“Lovely place, charming staff” 5 of 5 stars

Keyonna Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Johnson's Point, Turners Beach, Antigua   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turners Beach
Sheffield UK
“Lovely place, charming staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a lovely stay here. the staff were charming and accomadating, the owner and his wife were friendly, the food was excellent and the beach lovely. The only downsides were the mosquitos, although the rooms were supplied with anti-mosquito coils and spray, and the sea, which was rather rough, so snorkelling was disappointing (not the hotel's fault, of course). There was some building work, but it didn't really impinge on us.

Room Tip: We had a room in the main block. Ours was next to the kitchen, so some noise, but it had direct acce...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We chose Keyonna Beach hotel because it was described as "boutique ", secluded and no kids under 12. It promised gourmet food, beautiful beach and for us the perfect getaway. In reality it is a building site, bug riddled with no amenities and THE WORST FOOD we have ever eaten. For an All Inclusive package we have never had so little choice... Oh sorry there wasn't a choice!
Firstly I want to say that the staff were great on the whole - they were working with bad management of the place.
On arrival we are shown a very small room (later to find it is there largest!) and shown a door less cupboard for our clothes - the wooden pole held up by a nail and massive holes where they had removed the safe. When asked to use the hotel safe the housekeeper said it wasn't necessary because in the year shed worked there nothing had been stolen. We carried our money and documents with us daily.
The view from the balcony was stunning but the biting bugs made it impossible to sit out there despite all the sprays, candles and other repellent products. The bug situation was terrible and despite complaints was not fogged until our last night.
The dining room was double tiered decking around wasteland which was cleared during meal times to make gardens for the new sheds - new garden rooms. The floor so bouncy it made you feel sick as staff served meals. The furniture old and tatty. There was no where to sit for pre- dinner drinks or after dinner except 2 benches without cushions. I see now they have a photo on their site with2 benches where we placed them with cushions - this is not a good place to sit due to Mosquitos so don't be fooled - we had nowhere else to chat with friends.
Food was hit and miss. Weekends were worst with no staff and who knows who was cooking. The waitress refused to write down your order, got it wrong every time and you waited for another hour and 15 minutes for a replacement. This woman was the worst. The others were fabulous.
There were two choices on the menu. One fish the other was usually out of stock so instead of steak was offered duck - so nothing again for supper. There is a sample breakfast menu on the website now there was nothing in November. Our first morning was Caribbean breakfast offered by the worst waitress. A plate swimming in spinach, salt cod and tomatoes AND THAT WAS ALL THAT WAS OFFERED AND GIVEN. Ileaving the dining area I called the woman to ask where the supermarket was, she was stuffing her face with food behind the bar! Incredible!
Red wine was served from the fridge, time between courses up to an hour and there was either silence or live music belting out - certainly no boutique ambiance promised.
There weren't enough bug infested Bali beds for everyone. We used broken sun beds on the beach without shade.when asked owner for umbrella he said it was hurricane country so didn't use umbrellas despite the derilect hotel complex next door having umbrellas on their beach and the brochures showing Keyonna beach hotel with lovely sun beds and umbrellas.
The spa was a tent infested with Mosquitos. The others had their massage in the beach but mine was inside the tent as it started raining. The lady came from their sister hotel and was great but I had to jump off the bed half way through and drag it into the tent due to the sand flies... Not relaxing or therapeutic in the slightest.
The pool was unfinished and not cleaned at weekends. Some towels were left on a bed in the rain and sun for 4 days without being taken away. It was infested by ants.
One day we were given dips and poppadum on the beach but the dips and dishes left there for 24 hours. This is not boutique.
As for secluded beach, the party boats start arriving mid morning. They are catamaran trips from the cruise liners up the coast and are just that... Peace is shattered and beach overrun!
I could go on but I hope you realise it is not what it claims to be so be aware.
The taxis are very expensive. A taxi to English Harbour was $80 but JJ was a character and give a running commentary and guided tour of his life, family and local history... Priceless!
Rosemary's herb garden was also a highlight - a talk and walk around the garden for $15 then you can buy her remedies. The extreme bites I had have healed without scarring I'm sure due to her oils and advice... Well worth a visit.

