“Very poor” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Country Cottage Hotel

You added The Country Cottage Hotel to your Saves list
The Country Cottage Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Suttons Courtyard, Easthope Street, Ruddington, Nottingham NG11 6LA, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Ruddington B&B and Inns
UK
“Very poor”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2007

Having failed to book a hotel in Nottingham city centre, we were staying for one night at the Country Cottage hotel.

The reception was friendly enough and checking in was no problem. The hotel looked and felt more like a B&B (bed and breakfast) and the bar area and dining was a bit like a pub.

The rooms were very clean but the carpets were stained. We had only one (tired looking) towel for both of us - as did our friends who complained and got an extra. Decor was tired 90's with plastic bathroon fittings - the towel rail was so flimsey one feared breaking in by using it to hang up our only towel.

Rooms again - rather like a typical british B&B. There was a very limited supply of petty basic toletaries or £60 for the night.

Breakfast a choice of cereal or full English - chose the latter which was okay but again - like a B&B. We had our breakfast in one of the meeting rooms - complete with pull down projector screen - rickety breakfast tables and conference room chairs a la 1980's.

All this would have been totally fine for our one night stop had we not paid £120 for the experience. We felt ripped off. Very poor. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone reading Trip Advisor.

• Liked — Getting out of it
  • Disliked — The bed and bedding were awful
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

I too stayed stayed at the Country Cottage and was given the room with a 4 poster bed close by to the courtyard and found it to be delightful. The fixtures and fittings were second to none and the staff could not have been more attentive. The menu was v. good and the meal cooked to perfection. I had been warned off by a collegue who had stayed there several years ago and had said that the rooms were awful, menus stunted and staff less than well, lets just leave it at that! This was not my initial choice of hotel but due to lack of availability on the night there was no other option. All I can say is thank you to staff and all and hope to see you all again soon.
Dr Marty.

Stayed November 2007
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

I am not sure where the previous reviewers stayed but it certainly doesn't seem to be the same hotel as we stayed in!

I would agree that we had a warm welcome. We stayed in the suite facing onto the courtyard that a previous reviewer talked about. It was a very strange room; it had patio doors, so you had to close the curtains for it to feel private. It had a four poster bed, but it was one of those cheap fake pine ones that you can buy in Argos. The mattress was incredibly hard, and the feather pillows had seen much better days.

It was cold so people weren't sitting outside, but I imagine that if it was a warm summer evening and we'd needed the windows open, we would have been quite inconvenienced.

What astonished me most was the bathroom; a net curtained window facing onto one of the public areas; stand naked in the bathroom with the light on at night and I am sure you could be seen! It might not bother you but it did me.

There was horrible orange mould on the grouting of the shower tiles, rather dirty towelling mats on the floor and nasty cheap toiletries. We were only given one towel between two of us.

Now let me tell you that this room was meant to be a luxury suite, cost us over £100 for the night, and you can see why we were disappointed. We shuddered to think what the standard rooms were like. It felt like a very basic B&B that had a refurb in the early 90's and probably looked great then, but 17 years on really needs to have some money spent on it (and a new cleaner) to bring it up to a decent standard. I am trying to work out whether I am just spoilt from staying in nice(r) places, or whether it was genuinely dire.

We heard the people on the next table at breakfast talking about how they were attending a wedding there later that day, in the fetchingly decorated peach breakfast cum ceremony room with its lovely wicker furniture, with the CD player that skipped all over the place. We felt sorry for the bride and groom.

The food was good, but not brilliant, and expensive for what it was. You could and should get a much better meal for the same price. You might eat there for a semi-special Saturday dinner but to be honest, who would go and eat/ stay there when there are so many better places in the near vicinity?

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Trying to get to sleep on a hard bed.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kinver, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

I stayed at the Country Cottage on business for the first time. Being a regular traveller I am quite picky when it comes to rooms, but found the room to be spacious, clean and light. the beds had duvets with sheets, which was useful as the rooms are not air conditioned. I didnt seem to have a remote for the TV and was surprised to see carpet in the bathroom, with a shag pile twin set around the toilet with matching bathmat! The electric shower worked fine.

Most of the rooms are in annexes, mine faced onto the car park and was reasonably quiet. I received a warm welcome on check in and was personally shown to my room, which I thought was a nice touch. All rooms are non-smoking. My colleague had a room with a 4 poster bed, which faced onto the courtyard area and said he could hear people sat outside talking til late.

I ate a bar meal, which wasn't great. The chips were very greasy, looked reheated and my sandwich very dry, no mayonnaise or relish offered.

Breakfast was cooked to order and quality was good. Waitress a bit pedantic if you sit on the wrong table (ie I sat on a table for 1 and asked her to set another place for a colleague, but she made me move to a table set for 2!)

All in all it is a bit quirky, but clean and welcoming and I would certainly try again. I am booked to stay there again in July on business, but will probably eat out or try the restaurant instead.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Sussex, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2006

Had to stay over night on business in Nottingham so tried out this little hotel.
I am quite well travelled and must say that there wasn't really too much to complain about in fact, for what I paid I should say it was great value for money.
The full English breakfast was very very good and piping hot which I like.
Shame about the TV. It only received standard channels (no Sky!) and the tuning was poor.
As I say, if you need a good place to stay, you won't go far wrong here.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

I often travel to Northants on business and when in the area always take the opportunity to stay at The Country House Hotel.

I could go into a great deal of detail but all I will say is that it is a small bed and breakfast in the best English tradition. The rooms are reasonable sized with comfortable beds and the usual colour tv and tea coffee facilities. My room has always been spotless. The restaurant seats just the guests in the B&B (5 rooms) and is perfect for a quick, full english before getting on the road. Its not the biggest, its not the best but it is clean, affordable and in a VERY quiet area which suits me just fine!

Been to The Country Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!