“Not what we expected after all the rave reviews” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Discover The Secret
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Turners Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Not what we expected after all the rave reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We chose Keyonna Beach for our winter holiday after reading the brilliant reviews on here, and after looking at their website. We have never stayed all inclusive before, as we normally like getting out and about and trying lots of different things, and the thought of a buffet lunch every day fills me with dread. But we were looking for a totally chilled out holiday, and the promise of chef cooked a la carte meals every day was really appealing. We were particularly excited about all the fresh fish, and tempting meals we kept reading reviews of online, and after looking at the sample menu on the resort's website.

I don't want to write a negative review of Keyonna Beach because in many ways we enjoyed the holiday. The beach is nice, the bali beds are great (as long as you can get one, which became a problem towards the end of our stay), and many of the staff try very hard to look after you. However, I want to write a review that would have helped me when choosing whether to stay here or not, so I hope this is helpful.

The rooms are adequate, clean, and despite not having a safe, wifi, or an ipod dock (all promised when we booked), were fine for our purposes. Unfortunately whilst we were there there was a lot of construction work happening (an issue we subsequently had to take up with our tour operator), and this was for the construction of additional cottages on the site, which will increase its capacity - which would worry me in terms of how the staff/bar/restaurant/bali bed situation will hold up. As I mentioned, by the end of our week there were more couples than bali beds and people were getting up in the morning and putting towels over them 'reserving' them, which was incredibly irritating - especially as the insects were SO BAD when we stayed that it wasn't even an option to lie on the sand.

Quick note re insects - they really were AWFUL during our stay (November) - mosquitoes in the restaurant were really terrible, and there are no fans trying to keep the air moving to try and help. On the beach there are sandflies which bit everyone terribly, I had 30 bites on one foot at one point - despite buying the best repellent I could find before we travelled. In the end one of the staff mentioned that they all use something called 'Be Gone', it smells like furniture polish and might be pretty toxic, but it actually works, so I bought that from a shop on the island which helped.

Food - The food we were served during our stay varied from good to poor - there were VERY limited options (I didn't think this would bother me, but by the end of the week it was quite depressing), with the same options over and over again in the seven days we were there. It felt like we were being served the cheapest fish they could buy - long gone are the crab cakes I kept reading about, instead it was conch fritters time and time again, and whilst I know it's personal taste, they are essentially sea snails, and taste like it - not quite the same as a lovely crab fishcake...
Snapper was served once, which was lovely, but most of the time it was mahi mahi for lunch and dinner and it got rather dull. One day when I decided I'd had enough of the mahi mahi I ordered the chicken instead. I kid you not it was chicken dipper type things in a cheese and tomato sauce which was one of the most unpleasant things I've ever been served -it was inedible.

We only had one 'local' dish served while we were there, and I think the loss of their first chef who obviously did a very good job, has left them struggling to keep standards up to be honest. Generally the food was just ok, but there were some dishes that I actually couldn't eat- which is a problem when there are no shops nearby or any other options to eat. As others have mentioned service is incredibly slow, again, this is something I didn't think would bother me - but I'm not talking about a relaxed pace of service, I mean one server struggling to deal with all the tables and issues at every meal time in terms of asking for bread and it turning up 30 minutes later, no sauces with your food etc etc, I know it might sound petty, but it really started to spoil things after a few days when eating became a chore rather than a pleasure.

Whilst we were there there was no music in the restaurant/bar, and no atmosphere, there was none of the live music we were told happened weekly, and mealtimes were rather silent/whispered affairs, which was a shame. I think this is something they are planning on changing - but we hadn't paid for an unfinished resort - so it was really disappointing. There were also no toilets in the restaurant/bar, so you had to go back to your room if you needed the loo or to wash your hands etc, again, another irritation.

The outdoor spa is a plastic tent at the end of the beach which the masseuese told me was too hot to go inside, so it is actually just a rickety old massage bed on the beach - not exactly a huge problem, but also not exactly an 'outdoor spa' - be warned.

On a final note - the resort has nothing nearby, taxis are expensive, and it's probably better to hire a car. We shared a taxi with two other couples up to Shirley Heights on the Sunday, and it cost us each about £60. Brilliant evening out!