You will notice after this report is posted a glowing letter from an imaginary couple appears on trips advisor and their website. Please do not believe it is genuine. Try out this place if you dare, but don't believe the reports, no one in the hotel on our stay had anything good to say about it.

We are just sad to have to write this type of report and hope that the resort sorts itself out because it has all the ingredients to be what it claims with an injection of money And management.

Room Tip: Garden rooms larger than in the main building rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
KeyonnaBeach, Owner at Keyonna Beach, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We do recognise that there were areas requiring improvement in November after re-opening and we have taken major steps to improve especially in the area of the kitchen and restaurant. We have with us for the rest of the season the restaurant manager from one of the top hotels in Italy to assist us in our efforts, and also have a new chef (re-assigned from Cocos Hotel) to take charge of breakfast and lunch. Feedback has been much improved – the new breakfast menu as shown on our sites has had good mentions. We have taken on some new staff as well so anticipate progress in other areas of service.

The beaches throughout Antigua are public so yachts and catamarans do visit from time to time for a short period, especially since the beach is often cited as one of the best beaches. As we are the only hotel on this long stretch of beach, we are a quiet beach the majority of the time.

The mosquitoes during that period were a challenge throughout the island. The situation is much better with a change in the weather and refreshing trade winds. We have also a regular programme of fogging to seek to minimise this Caribbean issue. The rooms are small in the Beach House, the cottages are larger. We will ensure the actual measurements are on the website so that expectations are realistic. The massage tent is temporary, the permanent area will be on the other side of the property.

There were many changes in December including the new bar area, new front desk and four separate sitting areas in the restaurant for after dining relaxation. We have new images taken in December and we look forward to feedback from future guests as to whether our updated information is a true reflection of our updates. All information on our website and facebook pages are genuine and we encourage and look forward to hearing from all guests whose feedback helps us in ensuring we are always on a path of continuous improvement.
miami beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Keyona Beach is located on a very nice beach. It was relaxing to open the door in the morning and see the ocean right there! True there isn't much to do in that area, but that's why one goes to Antigua, to relax and get away.

The hotel's beach has very comfortable Bali beds. The staff is very friendly. The food was great.

The eating area is outdoors. While you're eating, a couple of birds may visit your table. they are so cute! and if you're lucky, you may see a hummingbird in the little flower garden. It is an eco friendly hotel, so there are no fans to keep mosquitoes at bay, and from the horrible amount of mosquito bites (or whatever insect bit me) I got on my lower legs, I assume they don't do pest control either. You really need to use repellent on your skin if this bothers you. They are so thoughtful at Keyona, to provide the rooms with Off insect repellent and other things to deal with insects. However, the brand off didn't work at all. Neither did the fancy repellent I brought with 34% deet. I suggest you ask the locals which brand they use. I suggest you keep your room's door closed at all times to avoid mosquitoes getting in.

I was having such a great time there. Too bad our stay was so short. I would've been so happy to just go to the beach all day, lay on a bali bed and relax in the afternoon, but my boyfriend wanted to explore the island and we were up and down Antigua and i didn't get to enjoy the hotel much.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms face the ocean, so you'll be happy with whatever room/cottage you get. If yo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and are pleased that your stay with us was enjoyable. We look forward to you visiting us again soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We chose Keyonna Beach for our winter holiday after reading the brilliant reviews on here, and after looking at their website. We have never stayed all inclusive before, as we normally like getting out and about and trying lots of different things, and the thought of a buffet lunch every day fills me with dread. But we were looking for a totally chilled out holiday, and the promise of chef cooked a la carte meals every day was really appealing. We were particularly excited about all the fresh fish, and tempting meals we kept reading reviews of online, and after looking at the sample menu on the resort's website.

