“Things are starting to improve, but lack of big pool is a miss” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sakala Resort & Villa Bali

You added The Sakala Resort & Villa Bali to your Saves list
The Sakala Resort & Villa Bali
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Pratama 95, Tanjung Benoa, Bali 80363, Indonesia (Formerly The Chedi Sakala – A GHM Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Hong Kong, China
“Things are starting to improve, but lack of big pool is a miss”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

We arrived before the Christmas time and although it was still raining the atmosphere wasn't too bad. We landed early around 9am and gratefully they allowed us to check in early.

The standard king bedroom is hug, modernity finished with a living room, a dining area, a mini kitchen but strangely no bath tub for such big restroom. It's equipped with 2 big LG TV but they were too close that turning on one would turn the other on as well. The dark ceramic floor created a problem that even with little dust it looked so apparent, which we saw some.

Room is equipped with WiFi but soon you'll realize this is prob the most annoying thing of all: first it's the one that asks you to fill password after connected, meaning every time u lose connection, you re-type. For the day I stayed in hotel full day, maybe I entered what, 20 times? I believe my room was in between two routers so when the signal was switched, password again. I dunno why they can't simply use the normal password-protected hotspots instead.

Access from lobby to room is challenging. You are supposed to take buggy to ride for 20 secs to drop off. Take knee floor up by elevator. Across the bridge. Then access your room by floors (which may require elevator again). I asked earlie. if there was an easier way to go to lobby, they said there was one but only for employees only. Finally they opened it for public on my last day prob due to too many complaints.

Access to the beach requires road crossing, which seems to be the norm for other nearby resort like Ramada or Novotel. But after seeing the beach I opted to stay at the 2nd pool instead since there's barely any swimming area available. The beach sand quality is ok. Unless you rest in hotel chairs people will start asking for jet skis or hats etc. Btw the chairs aren't adjustable in reclining angle making it fairly uncomfortable.

As previously mentioned the big pool wasn't functioning for the 4 days which was really disappointing. We mostly stayed at the pool near the beach / restaurant which is better than nothing.

Dining. Breakfast is great. Loads of selections. Tons of staff helping you to get food even. It's my first time caffe latte in hotel breakfast looks decent. For rest, we finally dined once at the Sakala Bali for lunch. The quality was indeed great except the Waygu should be missed. Everything looks expensive indeed but hey there are prob only few places to have such high quality of western food so you pay what you get. What I don't get is why are we charged the same as the restaurant for poolside drinks and snacks.

As I heard from staff the official opening is February that's why things are still improved. I paid a discounted price to come so this is expected. But the hotel should give its guests discounts to try out its F&B and spa (starting 400k for normal massage), find more ways to improve. When guests see the problem of the pool, feel in doubt, they don't want to pay extra to "try" the hotel service.

Lastly their staff is what I still give them 4 stars as everyone really works hard to keep its guest happy. Give them a few more months and they should do better.

• Stayed December 2013
Evan P, General Manager at The Sakala Resort & Villa Bali, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear mikkol,

Our gratitude for your valuable time in sharing with us your experience and all the constructive comments and observations for our best perusal and handling.

All our suites and villas are equipped with en-suite bathroom as well as bath-tub. Even our two-bedroom Sakala Suites’ 2nd bedroom is equipped with the bathtub. Our WiFi connections have been re-adjusted and it will allow guests easier accessibility throughout their stay.

We thank you for your generous compliments towards The Sakala and The Restaurant’s food and beverage as well as the team. Your understanding and heart-felt review is highly appreciated.

Please advise us on your next visit to Bali and allow us to welcome you back to our resort and present you with a memorable stay.

Evan Pavlakis – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Jakarta, Indonesia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Agreed with the other reviewers that this hotel is not ready for business yet. Check in today and expect to take a dip in the main pool after settling in. But to my surprise, the pool is in horrific shape as it is full of algae. I were not inform before hand. Being a Chedi brand resort, I expect a level of service and sophistication on par with other 5-star resorts. This hotel is a disappointment. Chedi has to sort this out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Anna R, Public Relations Manager at The Sakala Resort & Villa Bali, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your stay and your disappointment with our Lagoon Pool.

