“Lovely private and quiet location on the lagoon” 4 of 5 stars

You added Main Islander On The Beach Holiday Properties to your Saves list
Main Islander On The Beach Holiday Properties
Cook s, Vaimaanga 682, Cook Islands   |
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely private and quiet location on the lagoon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the main house with the larger deck in August '11. It really is a magical looking straight out across the lagoon from any window which gives the place its charm. The house is unpretentious, some may find it a little too well worn, but it fits in well with the surroundings and laid back atmosphere of the island. It feels more like a holiday home rather than holiday accommodation if that makes sense. It's worth bringing a stock of food with you for self catering purposes as everything on the Cook Islands is limited and very expensive (Customs showed no interest in all our Japanese stuff bought in LA). Fresh veges, meat or fish can be purchased from the local store (Wigmores) to supplement anything you bring. We went to a resort one night for a dinner and a show - that was more than enough for us. Solitude and quietness is what makes this place special (so long as there's no-one staying next door). Relax and enjoy doing nothing except swimming with all the fish at your backdoor.

The only let down was arriving on a 5am flight from LA, then making our own way to the place ($60 cab fare), only to find that the key hadn't been left out. (F&#K!) This was despite us reconfirming all details prior to arrival. It was still dark and after much groping around, we had to seek help from Wigmores as our phones didn't work. It's open early which was a godsend, and they were very helpful. When Geoff finally turned up after dawn, it was all good, but it wasn't a good way to start - especially considering we'd paid a full night for early check-in (No refund or discount offered - should've asked). It's certainly no hotel, but you can't expect that it'll be like one I guess.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed at the Sunset Beach Bungalos. The place itself was nice and exactly what I was looking for. Quiet and comfortable. The owner Geoff however was a different matter. He picked me up from the airport and took me to the place no problem but as part of his showing me around felt the need to tell me about a previous guest who had left a vibrator and X rated movie behind in the safe. If this made me uncomfortable it was nothing compared to a couple of days later when he brought it around and offered it to me. Totally inappropriate and unwelcome.
On the Thursday before I was to leave he came by (the 5th visit in 4 days) and we agreed he would pick me up at noon on Saturday for my 1.45pm flight (I showed him my travel documents) By 12.20 he had not arrived and when I rang his wife she said he would be there by 1. I explained my flight was at 1.45 and that was too late and she said it was OK he was on his way. When he still hadn't arrived by 12.20 I caught the bus. Amazingly they let me on the flight but it was a very stressfull end to my holiday. I have emailed them and explained that the key was at the airport and could they please refund me my transfer money. I have not heard back. I would have thought the least they could do is apologise for the mistake and refund the money ($20 so not a lot but that is beside the point). As a single woman there is no way I would go back there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Extremely beautiful location. You have the road that goes around the island directly behind the Villa. But in front you have a HUGGGGGEEEE deck, grass area, and then beach. Lovely place to swim as there is hardly any coral and you can swim even when it's low tide. There is a great piece of live coral if you walk out a little way and tonnes of fish in it! Great for feeding them. I went kayaking every day, absolutely loved it and the water was so clear you could see all the fish. I'd take the bread with me in the kayak. Despite it being mainly sand onshore I'd still recommend wearing reef shoes.

The deck is fantastic which tonnes of different furniture on it. And it is covered so you don't get the sun beating down on you. Quite a few people walk past on the beach and they can see directly into the deck and the main bedroom. Some of those lacey type curtains would help with this, like the ones they have in the living room so people can't see directly in. Or tinting the glass.

The whole place is pretty bach-like. It's really spacious, almost too spacious! and the design and decorations reminded me of 1970s houses in New Zealand with the fake wood panelling on the walls. The decorations didn't really do it for me.

Only the bathroom and kitchen windows and the windows in the second bedroom had insect screens. All the other windows didn't. I think it would benefit from getting the living room windows screened. In saying that we didn't have too many mosquitos because we had the fans on which blowed them away. Speaking of fans, the fans are EXCELLENT! You can place them wherever you want and they can really blast the air out.

The kitchen is all very workable. The bathroom was simple but fine. Very clean.

There were lots of little bugs which would cover you when you are outside, particularly at dusk. They are all up and down that beach and if you walk at dusk you will literally be covered in them. They don't bite though which is a bonus!

We saw some beautiful sunsets from the place.

Close to wigmores supermarket which is an awesome place to get food.

We had a resident mouse in the accommodation which ate through some of my cereal packet. This is despite being absolutely anal with cleaning up after we ate. Would be good to get some mouse traps.

I would definitely stay here again just as it was such a great location for walking straight from your accommodation out to the beach. If you are happy with having accomodation which isn't the flashest, but is functional, and you love the beach and sitting outdoors then this place is for you.