I don't want to write a negative review of Keyonna Beach because in many ways we enjoyed the holiday. The beach is nice, the bali beds are great (as long as you can get one, which became a problem towards the end of our stay), and many of the staff try very hard to look after you. However, I want to write a review that would have helped me when choosing whether to stay here or not, so I hope this is helpful.

The rooms are adequate, clean, and despite not having a safe, wifi, or an ipod dock (all promised when we booked), were fine for our purposes. Unfortunately whilst we were there there was a lot of construction work happening (an issue we subsequently had to take up with our tour operator), and this was for the construction of additional cottages on the site, which will increase its capacity - which would worry me in terms of how the staff/bar/restaurant/bali bed situation will hold up. As I mentioned, by the end of our week there were more couples than bali beds and people were getting up in the morning and putting towels over them 'reserving' them, which was incredibly irritating - especially as the insects were SO BAD when we stayed that it wasn't even an option to lie on the sand.

Quick note re insects - they really were AWFUL during our stay (November) - mosquitoes in the restaurant were really terrible, and there are no fans trying to keep the air moving to try and help. On the beach there are sandflies which bit everyone terribly, I had 30 bites on one foot at one point - despite buying the best repellent I could find before we travelled. In the end one of the staff mentioned that they all use something called 'Be Gone', it smells like furniture polish and might be pretty toxic, but it actually works, so I bought that from a shop on the island which helped.

Food - The food we were served during our stay varied from good to poor - there were VERY limited options (I didn't think this would bother me, but by the end of the week it was quite depressing), with the same options over and over again in the seven days we were there. It felt like we were being served the cheapest fish they could buy - long gone are the crab cakes I kept reading about, instead it was conch fritters time and time again, and whilst I know it's personal taste, they are essentially sea snails, and taste like it - not quite the same as a lovely crab fishcake...
Snapper was served once, which was lovely, but most of the time it was mahi mahi for lunch and dinner and it got rather dull. One day when I decided I'd had enough of the mahi mahi I ordered the chicken instead. I kid you not it was chicken dipper type things in a cheese and tomato sauce which was one of the most unpleasant things I've ever been served -it was inedible.

We only had one 'local' dish served while we were there, and I think the loss of their first chef who obviously did a very good job, has left them struggling to keep standards up to be honest. Generally the food was just ok, but there were some dishes that I actually couldn't eat- which is a problem when there are no shops nearby or any other options to eat. As others have mentioned service is incredibly slow, again, this is something I didn't think would bother me - but I'm not talking about a relaxed pace of service, I mean one server struggling to deal with all the tables and issues at every meal time in terms of asking for bread and it turning up 30 minutes later, no sauces with your food etc etc, I know it might sound petty, but it really started to spoil things after a few days when eating became a chore rather than a pleasure.

Whilst we were there there was no music in the restaurant/bar, and no atmosphere, there was none of the live music we were told happened weekly, and mealtimes were rather silent/whispered affairs, which was a shame. I think this is something they are planning on changing - but we hadn't paid for an unfinished resort - so it was really disappointing. There were also no toilets in the restaurant/bar, so you had to go back to your room if you needed the loo or to wash your hands etc, again, another irritation.

The outdoor spa is a plastic tent at the end of the beach which the masseuese told me was too hot to go inside, so it is actually just a rickety old massage bed on the beach - not exactly a huge problem, but also not exactly an 'outdoor spa' - be warned.

On a final note - the resort has nothing nearby, taxis are expensive, and it's probably better to hire a car. We shared a taxi with two other couples up to Shirley Heights on the Sunday, and it cost us each about £60. Brilliant evening out!

I won't moan anymore - I just wanted to warn prospective guests that many of the older reviews are quite misleading now that the chef has changed, and now that they are expanding and, I think, trying to make it more profitable by cutting expenses.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Attracted by the latest mouthwatering lunch menu on the hotel's web site we visited for lunch.
However, the menu presented to us at the table bore no resemblance. Starters were, for example, basically salad, salad or salad.
Then the waitress said we could not eat a la carte but had to have a fixed price meal at US$40 with a glass of wine - choice "red, white or rose" - no wine list.
For my main course I ordered a well done burger and fries. It arrived cold and barely cooked. I sent it back and by the time the new one came my wife had already finished her underwhelming club sandwich and fries.
The second burger was cooked but tasted cheap and the fries had that taste of cheap cooking oil.

