Amazing setting and beautiful, over the top, chintzy decor, but a little 'tired'.
Outrageously expensive - we were charged £30 for the honour of sharing our room with our dog (we brought our own dog bed). The room temperature was awful. Felt like a sauna when we arrived, so off with all the radiators and open the windows. Then frozen by 4am (we closed the windows before we went to bed!), so on again with rads only to be woken be sweltering heat at 7am.
The food was nice, but not as wonderful as we were led to believe. I had Scollops (beautifully cooked) with under cooked leeks with no hint of truffles and no pancetta. The Venison was perfect, but there was no Chilli in my Chocolate and Chilli Tart (but it was a perfectly nice Chocolate Tart.)
The staff were friendly enough but I just had the feeling that I wasn't quite good enough - everyone else seemed to be quaffing champagne whilst we were struggling with the £30 house wine! Best not be thirsty - we had to wait 15mins for a drink!...........and they don't serve pints!
Would I go back? Probably not - even if I won The Lottery!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sharrow Bay is unique; the epitome of English country living in an unrivalled location surrounded by snow-topped mountains and fells, right on the shores of Lake Ullswater, widely regarded as the most beautiful lake in the country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sharrow Bay Country Hotel
- Sharrow Bay Country Penrith
- Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel Pooley Bridge, England