“Totally Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chachagua Rainforest Hotel & Hacienda

You added Chachagua Rainforest Hotel & Hacienda to your Saves list
Chachagua Rainforest Hotel & Hacienda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 476-4005, Chachagua 1017, Costa Rica (Formerly Hotel Bosques de Chachagua)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chachagua
Chicago, Illinois
“Totally Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed five days the first week of December 2012 and had one of our best experiences. If you want to relax, this is the place. If you want to get away to a place without commercialism and experience nature, this is it. The cabins are especially comfortable, with an open covered deck. The best are those facing the rainforest (#114 and 115 are in the isolated corner where the toucans hang out). The food is good, especially the sea bass. They need a little more variety, perhaps a nightly special. But, for the most part, the food was good to excellent for the most part. Christian is an expert on the rainforest and nature, be sure to connect with him for help in finding and knowing about the nature in the rainforest. My wife loved the rushing creek (you have to ford the creek to get to the cabins). You're only a short drive to the Arenal volcano and a great walk through a deep rainforest where the howler monkeys roam. We also saw anteaters, a sloth (in the resort forest) and many tropical birds.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin facing the rainforest.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The bungalows and grounds here are really very special! We especially loved the design of the bungalows with the living area outside of the bedrooms! Bathrooms were spacious and first class. The hammocks and rockers quickly became our favorite resting spots! Overall the bungalows were enchanting! On the room I have only one quibble and would be so easy to fix. The mattress pads are so thin that I thought there wasn't one! I could feel the tufting of the mattress---not particularly pleasant :( but so easy to fix.

The grounds are spectacular and the rubber boots and umbrellas provided by the hotel are a necessity for hiking the property---thank you!

I wish I could say something good about the food but I honestly cannot. Breakfast ham was inedible, eggs dry. Your best bet is to ask for pancakes----they will make them fresh. I am sorry to say that dinner buffet was equally poor. I am not exceptionally fussy about food and I love Latin food. They need to do some serious work in this department. You really are too remotely located to want to leave the hotel for meals. Other than food quality this was a dreamy hideaway!

Room Tip: 203 was a nice location next to the babbling brook! However very loud music from the bar marred our...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Southport, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

It's the rain forest so what do you expect? The staff is very accommodating and the rooms are very unique: rain shower heads, windows that open ALL the way, double entry doors, and very comfortable beds. To reach the hotel you must travel 2 KM from the main highway down a very rough road. It's also a long but beautiful walk from the reception area if your vehicle cannot take it through the stream separating the reception from rooms and bar/restaurant. The pool is inviting but you're in a rain forest! Saw a worker in the organic garden adjacent to the dining room -- he was spreading fertilizer in time release form and then covering it with dirt. Hmmm. Food in the dining room is very good and the produce is grown on site -- best fried fish (tilapia?) I've had in a long time as it was very lightly breaded and fried to a greasless perfection. Flan was also delightful. Coffee preparation is uniquely Coasta Rican-- the drip method uses a cloth tube resembling a sock in which coffee is placed and boiling water is poured over. The kitchen and prep area are open so you can watch the ladies at work.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the 200 building, you are within range of the WiFi. If you are in sectons 300...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was our second visit to this resort (our first was 15 years ago). And while little has changed in the way of wildlife and super friendly staff, so much has changed in terms of its respect of the environment and the local community.

But first let's start with the basics. This is a very comfortable resort with lovely bungalows made from local tropical exotic woods, large beds, an open-air shower and a large covered porch. The rooms have also been renovated recently and a new restaurant and kitchen have been built. The food was very good and the menu was varied and relatively inexpensive for Costa Rica. Staff were polite, friendly and professional. Please keep in mind that this is a Spanish-speaking country and be patient with staff if their English isn't what you're used to at home. Better still, make an effort to learn a few words in Spanish.

