“Hitgeheim” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hitgeheim Country Lodge

You added Hitgeheim Country Lodge to your Saves list
Hitgeheim Country Lodge
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   off Route R336 | Outside the park, Addo, Sundays River Valley, South Africa   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Addo B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
“Hitgeheim”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Friendly and proffessional staff and very nice food.5star rooms with view,even from the bath.The highlight for us was our trip to Addo Park.We had an exceptional guide,Peter who has a remarkable knowledge of the fauna and flora.I was able to take very good photos of a wide variety of animals and birds including a Jackal Buzzard in flight. I strongly recommend Hitgeheim to everybody.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Franschhoek, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

fantastic site, rooms are very luxury.
quiet place, spacious rooms, beautifull lookout
excellent welcome from owners
good fruity breakfast
3 very nice safari's with lunch
only 80 km from port elisabeth (1 hour fly from capetown)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I visited Hitgeheim for three nights whilst on a holiday from the UK with my Mum in early July. My Mum and late father lived all over Africa at different times through his work and this was a poignant trip, especially for my Mum.

I chose Hitgeheim as a result of the glowing reviews and researched it thoroughly. Here I've pasted my inital contact enquiry FYI:

Chalet 5 please. Mother and son, travelling together, so need twin beds. found via tripadvisor Thanks! mobile number for contact is +44 784****** if req'd

The response from the property was prompt and comprehensive, and included the promise that we would be upgraded to separate accommodation (one of the family chalets, I'm guessing) if available, and additionally that the 10% tripadvisor discount would be honoured...both of which we were very grateful for, and impressed by. We subsequently exchanged several emails sorting out the excursions we wanted and other details (more of which later).

When we arrived, we were greeted by a smiling Donald (a staff member who proved willing and helpful throughout our stay). Then we met Archie. Archie told us that he had no idea that we were a mother and son party and consequently had put us in the bridal suite! He begged our indulgence for a 30 minute delay whilst appropriate accommodation was organized and invited us to a welcome drink in their lounge, which I should mentioned has very pleasant panoramic views over the local orchards and farmland. I had a glass of red wine and my Mother a coffee. Normally I wouldn't mention such a detail, except that this welcome drink, which we had to take due to the properties' own admin error WAS CHARGED ON OUR BILL ON DEPARTURE! In 39 years of travelling al over the globe, I have never been charged for a 'welcome drink' and certainly not under these circumstances.

At length our accommodation was ready. We were still in the bridal suite, with beds touching each other but now with separate bedding. We were tired and though not ideal we moved in.

That evening the local area suffered a power cut so under very difficult circumstances our hosts did their very best to accommodate the guests that had elected to dine there. I was looking forward to the canapes on the terrace before dinner and was somewhat disappointed to learn that this meant crisps, pretzels and peanuts. To be fair I don't know if this was related to the power cut, but crisps and peanuts are NOT canapes. The food was disappointing but allowances should be made for the lack of power.

The rooms were spacious and well furnished and had the weather been better I would have loved to make use of the outside shower. Since the weather was somewhat cold, the electric blanket was a very welcome, and pleasant surprise.

After a good sleep, the breakfast was excellent, with fresh fruits, coffee/ tea and juices, and a wide choice of cooked breakfasts (certainly amongst the best breakfasts we enjoyed in our 2 week trip).

We took various trips whilst at Hitgeheim and 2 stand out for particular praise. Firstly, the guided tour of Addo with one of Hitgeheim's guides...this was excellent, we were aware that self drive was possible through the park but the local knowledge and extensive insights of our Hitgeheim guide in to the local flora and fauna made this trip a delight. The second trip we'd like to recommend is the schotia 'tooth and claw' safari... I have been forunate enough to go on safari in Keyna, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Bostwana as well as some high end camps in SA...the schotia trip ranked amongst the best of them. Seeing a lion and his 2 lionesses on a kill after our evening dinner was truly magical.... this trip highly recommended.