Unfortunately, owing to very heavy rains over the past week, our pool needed to be closed – effective immediately – for treatment. This was unavoidable and necessary. As an alternative, we advised all our guests that our Sakala beachfront infinity pool was available as an alternative pool until the Lagoon Pool could be reinstated.

I regret that I was unable to meet you personally during your stay to address your concerns and proposed solutions, as I have happily addressed with other guests whose issues had come to my notice during their stay. In particular the swimming pool matter.

I do hope we can have a chance to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards,
Evan Pavlakis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We arrived at night and stayed at the cabana suite thinking that the direct access to the lagoon pool would be great for the kids. We woke up to a horrible scene outside of dirty murky green moldy water in the pool. I wouldn't let me dog swim in it let alone my kids. There are parts near the restaurant where the water is relatively clean but for most part, disgustingly dirty. I know the hotel just opened but we would appreciate if we were informed of the dirty pool upon booking. Utterly disappointed and definitely not GHM standard.

Stayed December 2013
 Dear Jhalim69,

Please accept our apology for all the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. We wished to have been able to meet you and rectify the matters for you.

Our resort has undergone series of maintenance and repairs therefore, I am sure you will find a noticeable improvement during your next stay.

Kindly advise us should we are able to be at your further service.

Evan Pavlakis – General Manager
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I write this review as an in house guest at this newly opened hotel. Disappointed and a little cheated would sum up our feelings about the hotel. We arrived to be told the Club facilities, that we were going to happily pay an additional 160 aus a night for was not open yet. Dissatisfied as it was one of the reasons we decided to stay here. So we then ask about upgrading to a pool access room and were told we could do so for 80us per night but the room wasn't ready and they'd have to make it up (there was about 25 guests at the property). So to kill some time we have lunch at Sakala which was lovely. We are escorted to the room and walk past the pool which has a murky scum look to it and wasn't very enticing. The walkways are very dark and a bit creepy but the room was nice enough. Overnight the toilet breaks, we then go to breakfast and are advised there is only one breakfast included (not what our voucher said) so went to see the Manager at which point we decide the pool access isn't worth it given the pool looks awful and the plumbing issues we experienced and return to the room we originally booked. Why pay extra when the facilities aren't up to scratch. The next day we needed to use the business centre, you guessed it, not ready yet. There is no happy hour, spa promotion or anything to entice guests to use the facilities. The spa is open, not sure its the actual spa as it doesn't seem finished. A therapist escorts you from your room and takes you to level one to what is a regular guest room set up for massage? The prices are excessive!!! You fill out a form about what you would/ wouldn't like during the massage which was a waste of time as nothing we requested happened. The property is not finished but you are expected to pay top dollar for it. I have no problem with that if its up to scratch but this isn't. Turn down service at 9.30pm....a little late with the small amount of people in-house. Location of the hotel is a bit isolated so not many options for dinning etc. Just missing the little things, no hand soap in toilet at Reception which is unhygienic, gym has no towels or water and needs a clean and there are plenty of staff that could be looking and helping get these little things sorted. That said the staff are lovely and trying their best given a obvious lack of Management and mentor
during this opening period. If we could move hotel we would in a heartbeat...Merry Christmas.

Room Tip: Make sure hotel is finished before coming here!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

Further to our meeting today, I would like to express my grateful thanks to you for your constructive comments on our present shortcomings.

I would like to also mention that I have held meetings with all my management team to address your concerns and wish to re-assure you that these concerns have already been addressed to avoid re-occurance in future.

I would like to personally thank you for your kind understanding and also for the positive comments you made on our staff. I am pleased that we have at least impressed you on that front.

Lastly, I would hope that you will give us another chance to serve you in the way that you deserve to be served.

Thanks once again and wishing you a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year.

Kindest regards,
Evan Pavlakis
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Perfect place to stay the best food in Bali. All the team can't do enough to make your stay perfect. Cant wait to stay again. Beautiful rooms amazing the pool cabana rooms are perfect just jump on from your room straight to the pool bar the best.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Anna R, Public Relations Manager at The Sakala Resort & Villa Bali, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear wow40,

We thank you for your pleasant compliment towards our property and its service.
Our joy to learn that you have a good experience at our Chedi Cabana Suite.
Look forward to welcoming you back to Chedi Sakala on your next visit to Bali.

Anna Roemokoy

Been to The Sakala Resort & Villa Bali? Share your experiences!