Second, this is a great place for bird watching and for learning about the "jungle" and its plants and inhabitants. We saw many new species of birds on our guided hike with the resident naturalist who speaks very good English and knows all about the rainforest and the many creatures and plants that inhabit it. He is super friendly and always available to help identify a bird or a flower. He is so keen on sharing his knowledge and love of the environment.

In addition, the new owners have put a great deal of effort into making this resort eco-friendly in many ways. They grow most of their own fruits and vegetables and raise their own pigs and chickens. And it's all organic farming.
The new swimming pool uses no chemicals; the water is fresh from the mountain streams and in filtered for purity.
A new methane gas system using waste from the pigs produces all the gas needed for cooking. Soon they will add a larger faciltiy to generate most of the electricity for the hotel. They have even introduced this inexpensive system for producing gas and protecting the environment to the local community.

They are also working with the community to educate locals on the benefits of farming on a smaller scale that is less destructive to the fragile rainforest environment and on the benefits of tourism if the environment is preserved.
To back this up, the hotel employs mostly local residents to support the local economy.

HIkes around the large former farm property with the resident naturalist are educational and enjoyable. Umbrellas and rubber boots are provided.

Although it is probably best to have your own car in order to enjoy the nearby thermal baths and Arenal volcano, an airport pickup can be arranged by the hotel. At $140, however, it is probably cheaper to rent your own car and you'll have more flexibilty to enjoy the local sites. The trip from the airport in San Jose takes about 2 hours. Allow extra time to get lost and to stop at sites along the way. And don't worry about the rough road into the hotel. Just drive slowly and take your time. It's not that bad.

This is a great place to relax and enjoy nature for couples or families.

Room Tip: The bungalows near the stream are most private and the soothing sounds of the running water are rela...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The Chachaqua Rainforest Hotel has the perfect balance of adventure amid nice amenities. My husband and I came here to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. We loved being right in the midst of the rainforest. (Downside was being a bit out of the way and a treacherous 2 mile rocky road to get in and out of the hotel). However, that didn't keep us from all the adventure. There is plenty to do in the nearby Arenal Volcano area. I recommend renting a car so you can come and go at your leisure.

If coming to Costa Rica I definitely recommend staying at this hotel at least 3 nights. We stayed 5 nights and didn't want to leave. You can book tours from here and even go on a guided night hike with Christian (the hotel's resident Biologist) which I highly recommend.
The service is excellent and the food is good too.

If you are looking for a unique adventure give the Chachaqua Hotel a try. We will never forget our stay here.