Very disappointing, very expensive. Having lived on Antigua for 10 years, I know I could have walked 100 yards and got a better meal for half the price. Next time I will.

KeyonnaBeach, Owner at Keyonna Beach, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We do appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologise for your less than stellar experience. We are pleased to update that since your visit we have undertaken a number of changes to the menu, kitchen and restaurant operations. We anticipate that your experience now would be much improved. We would like to invite you and your wife to visit again at your convenience for a complimentary meal. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We finished our sailing course and were off the boat first thing in the morning but had a flight to catch late evening and wanted somewhere relaxed, with a real shower, to stay during the day. The Keyonna Beach hotel was recommended to us for a day-stay, and I am very glad we took the recommendation.

We arrived just in time for breakfast, which was hearty and served with a fresh juice of the day - also very tasty. The room we were given for the day was very basic, (no wifi), however it was all clean and the shower was well powered and warm - so my needs were met.

The beach was gorgeous. Although we were not first out there by any means, and the hotel looked like it had a fair few guests, there was still a four poster beach bed to lounge on. The beach is lovely soft white sand, and although there is a very tiny shingle patch to cross as you enter the water, the depth drops off relatively quickly, and the water was lovely for a swim.

We went late to lunch as we had had a relatively late breakfast. Lunch was tasty with a good choice, the house white wine was very nice. The only issue with sitting at the restaurant tables was that there was an awful lot of flies. Service from all of the staff was very good, we felt looked after by some very lovely people - which was a fantastic end to our little Caribbean trip.

Georgia USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed last July. The glowing reviews that had been written about the food prepared by a chef and service was the deciding factor for us. The past reviews mentioned that the condition of the front of the property put people off.

Ironically, when we arrived we found the front of the property had been landscaped since the reviews were written to resemble an English garden with low rock walls and beautiful flowers. We had expected it to look dumpy according to past reviews but were quite surprised that such an effort had been made by the owners to improve the property.

We traveled to other areas of the island and found this beach to be one of the best we saw. This area has mostly local inhabitants and no other active resorts so it is the number one hotel on this beach LOL. So there isn’t much traffic on the beach. The water is clear and clean. Since it on the gulf side the waves are minimal. I’d suggest you bring a float.

The only people on the beach were from the hotel most of the time. When the cruise ship came into port people do come down to the other end to spend the day. Also, there are a couple of party boats that come to the beach during mid day and play loud music. This kind of sours the atmosphere while they are there. But thankfully it is only from 10-2. The Bali beds are very nice and relaxing. We were lucky enough to get one each day but there were only 5 beds and seven rooms at the time we were there. When the resort expands this will be more of an issue unless they add more beds. The beach is un-groomed and really needs to be groomed so there isn’t a zone of rocks to walk across to get to the water. At this time of year the bugs were not bad to our surprise! Definitely the best part of resort is turners beach!

Overall I was disappointed with Keyonna Beach. I feel duped! The chef in the past reviews was gone and the food we were served was inconsistent. I noticed that information touting the chef was discretely pulled from the web site in the weeks after we left. While this is on a tropical island where fresh fish should have been abundant were served tilapia over and over again which is a farm raised bottom feeder. One night we were served king fish which was great. Another night I had a beef dish and it was outstanding as well. But the rest of the week, the food wasn’t very appealing at dinner and pretty repetitive. The Lunch and breakfast menu had very limited choices and did not vary much. After a week, it felt redundant. Toward the end of the week they did offer a tasty hamburger (no fries or starch) and that was a nice change.

