“A Great Destination” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Beach Studios
L.G. Smith Blvd. 486, Malmok Beach, Aruba   |
“A Great Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Sunset Beach Studios is a great place to stay in Aruba. It's small, one story, has a pool and spa, and is across the street from the ocean. This is the kind of place we look for. The grounds and pool are kept spotlessly clean. The staff works very hard on this. JP and Eve are gracious, helpful, and friendly. They also do a great job of cleaning your room. We were in Garden 7, which is next to the pool and directly across from the office. The semi-private patio with table and chairs is also nice. The actual rooms are a bit smaller in person than in the photos, but more than adequate. But there are a few negatives. Sunset Beach is 2 miles from the nearest restaurant, bar, or store. The beach across the street is really not a beach. You definitely need aqua socks if you dare enter the ocean (but there are beaches a couple miles to the north and south that are wonderful). So, there is no bar, restaurant, or food within walking distance, which I consider a negative.

Aruba in general: The weather is spectacular. 84, sunny, and breezy everyday. There is a 20 - 30 east wind day and night, but everything is on the west shore, so the wind is not that bad. The island is only 20 miles long by 6 miles wide, but feels much bigger. The sun is brutal, got sun burned in 2 hours of exposure with 45 sun block on (still hurts). Really, an hour or two per day is all I could take, and I'm dark skinned and tan easily. Very good snorkeling right from the beach (I did it one day). Beaches are very nice.

The negatives: The brutal sun (close to the equator). Tons of cars and traffic, not everywhere
but in the two major cities it can be bad. Expensive. Going out to eat was always at least $50
for two with a couple cocktails. The Pelican's Nest on the pier cost us $120 with two drinks (although my wife had the $55 lobster, which was excellent). Food in general was okay but not terrific. The best meals we had were the ones I made on the grill with fresh fish we caught deep sea fishing. We avoided the high rises and more expensive places. Alcohol is very expensive (~$30+ for a liter of booze or a case of beer). Food at the grocery stores was not bad, and good quality. There is a huge Chinese influence. Tons of small disorganized Chinese food marts, and chinese restaurants. The flies were kind of bad while we were there, but not terrible. Driving around is a challenge as most roads and maps have no signs. I should have brought a compass. We got lost a few times but managed to find the sites we wanted to see. I highly recommend renting a car while there, because of Sunset Beach's location. Our Amigo rent-a-wreck was a total POS, but it got us to where we needed to go. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: The ocean views are nicer but more money. We did have an occluded view of the ocean from our garden...

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Sunset Beach Studuios was exactly what we were looking for Very quiet, ultra clean property with very intimate atmosphere. Our room was spacious and comfortable A kitchenette had everything we neded to cook all kind of meal what was very important to me because I don't like to go out to eat. We also liked a lot a little patio a front of our studio where we usually had lunch and dinner accompanied by two beautiful cats, they really made us feel at HOME-:)
We can't say enough about the owners and staff. Everyone was so helpful and friendly trying to solve any problem as soon as possible. We would never forget JP (the owner) who made a special ramp for my husband's handicap scooter as soon as he noticed that he was having a hard time getting through the gate. We really always felt that the staff including every single person was truly helpful and sincere in wanting our experience to be the best it could be.
Another great thing about Sunset Beach Studios is Undoubtedly the LOCATION!!! It is absolutely perfect spot for everything! Located between famous Palm Beach and absolutely stunning Arashi Beach Sunset Studios give you a chance to do whatever you fell like at any time. If you miss the noisy crowd and all kinds of Carribean most popular activities go to the left 15 minutes walk will bring you to High-rise hotels area. If you take a walk in the different direction you would have a chance to enjoy crystal clear water, pristine sand and playful wildlife just a few minutes away from the studio. In case you just want to spend a peaceful romantic night with your Sweetheart go to the beach right across from the Studios and enjoy unforgetta
ble sunset.
So another words if you really want to spend some time in the PARADISE surrounded by team of ANGELS next time book a room at Sunset Beach Studio:-)