Finally, one small niggle was the transport to various trips offered by Hitgeheim. On one particular day we did 2 trips (each of which includes return transport to Hitgeheim). I understood that for logistic purposes it made sense for us to stay out for the whole day (requiring only 1 set of transports.....1 out and 1 back). It was with some surprise that I noticed the R900 charge for return transport to the Scotia safari. At this point I really have to say something: the literature (written by Hitgeheim) makes it clear that the roads accessing the Scotia safari are somewhat dangerous and should not be attempted by the inexperienced, especially at night. Proving this point, our journey back to HItgeheim after the Scotia safari, was taken through the middle of Addo Park, for sure a road we would not have wished to drive in our road vehicle. We did feel somewhat mislead, however, when our tip the following day to the Amakhala safari, took us right past the Schotia reception on a route which albeit a little longer had been entirely on tarred roads. Poor show Hitgeheim :(

I queried this last point (the R900) on my bill at departure and Archie in the best traditions of excellent customer service offered to remove the item from the bill.

The part I really did not appreciate was his insinuation that I was querying the charge due to my inability to pay the bill, this I found insulting and left a very sour taste.

That aside, I have tried to write and very fair and honest review (my first ever). I hope it will assist both future travellers, and Archie and his team.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Addo123, Owner at Hitgeheim Country Lodge, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
This is the kind of review I enjoy and therefore it triggers more than just a thank you. To have and to share Hitgeheim Country Lodge is an honor and privilege of our family and staff. With all the good things The Son and His Mother said about us, He should have rated us 6 out of 5. ;-)))
Me, and nobody else did the upgrade from what (“Chalet 5 please. Mother and son”) to the best of all rooms. I just missed the section Mother and Son on the morning I did the upgrade. I announced this on arrival and tendered my apology and I admitted that in trying to do well, I stuffed up the entire situation. We were full and I could not correct in any other way, besides to make the king bed into two singles. Normally we do this in nothing more than ten minutes but because this being the honeymoon suite I had to change mattresses, fetching these at my house which is also more than just a stone throw. My apologies, this was my mistake and we tried our best.
When things go wrong with a booking it never stop, all drinks are written on the bar slips and come to the office, for stock control. I do the accounts and normally delete the complimentary drinks. I hardly ever go away but this time it was prebooked to attend a bull sale in Natal. Kaye is just as capable but does it to the rule and is not allowed to delete or throw away any slip. She did the account the evening before checkout and poor Fabian, Our Chef, which is also trained to do the checkout had to do it. I should have phoned and checked as I normally do, but did not and my mistake again. My apology you should not have paid for your complimentary drink.
Having a full lodge with kids in all the rooms is normally great fun and we handle this with ease, but not when there is a power failure. Fathers coming down your neck with kids that cannot bath. Irritated by upset mothers because the hairdryer do not work, me being on the phone giving the electrical supply company hell to sort out their supply lead to another Murphy’s Law on the same booking. Food rushed and not up to standard. This is not the rule, nor the power supply, nor the food. Bad Luck for both, us and the Mother and Son. My apology again but under these extraordinary circumstances I think we did well.
I am so happy the gentleman mention the transport. Allow me the space and everyone’s time to explain this. We do this purely as a service to our guests and secondly for our own sanity. There are very few, if any of the B&B’s in the area where the owner and a staff member wait for all their guests to be safely in bed with either hot chocolate or lemon syrup in their rooms, coming back from a night safari. We do, and 95% of the time I am there to do just this. We just had too many cases where the guests miss the turnoffs and we need to go and fetch them where they ran out of fuel or got petrified because of all the animals and people on the road. I do not want to hear the complains in the mornings, I rather be part of the best service and correct advice.
When guest do the Addo Schotia combination we stay in Addo, spending more time and doing double the kilometers to introduce and show the new Southern section. We then leave the Park via a side gate to be in time for Schotia to start their Tooth and Claw Safari at 15h00. The guide then comes home to the Lodge. We then leave again with a big 4x4 Toyota Land Cruiser driving on as what was correctly described (for sure a road we would not have wished to drive in our road vehicle)This is 32km and the longer paved road is 78km. I can assure you and most of my guests enjoy getting home after the night safari as soon as possible. If and when we do the longer paved road most of my guest fall asleep and find it very boring, but all enjoy the drive back via the Park. We sometimes have awesome encounter on this return, if not in the Park then with me on the runway with the springhare. I would easily stop doing this service because I do not make a single sent out of this. Fuel, tires Suspension maintenance driving on these roads are just too costly. I know upped the rate by R50 to R500.
The reviewer is correct that we went past Schotia on our way to Amakhala. He mentioned the weather was not good and it rained. Again for his own safety we went on the much longer paved road to Amakhala. We normal go on the 13 km gravel road past Shamwari, Saving us nearly 30 km and a 65 km shorter road. Again IU took the loss in trying rendering service excellence and safety first.
We are very happy with recommending our transfer services and see this safety procedure as extremely good value for money. No other B&B does it and if asked for, it is outsourced to mainly a driver without the licenses, insurances and roadworthiness we have to adhere to.
The last issue (I was querying the charge due to my inability to pay the bill),. I doubt if this is true and as a people’s person and lover-peacemaker, never a fighter, it is not my style to insult you or anybody. I beg to differ and being the least, if it was misunderstood in any way, my apology. I was on the phone with you and Fabian and kindly instructed to cancel the transfer fee.
I thank you all in reading this far; we at Hitgeheim will always try our best. Many years ago when we started this, my tutor made me understand that you cannot always please everyone every time.
I thank you and Warm Regards
Archie
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at Hitgeheim Country Lodge for 2 days. The reception was warm and friendly. We were offered tea while waiting for our booking to be finalised. Our room with an outside shower was awesome. The views breathtaking and we watch the sunset from our bathroom patio. A special thanks to Richard and Kay who treated us like royalty. Breakfast and dinner, were tasty and presented with flair. We stayed at Hitgeheim with the idea to restore our energy, and we came back rejuvenated. Archie and Marietjie are outstanding hosts. Thankyou and your staff. We also fell in love with Bella, Marietjie"s 7 months old Great Dane. Please give Bella a hug on our behalf. We hope to see you again soon !!!! Pieter and Christa Mouton