I won't moan anymore - I just wanted to warn prospective guests that many of the older reviews are quite misleading now that the chef has changed, and now that they are expanding and, I think, trying to make it more profitable by cutting expenses.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Attracted by the latest mouthwatering lunch menu on the hotel's web site we visited for lunch.
However, the menu presented to us at the table bore no resemblance. Starters were, for example, basically salad, salad or salad.
Then the waitress said we could not eat a la carte but had to have a fixed price meal at US$40 with a glass of wine - choice "red, white or rose" - no wine list.
For my main course I ordered a well done burger and fries. It arrived cold and barely cooked. I sent it back and by the time the new one came my wife had already finished her underwhelming club sandwich and fries.
The second burger was cooked but tasted cheap and the fries had that taste of cheap cooking oil.

Very disappointing, very expensive. Having lived on Antigua for 10 years, I know I could have walked 100 yards and got a better meal for half the price. Next time I will.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
KeyonnaBeach, Owner at Keyonna Beach, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
We do appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. We apologise for your less than stellar experience. We are pleased to update that since your visit we have undertaken a number of changes to the menu, kitchen and restaurant operations. We anticipate that your experience now would be much improved. We would like to invite you and your wife to visit again at your convenience for a complimentary meal. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We finished our sailing course and were off the boat first thing in the morning but had a flight to catch late evening and wanted somewhere relaxed, with a real shower, to stay during the day. The Keyonna Beach hotel was recommended to us for a day-stay, and I am very glad we took the recommendation.

We arrived just in time for breakfast, which was hearty and served with a fresh juice of the day - also very tasty. The room we were given for the day was very basic, (no wifi), however it was all clean and the shower was well powered and warm - so my needs were met.

The beach was gorgeous. Although we were not first out there by any means, and the hotel looked like it had a fair few guests, there was still a four poster beach bed to lounge on. The beach is lovely soft white sand, and although there is a very tiny shingle patch to cross as you enter the water, the depth drops off relatively quickly, and the water was lovely for a swim.

We went late to lunch as we had had a relatively late breakfast. Lunch was tasty with a good choice, the house white wine was very nice. The only issue with sitting at the restaurant tables was that there was an awful lot of flies. Service from all of the staff was very good, we felt looked after by some very lovely people - which was a fantastic end to our little Caribbean trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgia USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed last July. The glowing reviews that had been written about the food prepared by a chef and service was the deciding factor for us. The past reviews mentioned that the condition of the front of the property put people off.

Ironically, when we arrived we found the front of the property had been landscaped since the reviews were written to resemble an English garden with low rock walls and beautiful flowers. We had expected it to look dumpy according to past reviews but were quite surprised that such an effort had been made by the owners to improve the property.

We traveled to other areas of the island and found this beach to be one of the best we saw. This area has mostly local inhabitants and no other active resorts so it is the number one hotel on this beach LOL. So there isn’t much traffic on the beach. The water is clear and clean. Since it on the gulf side the waves are minimal. I’d suggest you bring a float.

The only people on the beach were from the hotel most of the time. When the cruise ship came into port people do come down to the other end to spend the day. Also, there are a couple of party boats that come to the beach during mid day and play loud music. This kind of sours the atmosphere while they are there. But thankfully it is only from 10-2. The Bali beds are very nice and relaxing. We were lucky enough to get one each day but there were only 5 beds and seven rooms at the time we were there. When the resort expands this will be more of an issue unless they add more beds. The beach is un-groomed and really needs to be groomed so there isn’t a zone of rocks to walk across to get to the water. At this time of year the bugs were not bad to our surprise! Definitely the best part of resort is turners beach!

Overall I was disappointed with Keyonna Beach. I feel duped! The chef in the past reviews was gone and the food we were served was inconsistent. I noticed that information touting the chef was discretely pulled from the web site in the weeks after we left. While this is on a tropical island where fresh fish should have been abundant were served tilapia over and over again which is a farm raised bottom feeder. One night we were served king fish which was great. Another night I had a beef dish and it was outstanding as well. But the rest of the week, the food wasn’t very appealing at dinner and pretty repetitive. The Lunch and breakfast menu had very limited choices and did not vary much. After a week, it felt redundant. Toward the end of the week they did offer a tasty hamburger (no fries or starch) and that was a nice change.

