“Fanatstic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Manor House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rathlin Island
The Manor House
You added The Manor House to your Saves list
Rathlin Island, Rathlin Island BT54 6RT, Northern Ireland   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
The Moon
“Fanatstic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I decided to take a trip to rathlin island even though I was dreading it because of past experiences with islands.

What can I say. The place is amazing.The Manor House is unique and full of character.
All the staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. Its not that fake 'give you a smile and make small talk because I have to' welcome.Its genuine.
The food is beautiful.When you can see the fishermen catching fresh fish everyday you can be gaurenteed good food.
The atmosphere is so relaxed and laid back.
The one thing bad about rathlin island is watchin it get further away as you make your way back to Ballycastle.
By far the best place ive been in a long time.
Im planning my next visit already.
Thank you to all the staff at the Manor House for making my stay so enjoyable

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Gloucester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

With one notable exception, which was the waiter on our first evening, the service at this hotel was atrocious, unwelcoming and by far the worst we encountered on our 10 day trip in Ireland. The whole place looked tired and uncared for which was a real shame considering its perfect location.

I don't mind bed linen that is not the latest trendy fashion, but in a hotel I do expect it at least to be ironed, clean (i.e. not covered in other people's hairs/fluff) and not looking well past its use by date. This lack of care and cleanliness even extended to some of the staff who wore distinctly grubby looking clothes to serve our food (yes, even though they were black I could tell) , which is unforgiveable.

Again, I don't expect Masterchef style presentation but serving a white fish, in a white sauce, on a white plate with mashed potato with no other garnish to make it slightly more appealing was just plain lazy. (Oh, and it was completely overcooked and tasteless as well despite their claim that everything was fresh).

The icing on the cake was being told at 1645 that if we wanted dinner we would have to order by 1700 - fair enough, but couldn't they have told us earlier in the day? So, someone who got in from exploring the island at 1713 was refused dinner. (No matter, Emma's Chip Ahoy was excellent and far better value).

• Stayed July 2010
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

What a fabulous location and what terrible accommodation.

For £65, this is terrible value for money. The whole place is scruffy, untidy and uncared for. The bedroom was atrocious - cheapest furniture possible, bed not made up properly, bed linen dating back to the 80s in appaling condition - I'm sure it had been washed but felt dirty. I have stayed in all sorts of accommodation including B&Bs at half the price, but this is defininitely the worst ever.

Girl at Reception so unhelpful when we said we were unhappy with the room.

Cooked breakfast was average.

There were some redeeming factors - the pub is "quirky" is a scruffy kind of way, Rathlin Island is lovely, and people very friendly.

So much for the romantic weekend away....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

First time on the island and we were lloked after very well by everyone in the Manor House.

I was a little aprehensive at the thought of the only hotel on the island not having to work too hard at keeping up standards, but these fears were totally unfounded.

Yes there are a few quirks, you have to order breakfast the night before, there are a few creaks and groans from floor boards and the sound isulation isn't 5 star....but for the location and for the staff and the feeling of rest and relaxation, you would have to go far to beat it.

You have to look past the peeling paint and some of the missing tiles to really understand what the place is about, I am not trying to sell it as a 5 star spa break, but I reckon we got as much from our weekend here than we have from much posher and much more expensive options.

Fantastic island retreat, great fun and laughter.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

My partner took me to The Manor House in Rathlin for my birthday. We arrived on the boat at 11.45 and just wanted to drop our bags of, however the receptionist said our room would be ready shortly and if we would like to go to the bar. We sat outside and soaked up the sunshine and she came out some 15 mins later with our keys. We went to the room i noticed straight away that the floor wasn't hoovered, there was cobwebs above one of the windows and the room hadn't been dusted! I decided to take a nap later in the afternoon and when i pulled the top sheet back i noticed to was stained along with the bottom sheet. I would say the sheets had been washed and these stains are permanent. The shaving light in the bathroom didn't work. The dining staff were very welcoming, and food adequate. The island itself it definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We booked a one night dinner bed and breakfast for our wedding anniversary and happened to arrive just as Prince Edward and Sophie were leaving, so Church Bay was busier than I've ever seen it!

The room was lovely, with a beautiful view of the harbour. The Manor House has been done up quite a bit since the last time I was over, but I still thought the £70 for B&B was good value. Ksenia is an extremely warm and welcoming hostess and could not do enough for us. The highlight, though, is definitely the lobster dinner - I have simply never tasted better in terms of both freshness and preparation. I should also mention the salad which is fresh picked from the back garden and tasted fantastic. We also had a crab starter which was excellent, but rather overshadowed by the main course. There was a surprisingly good winelist too, all reasonably priced.

A new addition to the Manor House (since my last visit) is a tiny bar called the Auld Kitchen which is very cosy and friendly and which I'd recommend if you are put off by all the beauty board in McCuaig's (though you really shouldn't be, it's great fun!).

We got up the next morning to a good Irish Breakfast with excellent coffee which fortified us for our cycle trip to see the puffins at the far end of the island. You can hire the bikes from John McCurdy at Soernoeg View (which is also a brilliant place to stay!) and I'd recommend it, it's a great way to see the island and when you're done, McCuaig's guinness never tasted so good!

All in all we had a great time - good to meet up with old friends and while I know there was a bit of negative PR about Prince Andrew's trip, it seemed to be more of a genuine lack of communication all round rather than anything more sinister. The rules on Ratlin are different from elsewhere, out of necessity rather than anything else, and officials sometimes have a hard time understanding that, so I wouldn't judge what happened too harshly.

We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Was at the manor house for a meal with my wife a couple of weeks ago,
the island is lovely but the meal was a let down.
Seems to me that rathlin island needs more choice.

• Stayed June 2010

Been to The Manor House? Share your experiences!