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Right from the start I knew this was the right place. Archie's friendly replies to my emails immediately stood out miles above the rest and had a personal touch you won't get from anyone else.

I came back from a month long business trip and needed a romantic and relaxing weekend with the wife. The place is perfect. Very quiet, natural and smack bang in the middle of nowhere. Perfect for a little R&R.

Service is very good and friendly. Staff are not even allowed mobile phones while working, it is just that peaceful. Archie even gave us money from his own wallet to go and buy cigarettes, where have you ever seen something like that?

If you go, please just allow Archie to do everything for you. He booked us a safari through Addo where we saw everything close up from lions to elephants. The best thing was however the elephant rides he got for us. A little private plane picked us up at the on site runway and took us into the mountains. The landing strip was just like in the movies and even had a giraffe lying casually on the runway as we came in for the landing. Elephant riding might not be the most comfortable thing you will ever do, but one of the ultimate must have experiences.

Food and wine is more than enough and very good. We brought some of our own wines with, but took it home again, as what they have is all you need.

I can actually write a book about the short time we spent there if I have to go into the details, but that would be cheating. Just do yourself the favour and go.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Met by fabulous friendly staff at truly breathtaking location.Dined like roman royalty on deck with endless views melting into the African distance. Entertained by genuinely warm Archie and his lovely wife Marietjie ,the most engaging owner couple. The rooms have a game lodge luxury feel, soft percale quality linens, plush carpets,full minibar . Rooms private but not isolated.
Honestly?- I'd go back every holiday if I could...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Cape Town Fish Hoek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

when we arrived we were so impressed with the staff and the surroundings and the superior room with that bath was superb, we are just sorry that we did not have the time to take a walk around the estate.We have deceided that we shall definatly return next year

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Hitgeheim Country Lodge? Share your experiences!