“Missed the mark” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel

You added Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel to your Saves list
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Howtown Rd, | Lake Ullswater, Pooley Bridge, Penrith CA10 2LZ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pooley Bridge
“Missed the mark”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Amazing setting and beautiful, over the top, chintzy decor, but a little 'tired'.
Outrageously expensive - we were charged £30 for the honour of sharing our room with our dog (we brought our own dog bed). The room temperature was awful. Felt like a sauna when we arrived, so off with all the radiators and open the windows. Then frozen by 4am (we closed the windows before we went to bed!), so on again with rads only to be woken be sweltering heat at 7am.
The food was nice, but not as wonderful as we were led to believe. I had Scollops (beautifully cooked) with under cooked leeks with no hint of truffles and no pancetta. The Venison was perfect, but there was no Chilli in my Chocolate and Chilli Tart (but it was a perfectly nice Chocolate Tart.)
The staff were friendly enough but I just had the feeling that I wasn't quite good enough - everyone else seemed to be quaffing champagne whilst we were struggling with the £30 house wine! Best not be thirsty - we had to wait 15mins for a drink!...........and they don't serve pints!
Would I go back? Probably not - even if I won The Lottery!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Sharrow Bay is definitely worth a visit but I think it is past its prime. Service good if not a bit confused at times - we kept getting jugs instead of pots of hot water. Finally announced that they had run out of pots. It is dated but charming. There are lots of nice pieces and particularly like the photos of the former owners and John and Norma Major. The food was good I thought but not great and again I think it might have been overtaken by others.

All in all I thought it was very expensive but glad I went - not sure I will be back.

Room Tip: Aphrodite is a good room. Very cosy
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This slightly shabby-chic hotel is located on the edge of Ullswater with stunning views across the water, lovely gardens etc. It has a somewhat rambling layout and decor is a little on the fussy side for my tastes, but the food is delicious as is the wine. Staff are friendly but not always efficient, particularly when there are lots of guests - for example, we had to ask several times for more water on the table, the menu and food arrival was slow. We did not stay so can't comment on the rooms but I would suggest this would be nice for a weekend break, or even just a special occasion meal - it wasn't cheap!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We went for lunch today and found the staff to be attentive and friendly whilst the food was most excellent. Yes it is a bit tired in places if you looked for it, but it has a certain charm, is exceptionally cosy and comfy and the location on the lake is stunning. After lunch we sat at the picture window enjoying a coffee looking over the lake which was so calm the sky was perfectly reflected in it. What better way to wile away a couple of hours on a winters day.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Booked for a Sunday lunch. Could only get a table at 1.30 despite booking well in advance. We were impressed by the welcome from the receptionist and were shown into a comfortable lounge with a fabulous view over the lake. We were disappointed that they had run out of sea bass and could not understand why our 'amuse bouche' consisted a tiny cup of soup while the people at the next table received a small savoury. Had they run out of these as well and fobbed us off with some left over soup? Service was willing but as all the staff, bar the sommelier, spoke poor English it was difficult to communicate with them. The food was average. The whole place would benefit from a good maitre d'hôtel in charge of the restaurant. The final disappointment was that when I asked for the ladies' room I was directed towards a steep staircase. As I am disabled and wobbly on my feet I decided not to risk it. I was told there was an alternative outside, so no provision for disabled guests with in the hotel then. We are not sure we would return.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Funchal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have just had three nights at The Sharrow Bay and could not have chosen a better place to chill out and recharge our batteries. Our room which was full of tartan was as comfortable a hotel room I have ever stayed in. If you are into minimalist rooms this is not for you but if you like cosy country house comfort you will not be disappointed. We had a lovely sitting room area and a huge great bed whice was very comfortable. The bathroom was excellent.

The food was brilliant. We stayed in for dinner every night and although the menu did not change there was plenty of choice and everything delicious. Canapes were produced with our drinks before dinner and you also received an amuse bouche before your starter and again before your pudding so effectively you had five courses. All the staff in the dining room and the hotel were so charming.
You could not fault breakfast. The orange juice was fresh which seems to be a rarity these days.

Best of all is the atmosphere of Sharrow Bay. The views of Lake Ullswater were beautiful. I had wanted to go for many years and had to wait for probably twenty before getting the opportunity so my expectations were high. I was not disappointed.

I cant wait to go back for another break and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are as good as each other. there is a house in the garden with some rooms b...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have stayed at Sharrow Bay before , and it is a magical haven of burning log fires , sumptuous interior decor and the most stunning views ! This time we couldn't stay , so instead took morning tea and the freshest scones ( reminiscent of the Langham) with their home made jam . It was a fabulous way to spend a rainy morning , overlooking The most spectacular view!

Stayed November 2014

Been to Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!