“Great Breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Brisbane
“Great Breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is a great place for breakfast, have been a few times and it has been great. We went once for dinner and it was good but not as great as in the morning.

Visited October 2013

Wgtn, NZ
“Pleasant staff in this eatery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

But travelling with a friend we found the food here simply average & decidedly overpriced, nor were the servings particularly large. My friend's veges were undercooked, not returning here...

Visited April 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Never to return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

On Friday my friend and I visited Sail Rock Café. We decided on this café because their menu highlighted offering gluten free pizzas and upon arrival we found a few nice outdoor bar tables in the sun so it looked like the perfect option.

The young girl who greeted and seated us, gave us the menus and took our drinks order was friendly and efficient. Unfortunately the rest of our service was by another waitress who by investigating I have found was the owner, Margaret.

Margaret came across to take our order and then mid-sentence wandered off to sort out a wondering dog and call the owners. There was no “sorry won’t be a minute or excuse me” she just disappeared. When she came back my friend asked for a Small Gluten Free pizza and Margaret grunted quite rudely “well it will have to be medium as that’s all we have gluten free, that’s if we have any left”. We went along with this and I ordered a standard pizza. After about 10 minutes she came back and advised they didn’t have any gluten free bases but she could do a pizza on some gluten free bread – I think this makes it a sandwich. My friend advised she’d have the chicken salad instead. It amazes me that at the start of a weekend when lots is on in town (Wine & Food Festival, Walking Weekend, Art Trail) they would not have any gluten free bases when this is highlighted so much on their menu.
About 30 minutes after we had ordered the sun had gone it was getting cold so we moved indoors and told the lady at the bar we had moved. Now 40 minute since we ordered, Margaret finally came out with our order but went to the original table and with a gruff look on her face just stood there staring at the table, we tried waving out to her but she wasn’t even looking around so we got up and went to get her. She then told us in an annoyed voice that “we were naughty girls for moving and told us we needed a smack” – this would have been fine if she’d bothered to build a friendly rapport with us previously but it came across, rude and unprofessional. I explained that we had told the lady at the bar we’d moved but she wasn’t listening.
We weren’t offered another drink so made our way to the bar, however the lemon lime and bitters was unavailable because they had no lime….I’m amazed that a bar will run out of limes or lime cordial at the start of a weekend.
To the food. I ordered the small Picnic Bay pizza, described as Chicken and Brie on a Cranberry base. The chicken was smoked and quite dry and there was hardly any on the pizza. My friend ordered the Chicken Salad which sounded quite nice but looked and tasted very plain and definitely not worth $20.

The group at the table next to us were complaining about Margaret as well. I heard her saying they were very busy tonight but it was probably about half full with about 30 people. From what I could see they had 3 front of house staff and at least 2 in the kitchen and from working in restaurants, bars and cafes this is more than staff to efficiently serve this amount of people. If they can’t handle doing full table service then perhaps they should change to bar ordering.

A couple of women entered just before we left were told abruptly “you need to come up here (where she was standing at the bar) before you go and sit down”.

I definitely will be warning everyone I know to keep away from this place. It’s a shame that a nice little venue, handy for those staying at Mangawhai Heads is ruined by the owner who has no idea of customer service, giving extremely poor service and very average food. I see from many other review sites I’m not the first to have this problem.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Helpful staff but food average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stopped here to ask directions for accommodation which turned out to be unavailable, and the owner/manager then helped us to find alternative accommodation nearby. We were able to walk to the cafe for a meal and enjoyed some wonderful NZ Pinot Noir while looking at menu. We shared a seafood chowder, served with house bread for $12.50 and which was very tasty. I had the warm scallop and bacon salad, $23, which was also very good. The disappointment was the much touted salt and pepper squid (Highly recommended on menu as an almost religious dining experience! LP 2006, 2008, 2010). It wasn't. However we had a pleasant night, although very long waits for meals with nearby customers making rather a loud fuss.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Terrible meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Have just returned from a short holiday in Mangawhai where unfortunately our one meal out was at this cafe. I have never previously written a review but have felt quite angry about the poor quality combined with overpricing. I had the salt and pepper squid which the menu claims to have been highly recommended for several years by tripadvisor - the squid was undercooked, but worse still, the coating tasted like an uncooked mess of flour and water. My husband and son both had pizzas which not only looked incredibly unappetizing, but also tasted appalling. I did not complain at the time as my family would have been embarrassed by this, and we ate this disgusting food rather than waste about $100.

• Visited January 2014