I would have liked a specific time that we knew the cleaning lady would come. On a romantic holiday you don't want to be caught un-aware!

Will hopefully come back one day.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Matawai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

During my recent trip to Raro I stayed at two of the Main Islander properties. This review relates to Tia's Main Islander which is right on the beach. Open your doors and feel the sea breeze gently cooling you down as you paddle in the lagoon at the bottom of the stairs off your deck. I was impressed upon walking in at how well laid out the house was with glass doors opening out onto the deck with endless seaviews. It was nicely decorated and comfortable. There was a kayak and some snorkling gear for my use, a couple of sunloungers, barbeque and out door table and chairs where I had breakfast. The bed was comfortable and had a fan. The bathroom was tiny combining the toilet and the shower which oddly opened out to the toilet which really wasn't a problem because I am not huge. My host, Geoff picked me up from the airport and bent over backwards to help me. Came out to unlock the safe after I stupidly let it shut without the combination and was a wealth of information. You have got to taste the smoothies he makes at the market. This property had one single bed and king (I think it was). There was no sound of roosters only the rubble of waves. The neighbors were really close but I seldom heard them. I got this at an excellent rate and admit I was very reluctant to leave.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

What more can I say!? We stayed at Tia's Islander on the Beach, my husband and I and our 2 children. The service was exceptional, the lady who came to tidy up was like a ghost :D You only knew she had been because everything was tidy and clean. Our hosts were friendly and helpful (they do great smoothies at the markets, and the food at their stall is YUM)
We arrived to a fresh fruit basket, and milk, water and juice in the fridge.
No problem with mozzies, nothing more than at home anyway, so just be realistic about it.
The location was fantastic, none of us wanted to leave, it really was so magical.
We used the kayaks everyday, the kids loved sitting on the front of them and searching for fish, there was a great selection of snorkel gear and men and women's reef shoes.
The deck area was perfect, nice to get out of the sun/rain and still be out side, the BBQ was great, very clean and tidy (could do with some BBQ tongs though)
The beds were clean and comfortable, the washing line area was a great idea!

The beast holiday of our lives, cant wait to come back and stay, thankyou Tia and Geoff for everything xoxox

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

Walking into the house you are immediately impressed by the view through the bedroom. Floor to ceiling glass revels that from bed to beach to spectacular, idyllic swimming in lagoon is mere steps and that the beach has an almost private feel. The house is large, sprawling, like the beach pad you always wanted with a casual air but plenty of comfort. The property is located in the quietest part of Rarotonga, away from most of the 'tourist' activity which for us was an additional benefit. Wigmore's supermarket is just up the road and is the best food shopping on the island (especially for authentic fare which is prepared daily and displayed on tables by the checkouts). The house is also close to the fantastic Vaima restaurant with its dining on the beach and a neat bar that does takeaway pizzas.

While the house has a spectacular ambience and all conveniences we do suggest one thing - some form of cooling. Ceiling fans or an air-con unit would go a long way to bring down the all encompassing wall of heat that the house becomes on summer days. I assume it is better in other months as no one else has commented about this but for us, at times, the heat in the house was oppressive and noticeably hotter than outdoors at times. A small glitch really, we spent most of our time out on the covered deck relaxing and rolling into the pristine waters, snorkeling and cooling off. The house also comes with two kayaks and snorkeling gear.

We reckon this is the best spot on the island and surely must be one of the best accommodations available if you're keen to self cater (which is very easy). Likewise, Geoff, the owner, is lovely and helpful (and makes great smoothies/frappes at the Saturday markets in Avarau!), the house is serviced/cleaned every other day, and the mosquitos? Well, thats just part of any tropical locale - get the mozzie spray on, close some of the doors and get the mozzie plug in repellent working and we had little issue.

Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Freemans Bay, Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed at Tia's Islander on the Beach which is a 2 bedroom cottage directly on the beach at Vaimaanga - you walk down the steps from the deck straight onto the sand. The beach here is much less rocky than other beaches in Rarotonga so you don't shred your feet when you go for a swim or snorkle (heaps of fish and sealife, even in the shallows) although we still wore reef shoes to be on the safe side. The property owners were great, insisting on collecting us from the airport then dropping us off and leaving us to it which is why we chose this sort of property over a resort.The cottage was serviced most days which we didn't expect so was a lovely bonus. The local mini-mart is a 5 minute walk and stocks everything you need at reasonable prices. We will definitely be returning to Rarotonga both for romantic breaks and family holidays - it's an awesome, friendly island and really puts Samoa and Fiji in the shade.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Main Islander On The Beach Holiday Properties? Share your experiences!