For an all inclusive I found the drink selections too limited. If you want to drink rum punch or the local beer then you are in luck. If you want many of the basic other drinks you would expect to find on a tropical island, it either is not available or from a mix if available at all. The all- inclusive wine selection is dismal and just one step above Boones Farm. They do offer bottled wine at a hefty surcharge but did not have much of that in stock and run out after a few days and did not restock. I noticed the same wines at the local market so it would have been easy to get. So we did!

The people who worked at the resort worked very hard but with all the rooms booked, they just really could not keep up. So when I say the service also ruined the experience I want to make it clear that I feel this is a reflection on the owners management of the property and not the people working there who were expected to do too much and I think worked hard to saved the ship from sinking. While good table service is a nice touch, bad table service just ruins everything. Lunch and breakfast took 90 minutes to be served a single plate. Dinner took two plus hours. We had to get our own refills because the single server just had too much to do in the kitchen or to run food out. By the time dinner was over the bar was closing down soon. So people dispersed back to their rooms or the beach. So there isn’t anything to do at night except to sleep!

They had a security guard hanging out in the restaurant area with a friend listening to rap music. That kind of creped out my lady and she felt that since he wasn’t patrolling the other side and she worried about our room being broken into. It would have been better for him to be out of sight at dinner and to be making rounds.

The rooms were about the grade of a clean econo lodge. While I typically stay in a upper grade hotel when traveling, I wasn’t really put off by the room since I didn’t expect to do anything but sleep in the room. If I would have great food and service, the room would have been fine. But low grade room, service, and food did not make for good value.

While I think this property has all of the ingredients to be something special and perhaps for the first six months it was something special, we didn’t find it was at the time we were there. My take is that the owners were cutting cost so they removed the value in the drinks, food, and amenities. The owners also were not there like it had been mentioned in the past reviews so perhaps they were content to rest on the initial good reviews.

So I felt we did not received as good a value at Keyonna beach that we could have gotten at other premium priced resorts on the island. We would also be concerned to return as the resort is being expanded significantly and that might destroy the small quaint quite charm of the place and unless the staff is significantly increased, the service would be even worse. Also, I wouldn’t believe what the resort says about the place and would want to see a lot of consistent and specific positive reviews. There is a different between liking the staff and receiving proper service. I don’t have to fall in love with the staff but I better fall in love with the service if I’m going to return.

Some other information travelers might find useful is that the resort is in an area of the island where there isn’t much except a couple of restaurants down the beach. If you want lots of action close by then you will be bored and better served at a larger resort. We thought a boutique resort is a seclude area of the island would been more appealing than a larger busy resort.

About 2-3 miles away at Jolly Harbor (not really a safe path to walk there ) is a grocery store that has most anything you could want including a very extensive wine and liquor department. You can also get suntan lotion there. It is about $12 each way by taxi. If you want to leave the resort and see things I would suggest renting a car from the airport for the week which is about the cost for two-three days rental at the resort. If you go out a couple of days, go to the store, and pay for the transfers to/ from the airport it will cost about the same. We felt safe off resort and We were glad we had the option to leave the resort for a while and to get things for ourselves since the resort didn’t offer things we wanted like decent wine.

If you have a GPS, it is handy to use but unless you have world maps installed, you will need to purchase the island map and download it. You can navigate by maps but the gps just makes it easier. Perhaps the things we saw that we liked the best were devils rock and the view at the top from English harbor. St’ John was interesting but don’t go there when the cruse ships are in!

