrived at the hotel at approximately 0730hrs after a long journey, we were greeted by friendly english speaking staff at reception who checked us in quickly. We did have to pay £21 for the air conditioning in the room and £7 for the use of a safety deposit box at reception, however we weren't expecting these for free.

The Breakfast in the hotel was not great and consisted of olives, cheese, bread and salami a full english was available for 8TL. We never ate at the hotel for our evening meal so could not comment on the food. For a decent breakfast go and see Fred at Altinkum Restaurant accross the street.

The rooms were not very big however were big enough for what we needed. We were in room 511 which has a side/sea view. However the noise below coming from Linekers Bar and the British Pub is appaling and does not stop untill after 3am in the morning. The entertainment in these bars appears to be more for the benefit of the entertainers than it is for the customers.

The pool area has a bar and terrace with shaded area. The pool itself is quite cold but is very nice when you have been out in the sun all day and is a short stroll from the beach.

I would stay at the Orion again but only if I could be guaranteed a room facing the sea, this is simply because of the noise coming from Linekers and the British Pub was way over the top. This hotel must lose a lot of otherwise satisfied customers because of the noise which is a shame because it is of no fault of their own.

All in all the Orion is clean, basic and a good hotel. I would not go as far to say it is a four star hotel as is listed in some brochures. The staff are very pleasent and attentative with room cleaning, towel/linen change every other day.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Orion Hotel? Share your experiences!