“Great place to spend a night or two...” 3 of 5 stars

Auberge Lakeview
50 rue Victoria, Knowlton, Quebec J0E 1V0, Canada   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Knowlton B&B and Inns
montreal
“Great place to spend a night or two...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

My wife and 3 year old daughter stayed at the Lakeview for one night on September 2 2007. It has been an annual tradition to attend the brome fair, and for the first time this year we decided we would spend the night nearby. After extensive research we booked our stay at the Lakeview.

*The location is good, walking distance to the village of Knowlton and the lake.

*The room was very clean, however very small and not much of a
view.

*The breakfast buffet was excellent.

*We had dinner at Le Relais, it is a restaurant in the village, excellent food at reasonable prices.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Historical Lakeview Inn. As soon as you enter you feel as though you have gone back in time.
Great place to spend a night or two !!

Christos
Montreal

Stayed September 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
québec
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

I have stayed at many inns in the Eastern Townships, some more expensive and others less, but none as disappointing as the Lakeview. It has such high reviews when you read about it so I was expecting so much more. We went there in March for my husband's birthday and paid the high price for a gourmet package. When I made the reservation I had specified it was a special occasion. The supper was excellent, and as expected. The room was so small and anything but romantic. We were almost the only ones there on that night, maybe they could have given us a nicer room? There was cold air being pumped through a vent on the floor. We put a pillow over it so that we could get dressed without freezing. The bed was uncomfortable. There was no hot water to be found, and when I mentioned that at checkout, the clerk just said that she wondered why no one had warned me. The breakfast the next morning was obviously reheated buffet from the day before. It tasted awful. It has been more than 6 months since we wasted our money on this romantic birthday surprise. I even wrote several letters complaining about the service and was promised an answer from the owner that never arrived. Sometimes I wonder if the reason that we had such poor service and accomodations was because we were off season, but if that was the case, wouldn't the right thing to do be to close during off-season? I imagine that in summer amenities are better. Right now, I just feel cheated and angry. Hopefully no one will have to experience what I had to. Maybe if I had gotten some kind of explanation or apology I might have gotten over feeling this way and would not have felt it was necessary to write this review.

• Liked — the supper was excellent
  • Disliked — the room, the atmosphere, the amenities, the breakfast, the lack of follow-up service
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
rcmp123, Manager at Auberge Lakeview, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Many changes were made since 2006 , including breakfast menu and even management
We assure you a much better stay and an excellent value for your money.
Thank you for your comments .
Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

Date: August 21, 2006
Reviewer: A frequent user of TripAdvisor and a frequent traveler
The Review:
My partner and I stayed at the Lakeview Inn because it was the highest rated accommodation close to a Birthday party we were invited to in the Eastern Townships of southern Quebec.
We had very little time to check in and catch a quick nap before we had to leave for the Party. We paid Cdn $ 223 for the room (with breakfast) and had reasonably high expectations. The room was the smallest accommodation I have ever stayed in and the bathroom sink was competing for space in the sleep area. The real problem however was the bed. It was clearly beyond its useful life because the springs on one side had given up the ghost and you had to cling to one side to avoid backache/rollout. I'm serious when I say that I've slept on better pull out sofas with bars in my back. Luckily, we were able to advise the Manager on Duty at 5 PM who said she'd have the Owner inspect and fix it for us before we returned at 11 PM.
When we arrived back at 11 PM, the place was very quiet (as one would expect in rural Quebec) and we proceeded to our room. A block of wood had been placed under one leg of the bed to prevent falling out. With 3 sleeping pills and decongestants in my system, I slept no more than 15 minutes in that bed that night. In the morning I asked for an explanation and was told that no one had complained before and that the Owner was content that the extra block of wood was sufficient. No apology was offered (even though I asked for one); no assistance was offered to help with our luggage even though I told them my back was very sore from the experience.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There was a total failure in service and not a scintilla of assistance.

rcmp123, Manager at Auberge Lakeview, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
After this review from august 2006, action was taken. We have changed the beds that needed to be changed. There is very little we can do about the size of our victorian rooms. We would have to change to whole structure of the Inn.
We do have larger rooms in the Inn upon request.
Also we have made a change in staff which will reflect on the service given to customers.

Thank you for your comments.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

I felt like I had walked into my great grandmother’s handsome Victorian summer place when I entered the Lakeview Inn in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. The entrance hall is lit by a chandelier that was once fired by gas. The lounge off the main hall is filled with Victorian furniture. The winding pine staircase takes you up to the second floor bedrooms. To keep the heritage status of the inn, the rooms are comfortable but quite small. A few rooms have been upgraded to the suite status.

Originally built in 1874 and left derelict after operating for a hundred years, it was bought and restored about ten years ago. The owner then refurbished it with furniture salvaged from old barns and antique stores. Rocking on the white wicker rocking chairs watching guests come in and out of the hotel gave us plenty to do on a hot summer day.

We enjoyed a scrumptious meal of Brome Lake duck presented under a silver tureen by an army of waiters complete with white gloves and who switched from French to English with ease. The candlelit dining room, another replica of a Victorian room was complete with white lace tablecloths.

We shopped till we dropped in and around Knowlton. Stores were filled with handcrafts and up-to-date fashion. Our other halves played golf on a course nearby.

Our getaway weekend in an old fashioned hotel with great service was an outstanding success.

Been to Auberge Lakeview? Share your experiences!