“A bit disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Malt Shovel

The Malt Shovel
Low Moor Lane, Brearton, Harrogate HG3 3BX, England (Formerly Bleikers at The Malt Shovel)
+44 1423 862929
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Malt Shovel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 restaurants in Brearton
Cuisines: European, Swiss, British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Harrogate
“A bit disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and myself chose to eat here on Saturday evening. It does come well recommended but our evening was peppered with poor service. Chasing for drinks, chasing for a wine menu, mains arriving whilst dirty starter dishes were still placed on table, but by far the biggest gastronomique crime of the evening was the arrival of my eagerly awaited pork belly with not crackling but a rasher of bacon! I assumed the crackling was hidden but to no avail. I chased (again) the waitress and was told that the kitchen must have made a small mistake and mistook my pork for the scotch egg starter!! The chips served with the Steak looked very processed and not fresh which too was disappointing. The atmosphere in the conservatory was a little staid, and the decor a little dated, and the place just had a feeling of being 'passed it'. It is not cheap to eat here and it is out of the way and I really think that it has to do better than this to keep people making the journey and commitment to dine here. We were the last people in there at 10.30pm. Maybe Sunday lunch would have been better.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
York, United Kingdom
“Excellent food in a lovely setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I visited the Malt Shovel with my wife on a Sunday lunchtime to celebrate my 53rd birthday. This is a lovely restaurant/pub in a beautiful Yorkshire village and is highly recommended. The food was freshly prepared, well presented and very good quality. I chose the most expensive starter at about £10.00,(Queen scallops with cheese and bacon) which was very good and for my main course, Veal with a caper and anchovy dressing (at around £20.00) which was excellent. My wife enjoyed a Pate` starter followed by Chicken with lemon and thyme and for dessert a Strawberry Panecotta, all of which was very good. The total bill with 3 drinks was around £70.00, not cheap but about right for a restaurant of this quality. The service was excellent and the staff were very helpful and efficient. A restaurant I would definitely visit again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Excellent restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We ate in the Malt Shovel twice during our visit to Yorkshire - once on a quiet Thursday and also on a busy Friday. The food was excellent with fish a real speciality (my wife had the fish kebab one night and the queenie scallops the other; I had Dover sole and magnificent haddock goujons). A particular highlight was the local cheeseboard. There is a good selection of wines on offer by the glass. We were fortunate enough to get a quite corner table (would have been particularly nice in the winter). I understand it can get a bit noisy at the weekends - a victim of its own success perhaps?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Harrogate
“Excellent village pub with real charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

With so many gastro pubs now being part of large chains and designed to a standard formula it is great to visit the Malt Shovel with its individual charm. The decor is quirky and interesting, the food and serice very competent. The individuality also extends to the menu with dishes that are not usually found in other formula restaurants and pubs. There is no one thing that is exceptional its is the combination of all aspects of the pub that makes it excellent.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Yorkshire
“Solitary but nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Was taken here for lunch by one of my dining chums. We had both been here years ago and really couldn't remember if it had been a good, bad or indifferent experience - so we decided to throw caution to the winds and became glad we did.
Brearton is a sweet little enclave north of Harrogate and east of Ripon and the Malt Shovel appears to be the sole pub/restaurant. If you ignore the unprepossessing view of the back of the establishment from the car park, then it has the appearance of a good old Yorkshire country pub. Inside, stone flags in the bar and country furniture add to the appeal. But it was deserted at 12.30pm on a sunny summer's day. With some trepidation we decided to stay but had good cause to reconsider our initial hesitation. My starter of fish cakes adorned with smoked salmon was the best example of this dish I can recall. My companion found his squid equally good. We then both had the pork belly and, again, it proved to be by far the best example of this inexpensive (but now fashionable) cut I have ever had - quite superb!
Wine by the glass was well selected, coffee was excellent and the owner was warm and friendly. I'll return. But where, oh where, were the clientele on such a gorgeous day. For only this reason I'd have to mark done the ratings for atmosphere and bar scene.
Judging by my glimpses of the prices and my taste buds I'd say it was superb value for money.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere