“Lower Cost - Good food” 4 of 5 stars

+62 361 77 45 02
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
“Lower Cost - Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

A wide variety of very good choices for vegetarian, meat and seafood dishes served by a friendly staff in an inviting "street side cafe"

Visited July 2013

88% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth
“What a fantastic night!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

One of the best meals I have ever had in Bali! We ordered one of the tasting plates to share between 2 and had more then enough food. Very tasty, traditional Balinese food for a more then reasonable price! Staff were so welcoming and happy which made for a great night!

San Francisco, CA
“This is not about Balinese Food - This is about the Art and Science of Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Last night we had dinner at Bumbu Bali. My wife and I and two young daughters (9 and 13). We really wanted to end our 11 night stay in Bali with some solid Balinese food. However I was so caught up in these reviews wondering weather this is really authentic Bali or not and decided that #1 it probably is Authentic Bali and #2 it doesn't matter because what I really want is GOOD FOOD. I don't really care what we call it.

And Bumbu Bali delivers and then some. I am a big cook myself and a huge fan of people like Thomas Keller and The French Laundry in California.

Bumbu Bali was probably the BEST food we had in our whole trip and we ate at The Samaya, Bridges, Fair Warung, Meads, etc.

We were fortunate to see Heinz Von Holzen (owner and chef) by happenstance cooking in the kitchen as we were leaving and I stopped to say thank you and talk to him. We had a nice long conversation and this man after all these years of success is still an incredible "student of the craft." He shared with me that they used to have about 3 pressure cookers in the place and now they have about 20 and "why would you let any of the flavors disappear from your cooking?" He is a student of Harold McGee's chemistry of cooking:

His favorite new book is Modernist Cuisine which is put together by a project led by ex Microsoft CTO Nathan Myhrvold.

Authentic Balinese food in my opinion is a BY PRODUCT of the Science of Cooking that Von Holzen is maniacal about. It is clear that he is a SCIENTIST that is using food as his medium. I LOVE THIS and it makes the food so much better.

He is reading a LOT about Sous Vide cooking right now (which is low temp - up to 140 degrees - food in plastic bags cooking ever so slowly in a bath of 140 degree water).

We ordered the

He keeps all his basic recipes up to date on his website as well:

We had the Rijsttafel which was $49 for two people so they allowed us to order one and a half orders of it because we had two little girls (9 and 13). The Rijstaffel is a combination of ALL the best tastes in the restaurant including pork, chicken, lamb, fish, veggies, soup, satays, etc. It is more than enough food and EVERY SINGLE DISH was FANTASTIC!

It also includes a huge collection of Balinese desserts.

It seemed 80% of the tables in the restaurant ordered the Rijsttafel as well in case you are wondering.

Our whole bill for 4 people with great cocktails and mocktails for the kids and 20% tax and service was $120 all in. I bought a $9 T-shirt as well.

All the meat was melt in your mouth because it was all brined and braised or cooked sous vide.

Nobody in Bali can be as meticulous about their food as Von Holzen is and the value for the price is unbeatable.

If you are a foodie this is a MUST DO in Bali.

I have included photos of the restaurant and Heinz.

If this review is helpful please indicate so it rises to the top and others get to see it - thanks!

Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
“Food was Amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I would highly recommend Bumbu Bali for any one who would like to taste authentic Balinese dishes. The set menu was fantastic.

Perth, Australia
“Felt Like Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The staff were very friendly and helpful, from the moment we arrived they made us feel so welcome.
I had booked for my wife and myself but met up with friends and arrived as a group of 6. they were happy to seat all of us. the layout of the restaraunt was very nice. Suckling pig was on the menu the night we went so that was my order. between the 6 of us we ordered a good cross section from the menu and shared. Everything was delicious. Cost for meals, drinks for 6 people was very reasonable. This place does classes in traditional cooking. I bought the cookbook. Definitly worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013