Arashi Beach Sunset Studios snorkeling, fishing, swimming, kite

We always felt

Western Mass. Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Having stayed at Sunset Beach Studios three years ago we decided to go back and see if the magic was still there. Yes it was, it was like coming home again. The friendly owners and staff made our stay there a pleasure. We upgraded to a larger room and deck with a view of the ocean.
It's just a short distance form the high rises which allows you the feeling of a quiet island with a short walk ( on the beach-20 minutes) to the activity when you want it. Most of our time was spent either at a small quiet beach just down the street or on our deck reading . It was the perfect retreat after a busy year. The friendly people that were staying there made it even more special. Good to see Walter again after three years. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Book early, they go quick. Try the large garden 1, you won't be disappointed . Large bathroom an...
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Got home last night from an absolutely wonderful time at your studio apartments. It was everything we were looking for, more of a "family atmosphere". Our studio was just what we needed, and kept very clean by the hard working cleaning staff! J.P. and Eve were terrific hosts and really looked after us! If you're looking for a nice quiet vacation, this is the place for you. We call it our little "gem". Glad we found it! We've already booked for next year and are counting down the days until we get there!

Kerry & Ben White - Bloomingdale, Ontario

Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

It was our first visit to Aruba and we were looking for a place to stay away from the bustle of activities in the high and mid-rise hotel districts. We found the perfect place at Sunset Beach Studios! While I was initially disappointed that the larger studios with a view were booked, our #2 studio was the perfect size, and was possibly the most private on the property. Every evening we walked across the road (not very busy) to enjoy the sunset. We liked having the kitchenette, so that we didn't have to go out for all our meals. The location was convenient if you have a car - it was so easy to get around. The owners staff and other guests were delightful. Loved the blend of nationalities.

Very glad we toured Arikok park - even tho we had a small Kia the driving was fine along the main routes as long as we drove slowly - incredible country! We're not strong swimmers, so the best beach for us was Eagle - parking under the trees, sand beach with gentler swells (downside is they are all hotel properties so you can't rent a chair or buy a drink) but you can rent one from the studios and bring it along.

Staff is so helpful with restaurant suggestions and reservations. Hands down the best fish we ate was at Pelican pier - grilled grouper that tastes like they just plucked it from the sea. It's near the holiday Inn so we might not have tried it without the strong recommendation from a fellow traveler. All around a lovely spot!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lithonia, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I recently celebrated my birthday in Aruba. It was my 4th time on this beautiful island. My first time at Sunset Beach. I must say I was not disappointed. Eve and Monique went out of the way to make sure I was comfortable. My birthday morning imagine my surprise to a beautiful vase on the patio of cut flowers. Later on a box of chocolate. I really enjoyed my stay at Sunset the room was nice, clean and safe. A female traveling alone that's very important. I would like to say a special Thank you to Monique she made a good trip a better trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here for the 2nd part of my trip to Aruba, over NYE holiday. Very friendly and helpful staff , as well as the other guests. Directly across from a beach, for great sunset views. Down the street from both Malmok and Arashi beach- great snorkeling.
The 1st room was a garden studio with a porch, views of the ocean. Tiny room but great views.
Our 2nd room was another garden studio with 2 twins and a futon. Much bigger with a cute table outside for coffee/ cocktails/ wifi reception.
I would absolutely recommend this and hope to be back.
My only suggestion to make my stay better is that the screens need to be fixed in the windows. We had to spray ourselves head to toe with mosquito spray both inside and outside of our room. Upon investigation on why we were waking up with bites during our sleep, I found that the screens in the kitchen had about 1" gap from the window frames.
Wasn't awful or wouldn't keep me away from this property- just make sure to bring or buy mosquito spray or you will be miserable.
2 cute cats and a shower for you to use, once checked out, were also pluses. Snorkel gear to rent and drinks on property are very convenient.
I hope to go back soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Beach Studios? Share your experiences!