• Stayed November 2012
natguide, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Chachagua Rainforest Hotel & Hacienda, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you very much!
We are looking forward your next visit, with arms wide open!
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I don't even know where to begin with my review of Chachagua Rainforest Hotel. It was the most incredible vacation experience I have ever had. My boyfriend and I arrived just before 5PM on Saturday after finding the hotel quite easily with our GPS, it brought us right there when we discovered the right selection, wish I could remember for you all! I think it was something like Chachagua Hotel 1071T or something to that extent. We drove up the infamous dirt road, and got a wave hello from everyone in the neighborhood on our bumpy ride. Upon pulling into the resort we were stunned, before the gates we saw the horses roaming around looking like they were in total paradise. We pulled up and checked in, and asked about a room upgrade, which has been suggested. He gave us the keys to some different rooms and let us take a little tour on our own!! As a real estate agent in the city it was so fun to play agent to my boyfriend and convince him to open up the budget! We spent our first night in our original rainforest room, it was an end unit so it was great, but with 7 nights there we wanted to change it up a little. We spent 2 nights in the Jacuzzi bungalow which was a blast. We were right on the edge of the resort and had 2 toucans outside our window every morning. The Jacuzzi does take a little patience to fill with hot water, but we had nothing but time to relax and fill it slowly! The porch and hammock is so worth it on those rainy nights with a book and a bottle of wine. The other nights we took a regular bungalow as someone had booked the Jacuzzi one we were staying in, and moved to the other end of the resort near the restaurant and creek. We had a wonderful time finishing our trip there. I feel like the porch is almost mandatory! When you want to enjoy the torrential rain, which was daily for us, there is no better place than from the comfy couch or hammock. The rooms were very spacious, and the rain shower head in the bathroom was amazing, and you can look right out into the jungle from the shower! The beds were comfy and the rooms stayed cool with just the ceiling fan at night. We absolutely loved the food and opted to eat there almost every night, the typical with tilapia was our favorite meal of the trip! All the staff were more then helpful and kind, and the waiters and bartenders were also wonderful. We also met Christian who gave us some great advice on pacific coast beaches, and also invited us on a photography trip he was taking on the property. This was probably one of the most amazing experiences we had, he took us through the stream with the water above our waist! It was a blast and the water was gorgeous. He shared with us his true passion for the rainforest and his goals of preserving it, as well as teaching others to preserve. We did drive out to Guanacaste for a night, and went to Playa Hermosa, it was nice to have a little sun, but we honestly couldn't wait to get back to the rain in Chachagua. I think we got about 20 minutes total by the pool, but the water was crisp and clean! We honestly couldn't be more pleased with our trip and loved the independence we experienced there. There are no phones in the room, and the wifi can be a little spotty when the rain picks up, so you really experience being in the middle of the jungle with only the sounds of the creek and wildlife. We did get to see the sloth, always exotic birds, and some lizards. We've never been more sad to leave a trip, and hope to get back. Don't be nervous about the drive from the airport, I spent months panicking about it, the driving is half the fun of Costa Rica in my opinion. It took us a little over 3 hours in the afternoon to get there, and to the airport early in the morning it was a breeze at about 2-2.5 hours. We started driving around in the evenings after a couple of days getting used to the roads, but its much better to drive by day. Those huge tour buses will go up the little roads and one way bridges around the country too! Scary! Experiencing Costa Rica in the off season with all the rain was so fun, we were the only ones at the La Fortuna Waterfall for an hour in the morning. Christian said there are lines to get in there and you have to take turns in March. We did a fair share of activities, but a fair share of relaxing too. The resort was very quiet, because of the season I'm guessing, so we got up early and had breakfast, went back and hung out on the porch and then a few activities before it got dark around 5 and we would head back. We were never bored, and I know a lot of people have these extreme itineraries, but we wanted to absorb the tranquility of the surroundings. The waterfall is a must, the hot springs were great, we went to Ecotermales and it was very nice. We did the evening trip which is from 5-9, I would suggest waiting til about 6 to get there, you wont do the full 4 hours, and if there is a tour there they will be wrapping up by then and you can enjoy a little more privacy. Hanging bridges were a blast, and a great way to see some wildlife. We did some other tours too that I'll review on there forums. I hope everyone who visits really appreciates what Chachagua has to offer! I know not wearing make up and not blow drying my hair for a solid week was a total delight for me!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a bungalow at least for a couple nights if you can! Find Christian!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I cannot express how unique and enjoyable my two-night stay here was. The rooms are gorgeous independent cabins with porches (complete with hammock and comfortable chairs), a big bedroom with garnishes of local foliage decorating each feature, and an amazing bathroom with an open shower area separated from the natural environment around you only by a screen from the waist up, a big circular shower head making you feel like you are under a waterfall outdoors. You have to up able to walk up and down stairs to get around the property, as the rooms are strung out (the better for each inhabitant to feel like he or she is alone in this Eden), and you have to cross a road to get o the restaurant, and go over a foot bridge (a lovely stream below) to reach the reception lodge. I thrilled at every chanceIi had to walk somewhere, as the grounds are so beautiful! Everything except the rooms is open air, with a roof keeping the rain off you but everything else well integrated with nature. There's a free Internet terminal at reception, and the restaurant offers good food. But the reason to be here is the amazing variety of birds you see here. It is a major birding destination.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chachagua Rainforest Hotel & Hacienda? Share your experiences!