“Lovely stay at the Garden Wing” 5 of 5 stars

Novotel Bali Benoa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Pratama 70, Tanjung Benoa, Bali 80361, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 18 hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Amsterdam
“Lovely stay at the Garden Wing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel to stay if you do not want to be in the busy Kuta area and still enjoy the short distance to it. The hotel has two wings with a road in between. We stayed in the more quiet Gardenwing with is own swimming pool and shade of palm trees. The Beachwing has also a pool and of course the beach.
Friendly staff everywhere and nice comfortable rooms with a nice bathroom with seperate shower.

• Stayed October 2012
NBB1922, General Manager at Novotel Bali Benoa, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Eric85283,
thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. It feels good that you could enjoy a lovely holiday at our resort and in Tanjung Benoa.
Looking forward to welcoming you again.

1,752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We recently traveled to Bali/Lombok/Gili Islands for a two week honeymoon holiday, and we decided to cap off the adventure with a stay in a romantic, secluded Beach Cabana in Benoa. This hotel and the Benoa/Nusa Dua area was completely the wrong choice for us and from the moment we walked into the Novotel Bali Benoa, to the moment we left, our stay was little short of a nightmare.

We arrived at 1pm, tired after a long taxi ride from Seminyak, and were barely greeted upon entering the hotel. I am an Accor Advantage Plus member, and even though there is a desk reserved for AAP members, it took 20 minutes before we even got to talk to a customer service representative. Upon check-in, we were basically presented with a list of exclusions for the hotel, which is a really super way to greet your guests, especially if they are on their honeymoon (as we were, and as I specified in my email to the hotel even before we landed in Bali). We were also made to wait almost an hour before a room was ready for us, despite the fact that we arrived around 1:30pm, which in 90F heat with humidity, is not exactly pleasant.

I came to Benoa to relax, and our treatment by the front desk staff was not conducive to relaxation. Despite informing the hotel a month in advance that this was a honeymoon trip, we were placed in a Beach Cabana that was adjacent to the pool and the major walkway between the Lobby and the pool/beach area. This meant that people walking next to our Cabana could theoretically see into the room if we had the shutters open and into the sunken bathtub area. So much for privacy!

I mentioned this to the staff shortly after we checked in, and she imperiously informed me that the hotel was fully booked for that night but that they could switch us to a different cabana tomorrow. I said OK. She also tried to UPSELL me to the Beach Villa for an additional $150 USD, which I declined as I was already not very impressed with the hotel from the start. When we went to switch rooms the second day, we were put in a Cabana two doors down from our original one, and the entire place REEKED of smoke. It was completely unsanitary and disgusting. I thought I was going to choke.

The Front Desk woman had told me that we were going to be moved to the last Cabana of the row, which was the most private, but she neglected to tell me that the family in that Cabana had arranged for late check-out that day, and as they were planning rooms, they were going to keep the room until 6pm. We had plans on the other side of the island that necessitated us leaving the hotel around 3pm, but we were not able to leave until 4:30 because of the uncertainty of where we were going to move and if we could shower in the temporary (and very smoky) Cabana. In the end, we showered, packed our bags, and left the front desk with instructions to please move our bags to the new Cabana when the other party vacated. Our bags were moved when we arrived back at the hotel after 10pm, which was the one thing that went smoothly during our entire 3 days there.

Getting back to the conditions of the hotel, the Novotel Bali Benoa is really showing its age. I don't know about the regular/garden rooms, but the Beach Cabanas are quite dated. Everything is very tattty - paint in the bathroom is chipped, wood looks old, certain cabanas reek of smoke (what kind of hotel allows guests to smoke in their rooms? Isn't this 2012?), and the bathroom fixtures look worn. We were told that the beach in Benoa is one of the best on the island, but I beg to differ, as the stretch of beach in front of the Novotel was nothing to write home about, and certainly not relaxing, with Jet Skis and banana boats cruising all day long. Plus, there is little about the place that is Balinese. I could have been in Cancun or anywhere in Australia lying on the beach loungers with all the oiled up fat foreigners. We were certainly not in Ubud anymore.

Yet another source of irritation for us during our trip was the extensive list of exclusions we were presented with upon arrival. For example, because I used my Accor complimentary voucher for one night of the hotel, we were not entitled to the buffet breakfast for one of our mornings. I thought this was rather bogus, but the hotel rep suggested that we order breakfast using the Accor discount. On the subsequent morning, we ordered Continental breakfasts in the room. We specifically asked to sign for the breakfast bill and were told "No, it's your honeymoon so we're not charging you." I thought this was nice, if a little weird, and let it go.

The next morning, upon arriving to the hotel's buffet breakfast, we were told by the restaurant staff who told us that we would have to pay for breakfast. At 8:30am, this is not how you want to be greeted during your last day on the island. I politely told the restaurant staff that they were mistaken, that we were told to pay for the first day's breakfast (which we tried to do) and that the lady at the front desk specifically told me that the second day's breakfast would be complimentary. I ended up having to go to the front desk TWICE to clarify this situation, without being able to sit down and touch my breakfast, which obviously only added insult to injury. In the end, I was told that we would have to pay for breakfast the second day because the first day I could not use my Accor discount on room service food (so ridiculous).

The buffet food itself was OK, the selection was extensive but the quality of food was not as good as breakfast at many of the smaller boutique hotels/villas that we stayed at. With all of the guests milling around, it definitely felt as if we were on a cruise ship at times. They even stage a mock "night market" on Saturday night...for guests that have no desire to find out what Bali is really like. Seriously?

The cherry on top of this three-day fiasco was this - despite asking the front desk repeatedly to itemize our bill and show us exactly what we were being charged, we came to the front desk to check out before we had to leave for the airport, and were asked to pay for the day use of the room. This was BOGUS, as we had specifically been told by a woman at the front desk earlier that same day that they would comp the day use of the room after we had to move Cabanas TWICE. She told me that she specifically requested it from the Hotel's GM, so why would this show up on our bill? I promptly asked the front desk to remove it, and they did. I was not about to pay Accor $25 for a few hours use of their tatty Cabana after all the hassle their staff put us through.

I want to say that in general, the staff (bellboys, concierge, kitchen staff, pool staff, etc.) were extremely kind and gracious. What really made me angry and could have ruined a completely fantastic and relaxing vacation was the total rudeness and disorganization of the
staff at the Front Desk/Accor Advantage Member desk. Do you regularly treat guests like this? Is it because we were a relatively young couple compared to the other families with children and you think we can be pushed around? I'm not sure what accounted for the behavior of the Front Office staff, that after two weeks in Bali/Lombok/Gili Islands, it was made for an extremely unpleasant stay.

We spent two entire weeks in bali, and stayed in seven different hotels/B&Bs/Villas. The Novotel Bali Benoa was by FAR the worst value for quality, and certainly in terms of service.

Our experience at this hotel left an extremely poor taste in my mouth, and I know that I will now avoid massive resort hotels like the plague. Despite being an Accor club member, I'm dubious that I will ever return to an Accor hotel again after this experience. Extremely disappointed, I would not recommend, unless you want to come to Bali and feel as if you're at any other beach resort in the world. As for me, I'll stick to the more interesting, non-cruise ship-like parts of the island and stay in smaller hotels where the staff do not make the end of one's honeymoon a nightmare.

Room Tip: If you do not like smokey rooms, be sure to mention this to the Front Desk upon check-in or else the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ann K,
thank you for your report and I am sorry you did not enjoy your three days stay with us or in this area of Bali.

Please take my apologies for the confusion about your booking which was caused because you booked online your Free Night Voucher and our 3days Promotion package which actually cannot be combined (and which is mentioned on the website as well). You tried to combine the benefits of the free night of the 'Advantage Plus Card' with the package inclusions of the special promotion. As this was not agreed on from hotel side this lead into the misunderstandings with our staff which i am sorry for but I guess could not have been avoided.

I am sorry you did not like the location or setting of our traditional Beach Cabanas but we never advertise them as being secluced or completely private. This would go for our private pool villas.

The Accor Advantage Plus Card offers various generous offers for the card holder and also has some conditions connected to it. Discounts on food and beverage are only credited for 'dining in' (not for room service) and the 50% on breakfast cannot be taken when using the free night voucher. All these conditions are explained for the card holder in the card's terms and conditions and mentioned specifically on the various vouchers.

Due to evening or night flights we have many requests for late check out. Thank you for your understanding that we offer free late check out until 14.00, day use until 18.00 for only IDR 250.000 (USD 26) and until 21.00 IDR 500.000 (USD 52), depending on occupancy.

Again I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us which results in the hard and from my point of view unfair rating in many aspects of your comment. Also I may state personally that neither this hotel, my team nor other guests you refer to deserve this kind of rude language.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed for a week and had our wedding on the 19th September 2012. - our 3rd time staying at the hotel in as many years.
We had 40 family and friends join us and no one had a bad word to say about the hotel or their experience whilst there. - the hotel suits all budgets- we had guests staying in every room category.
In fact everyone commented on how lovely the hotel was, and how genuine and lovely the staff were. (including a few well seasoned Bali go-ers.)

Special mention has to go out to the hotels amazing wedding planner (Yuli) who went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure the wedding was perfectly arranged as requested, and ran seamlessly. - everything was either as we expected or better.
We would highly recommend anyone thinking of having a wedding in Bali to seriously consider this hotel. - the 2 bedroom villa is both private and the perfect place for a small(ish) wedding.

Thanks again to everyone there, and we will see you again next year for our anniversary.

Room Tip: We like the tropical terraces.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Karrathacouple,
it was our pleasure to make your wedding a memorable experience and thank you for choosing our resort for your special event. I will share your review specially with Yuli, it is always a motivation for our team when our services are accepted.
Thank you for recommending our property and we are looking forward to welcoming you again.
Bali
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

we was return guess, Novotel benoa was always beautiful like usually, a bit bother me was the staff in the spa, they really act different with the local guest and really friendly with the tourist, at the time i spent in jacuzzi after do some exercise in the fitness center,

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have stayed at Novotel Benoa many times and every time it never fails to satisfy. I never thought I would be the sort of person that returns again and again to the same hotel for a holiday but the hotel keeps drawing me back time and time again. This time a short stay of only 5 nights as we stayed for 10 nights in legian 1st

This time I stayed in a deluxe room, I have stayed in every level of room including the top 2 bedroom beach villa to the deluxe and believe no matter what room, the quality is great, the service is great, the staff are great, the grounds are so relaxing, the food is fantastic

if you want to be in the heart of things and the hustle and bustle of kuta (which is only 20 mins by taxi) then benoa is not the place for you as it is a more quieter area but if you wish to have a relaxing holiday don't hesitate to stay here

also I was impressed by the recent changes especially the new kids zone in the restaurant (and I don't even have kids) giving parents the freedom to be able to sit and enjoy a meal while the kids are close by watching a movie or playing with toys, or at breakfast they even have a kids section where they can help themselves and make their own breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shazzaroni,
thank you for your kind comment and my team and I are happy to see you enjoy coming back to our hotel. We always try to add 'new' things like the kids corner at the restaurant or since last week free internet in guest rooms to surprise also our repeater guests with new offers.
Looking forward to welcoming you for another stay in your favorite resort :).
h1922-gm@accor.com

Been to Novotel Bali Benoa? Share your experiences!