For an all inclusive I found the drink selections too limited. If you want to drink rum punch or the local beer then you are in luck. If you want many of the basic other drinks you would expect to find on a tropical island, it either is not available or from a mix if available at all. The all- inclusive wine selection is dismal and just one step above Boones Farm. They do offer bottled wine at a hefty surcharge but did not have much of that in stock and run out after a few days and did not restock. I noticed the same wines at the local market so it would have been easy to get. So we did!

The people who worked at the resort worked very hard but with all the rooms booked, they just really could not keep up. So when I say the service also ruined the experience I want to make it clear that I feel this is a reflection on the owners management of the property and not the people working there who were expected to do too much and I think worked hard to saved the ship from sinking. While good table service is a nice touch, bad table service just ruins everything. Lunch and breakfast took 90 minutes to be served a single plate. Dinner took two plus hours. We had to get our own refills because the single server just had too much to do in the kitchen or to run food out. By the time dinner was over the bar was closing down soon. So people dispersed back to their rooms or the beach. So there isn’t anything to do at night except to sleep!

They had a security guard hanging out in the restaurant area with a friend listening to rap music. That kind of creped out my lady and she felt that since he wasn’t patrolling the other side and she worried about our room being broken into. It would have been better for him to be out of sight at dinner and to be making rounds.

The rooms were about the grade of a clean econo lodge. While I typically stay in a upper grade hotel when traveling, I wasn’t really put off by the room since I didn’t expect to do anything but sleep in the room. If I would have great food and service, the room would have been fine. But low grade room, service, and food did not make for good value.

While I think this property has all of the ingredients to be something special and perhaps for the first six months it was something special, we didn’t find it was at the time we were there. My take is that the owners were cutting cost so they removed the value in the drinks, food, and amenities. The owners also were not there like it had been mentioned in the past reviews so perhaps they were content to rest on the initial good reviews.

So I felt we did not received as good a value at Keyonna beach that we could have gotten at other premium priced resorts on the island. We would also be concerned to return as the resort is being expanded significantly and that might destroy the small quaint quite charm of the place and unless the staff is significantly increased, the service would be even worse. Also, I wouldn’t believe what the resort says about the place and would want to see a lot of consistent and specific positive reviews. There is a different between liking the staff and receiving proper service. I don’t have to fall in love with the staff but I better fall in love with the service if I’m going to return.

Some other information travelers might find useful is that the resort is in an area of the island where there isn’t much except a couple of restaurants down the beach. If you want lots of action close by then you will be bored and better served at a larger resort. We thought a boutique resort is a seclude area of the island would been more appealing than a larger busy resort.

About 2-3 miles away at Jolly Harbor (not really a safe path to walk there ) is a grocery store that has most anything you could want including a very extensive wine and liquor department. You can also get suntan lotion there. It is about $12 each way by taxi. If you want to leave the resort and see things I would suggest renting a car from the airport for the week which is about the cost for two-three days rental at the resort. If you go out a couple of days, go to the store, and pay for the transfers to/ from the airport it will cost about the same. We felt safe off resort and We were glad we had the option to leave the resort for a while and to get things for ourselves since the resort didn’t offer things we wanted like decent wine.

If you have a GPS, it is handy to use but unless you have world maps installed, you will need to purchase the island map and download it. You can navigate by maps but the gps just makes it easier. Perhaps the things we saw that we liked the best were devils rock and the view at the top from English harbor. St’ John was interesting but don’t go there when the cruse ships are in!

In summary, I really wanted to like this place and for this to be a place to return to again and again. The area is beautiful, the climate is great and the beach is quite and relaxing. But the resort just came off as an over priced econo lodge with staff that were working so hard to keep it going, it was hard to relax seeing them. I truly hope the owners correct the issues and do more then window dressing on the website to prove it.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
KeyonnaBeach, Owner at Keyonna Beach, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Every day we seek to make measurable improvements and welcome the comments to help improve the experience. In the hospitality industry there is often movement of personnel, however we continue to develop our team of chefs and augment our staff to accommodate our guests well. We hope that you will visit us again as we would be interested in hearing your views on the enhancements.

Been to Keyonna Beach? Share your experiences!