In summary, I really wanted to like this place and for this to be a place to return to again and again. The area is beautiful, the climate is great and the beach is quite and relaxing. But the resort just came off as an over priced econo lodge with staff that were working so hard to keep it going, it was hard to relax seeing them. I truly hope the owners correct the issues and do more then window dressing on the website to prove it.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
KeyonnaBeach, Owner at Keyonna Beach, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Every day we seek to make measurable improvements and welcome the comments to help improve the experience. In the hospitality industry there is often movement of personnel, however we continue to develop our team of chefs and augment our staff to accommodate our guests well. We hope that you will visit us again as we would be interested in hearing your views on the enhancements.
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My new wife and I feel very lucky that we selected Keyonna Beach for our honeymoon. It was actually my first time traveling outside the United States, so I was a bit nervous, but as soon as we arrived my uncertainties started to subside. Upon arrival, we were given our first taste of that fantastic Rum Punch as we filled out some forms for Alexa, one of the great employees.

I cannot say enough nice things about the employees. They went out of their way to insure we enjoyed ourselves without getting in our way...which I'm sure can be a fine line to walk. Alexa was always ready to help us book our (sometimes last-minute) excursions, arranging transportation and calling ahead to insure availability. The wait staff was friendly, but not overbearing. We occasionally asked for additional drinks, and I never got the feeling that it was looked down upon.

The food was absolutely fantastic, which obviously is important for an all-inclusive trip! My wife and I enjoyed the lunch and dinner options, eating mostly seafood (although other options were available). As another traveler mentioned, the breakfast options can be repetitive, but we enjoyed the pancakes, eggs and fruit each morning.

We really enjoyed the beach - pretty, calm and relaxing. My wife enjoyed picking up bits of sea-glass to take back home. Keyonna Beach had more than enough beach beds to accommodate the guests. If you're looking for a livelier beach, Turner's Beach is just a three minute walk to your left. There is a restaurant, some vendors, and the Wadadli Cats catamaran tour makes a stop there every so often.

Our room was actually nicer than I had allowed myself to expect. The four poster bed was comfortable and we made use of the mosquito netting. The restroom was quite nice. The shower had good water pressure and we enjoyed cracking the head-level window open just a bit to get a peek at the ocean. Our room was cleaned everyday while we were at breakfast or out on the beach. There was a mini-fridge that was well stocked with soda, water, sparkling water and Wadadli beer for our five-night stay.

We experienced no problems with bugs in our room, although we were on the second floor, so maybe that contributed? We also didn't have too bad a time with the mosquitos. We were pretty vigilant about spraying Off before we went outside. My wife got a few bites (less than 10), but I think that's to be expected when you're visiting the Caribbean!

A side note - the taxi service Keyonna used to take us to and from our excursions was J.J. & Son's Taxi...we loved them. J.J. and his son were very kind and acted as our tour guides as we drove through Antigua on our way to our destinations. Most destinations seemed to be about a 20 to 30 minute drive away from Keyonna. I found J.J. & Son's rates to be very fair as well.

During our time in Antigua, we went snorkeling, enjoyed a helicopter tour of the island, went shopping in St. John's, went ziplining, and explored Antigua's most beautiful beach, Half Moon Bay. Alexa graciously made all of these arrangements for us, sometimes on short notice.

