We booked to stay for 9 nights in the Cook Islands as an add-on to a tour of New Zealand. On arrival at the airport in Rarotonga we had been told to report to the Island Hopper desk but they were not expecting us but then nor was the rep at the Rarotongan Beach Resort airport desk. After several telephone calls we were bundled onto a bus and transferred to the resort. The setting for the resort is idyllic and we had been allocated a garden room in the main part of the resort. Unbeknown to us there was an adults only section called the Sanctuary and whilst we were welcome to use that area for lunch, dinner and drinks (at pretty high cost) we were not allowed to take breakfast there and had to take breakfast in a canteen type area with heaps of ill-behaved, noisy children. Breakfast is billed as a tropical breakfast and a couple of eggs attracted a surcharge of 18 NZ dollars. As regards the food It is expensive, but then you are a captive audience because of the remote nature of the hotel. Lunch dinner and a couple of drinks/coffees added up to close on £150 (300 NZDollars) a day.
Whilst we were there a temporary pool had to be installed so that the swimming pool could be repaired. The building work that followed restricted access to some areas and a cloud of dust had to be endured during daylight hours. The dust crept into every area of the main building.
The staff were lovely and invariably greeted you warmly wherever you went. The service was at island speed (leisurely).
Internet provision was expensive (15 NZ dollars for 50mb) and did not last long.
The most exasperating feature of this stay was the final day. We were due to be picked up for transport to the airport at 2130 for a 2359 flight to Los Angeles. Check out was at 1000 and the temperature during the day was humid and in the 30s. We had to pay an additional 155 NZ dollars (£80) for late check out at 1800.
We loved the beach location, the aircon in the room was a godsend and the people were great but we were so disappointed with the cost of Internet and food (which was very good at dinner) and the money-grabbing approach on the last day
- Also Known As:
- The Rarotongan Beach Hotel Aroa Beach
- The Rarotongan Beach Resort And Spa
- The Rarotongan Beach Hotel
- Rarotongan Beach Resort
- Rarotongan Beach Resort Spa
- The Rarotongan
- Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa
- The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa Rarotonga/Aroa Beach
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.