“A beautiful place to get away from it all.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anbabnega Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carti Tupile
Anbabnega Lodge
85027, Panama   |
CT
“A beautiful place to get away from it all.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

We spent 5 nights at Anbabnega in Feb. and I can't rave enough about our experience. Everyone is so friendly and helpful it took some getting used to! Marcela was so helpful, even before the trip started! She was kind enough to call and help me arrange transport from Panama City to the island. She went above and beyond the call of duty throughout our entire stay. The first three days we shared the lodge with other tourists and visited some really beautiful islands. On our third night staff and other tourists joined in for a fun night of music and singing (we had guitars with us, music really is the universal language). Our last two nights we had the lodge to ourselves and Marcela let us go on our own schedule each day on our excursions (which are included with the price of the stay along with the meals). Needle island is particularly beautiful. Jose gives great tours of the Carti Tupile village, as well as surrounding islands. Marcela is a wonderful hostess and shares interesting stories of life on the island with her visitors each night at dinner. The Kuna on the island are friendly and it is a real treat to be able to stay on this island. The views are spectacular and the service you receive at the lodge is fantastic. We can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

if you want adventure and isolation, this is the place to be.......the jeep ride is an adventure in itself. people at the lodge is always on time unlike the city people from panama and very friendly... especially marcela, the owner, if you get to meet her. marcela is fluent in english, spanish, and the dialect of the kunas.....the meals were great and the islands are heavenly..white sand and blue waters..just a place to sunbathe or read a great book under the palm trees. the lodge is clean and safe. just bring mosquito repellant and wet wipes, since you have to shower in salt water..... and make sure you are in the list for the flight back to the city with the little old lady at the el provenir hotel because if you are not in her handwritten list, you may get stranded in kuna yala. by the way, you much rather stay at anbabnega lodge than at the el provenir hotel.......the hotel seems dingy and people are not friendly like at the lodge.....

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
businessfalcon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This is a perfect place to get away from it all. I am usually bombarded by phone calls anytime I go on vacation from home to Paris to Hong Kong to Australia. This would rate as one of my top 3 vacation spots in the world to relax and get some bonding time with that special person in your life. I started the day very early as usual and was notified that my transportation was already at the hotel to take me to Carti. I told Rebekah, o make sure we had dollars because I read one of the other reviews here and it said you needed lots of singles. When we got to the boat landing I was a little tired from riding in a 4X4 through dirt roads, rivers and all kinds of rough terrain. We were picked up by boat and when we got to the hotel it wasn't a Ritz or a One and Only Resort but it was very charming and the staff was so nice. It looked like we were visiting Robinson Crusoe. We were told all meals were included and I was starving and asked if the first meal was ready yet. To my amazement the meal was ready less than 40 minutes after we arrived. Rebekah loves seafood and we both ate as much vegetables, fish, chicken and crab that I felt like I was the King of Persia for the whole time we were there. The owner Chela was so sweet and had the most beautiful smile when she came over and introduced herself. She spoke perfect English and had us entertained with all of her stories about the Kuna Indians. She told us some of their legends and explained some of their cultural beliefs. We were enthralled with her storytelling and did not even feel the hours pass. We had dinner and Chela explained that we should sleep early so we would be ready for the excursion to the other islands in the morning. Rebekah and I spent the whole morning snorkeling at the different islands and we even took a little nap on one of the beaches. It was like I was in another world because for the 2 days I was there I never had to answer a phone and I was noticably a lot more relaxed. We went back and had one more day of eating, relaxing, storytelling and fun, then we headed back to reality. I have been back for 4 days and am looking forward to March when I will be going back to Ababnega Lodge for a week of relaxation with Rebekah and a couple of our friends. We will be there for the week of the 14th and I have planned to reserve one of the rooms with the balcony. Truly a slice of heaven for those of you who are stressed from overwork or just want to get away from it all. Ask for Chela when you go because she is the best storyteller and she makes you feel like part of her family.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
phoenix, az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

This place is like living in a National Geographic video! The Kuna Indians are hospitable and kind- the islands are truly paradise-lost. Bring lots of dollars because you get charged $5 to enter onto Kuna land; $2 once you get to where your boat picks you up; $2+ for the boat ride to your island; and usually $2 for every island you want to visit that is inhabited. This is a very cheap price to pay. Be sure to bring water and beer to the island- Anbabnega has water but its good to have your own just in case. When we were there the stores had beer but not very much (we usually bought them out of the 5 cans they had). Bring flip flops- nothing fancy- your feet are always wet! I recommend this experience to everyone! Anbabnega is not a Hyatt- but it has the amenities you need- a roof, a hammock to sleep in, toilets (which are a luxury), and two showers. The price of all your meals (3 a day) are included in the room fee. I ate like a king- fish, fresh chicken, vegetables, local fare. It was great! Feb seemed like a good time to go weather wise- warm but not hot and humid.

• Liked — the location is right on the ocean
  • Disliked — takes a while to get there; 2 hours through the jungle, but its worth it
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Anbabnega Lodge? Share your experiences!