All-in-all, we had a wonderful time, thanks in no small part to the people of Antigua and Keyonna Beach. I can wholeheartedly recommend Keyonna Beach to you and your significant other if you're looking for a quiet place to enjoy your Honeymoon or another special event! We saw a little bit of the ongoing construction and we hope to return one day to see the renovations when they are complete!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CocosHotel, Owner at Keyonna Beach, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Mark..we thank you for your feedback and look forward to you returning soon
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I researched for months any deal that looked great to see if it truely was a great deal. At last I found this place. My husband and I were very excited to enjoy Keyonna Beach.
A week before traveling I emailed to inquire about local excursions and to start reserving them. This is when I recieve a polite email answering questions then at the end it says that I have been re-booked else where as Keyonna Beach is closed for construction. I look on trip advisor and see that in mid August - a month before my travel construction had started and it was planned to close completely soon for more construction. Why was I not notified then?
I then look at the new place they are re-booking me. It is nothing near as nice - bedding from the 80s-90s and a little rough around the edges. I then look at the pricing, it was $150 USD cheaper per night! I ingure to the price difference and request that I recieve a deal that was equal to my original booking deal, or that I get an upgrade in hotel or have perks added in complimentary. ALL of which Keyonna Beach was unwilling to work with. I was put out and STUCK and they knew it.
Lucky for me I hate getting taken advantage of.
I researched all Antigua deals on travel sites such as Groupon and Living Social, etc. Low and behold I found the new hotel they were trying to book me at on sale. I canceled through Groupon for 100% refund of Keyonna beach, called the new hotel and booked direct, they were willing to honor the online deal I had found. All and all I saved right at $1,000 USD - something more than I expected. All I was asking from Keyonna Beach is to get some money back but I came out ahead doing it myself.
Also on one of the excursions I did take we docked at Keyonna Beach area - Trunk Bay to swim. My husband and I walked up to Keyonna Beach - nice romantic spot - it was 4pm and no obvious signs of construction but obviously closed. The only thing I noted was that the sand is rough and not fine and soft, only down side to note of this area for future travels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
CocosHotel, Owner at Keyonna Beach, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
It is unfortunate that you made a review of the property in these circumstances. We extended every effort to minimise the disruption and inconvenience including accommodating your additional night on island. Nevertheless, we hope that the recommendation we made that you pursued ensured a positive experience on our beautiful island although we realise it is not always possible to please everyone. We are heartened to hear that you were able to negotiate a customer discount directly with that hotel.

We would like to take the opportunity to thank the small number of guests moved during the work on property who expressed appreciation at our efforts to ensure their stay was as comfortable as possible. We look forward to announcing our updates in due course and to providing our new guests and repeat guests with even better service in the future. We are grateful for all feedback to date and anticipate receiving continued positive reviews.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My new husband and I just got back from our five-night stay at Keyonna Beach, and it was an almost perfect honeymoon. I was a little worried about the weather, but it was almost always sunny (though we missed then-Tropical Storm Isaac by only a couple of days).

We spent almost all of our time just sitting on the beach, relaxing and reading and playing in the water. The water was close to perfect: clear, warm, deep enough to allow for swimming but shallow enough that you could stand easily.

There were never more than two other couples there, though they are about to close for the month of September for an expansion that may mean there will be more guests at once in the future. We had fun chatting with the other couples, but we also had plenty of alone time. (It was our honeymoon, after all.) We also felt like we got to know the staff well. Some of the other reviews said that they weren't friendly, but we found that they were professional, nice, and eager to help. They weren't obsequious or falling all over themselves to bring us another drink, but I personally find that level of service uncomfortable. Every request--to help us book an excursion to Stingray City (awesome) or snorkeling (beautiful), to make another delicious but time-consuming rum punch, to serve us lunch a little early so we could fit in one more great meal before the flight--was met. They didn't switch out our beach towels every day, but when we asked for new ones, they were given immediately.

And the food really is as incredible as everyone says. The Cornish game hen special was divine, as were the crab cakes and the spicy (so spicy!) scallops with mushrooms. Breakfast was maybe a little monotonous--pancakes or eggs--but if it's good, I not only can handle but love the repetition. And the drinks were just delicious and definitely didn't skimp on the booze.

Our room was in a nearly perfect location, with French doors that allowed us to step right onto the beach. But it was right next to the kitchen, which meant we could tell by the noise if we were having veal for dinner that night. However, I think that with the renovation, they will be moving the kitchen, so that might not be a problem in the future. Also, the curtains could have been a little more opaque, given that we were right on the ground floor.

I think that the only real problem for me were the bugs. The mosquitoes were vicious, leaving me with 38 bites on my left leg alone, and spraying the room before dinner and coating myself with Off didn't seem to keep them away. I also had a screech-inducing encounter with a palmetto bug in the bathroom one night. But it's the Caribbean. Unless you're in a sterile, huge hotel, I don't know how you can avoid the creatures. The good news is that we saw lots of cute geckos and other lizards that I assume were doing their best to keep the bugs at bay.

This isn't the place to go if you want to get trashed every night and meet a ton of new people. But it was just the sort of calm, peaceful trip we were hoping for.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Keyonna Beach? Share your experiences!