“Paradise!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rarotonga Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arorangi
Rarotonga Backpackers
You added Rarotonga Backpackers to your Saves list
PO Box 3103, Arorangi, Cook Islands   |
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

One of my good friends recommended I visit the Cook Island and Rarotonga Backpackers after he had visited a few months earlier, I have stayed in a number of hotels and backpackers on my travels and this is one of the best places I have stayed in, Clean, friendly staff and a incredible location, we stayed in one of the beach huts and the water was a mere 20 feet from the door.
Overall I had an amazing time and would not hesitiate to recommend this backpackers to anybody thinking about visiting the island.

Room Tip: Choose the beach hut if it is available - AMAZING!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My second time at the Raro Backpackers and it is the perfect holiday! I stayed two years ago with friends when traveling and loved it so much I decided my now wife had to see Rarotonga. The backpackers is far from budget in fact after staying all over the world this would be in my top 5 places to be. It is clean, staff are friendly and after meeting Paul (the owner) I can see why as he helped with everything!!!!
I was disappointed to read comments from people who obviously use trip adviser for personal grievances rather than as a forum for other travelers. I work in hospitality and I suppose those people do exist but the are a minority and figure they wouldn't be happy with the Hilton either. Blame someone else for stubbing their toe....anyway loved it and will be back. If I win lotto it will be sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Beach Front Bungalows 5* lifestyle!
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Rarotonga Backpackers for 6 nights in a Beach Hut. This was our second visit and It was perfect, clean and exactly as it was described on the web site. The huts and simple but everything you need is there. I believe from reading other posts on Trip Advisor and reading the signs around the Backpackers, that theft is a problem on the Island, however as when you travel to any country, common sense should prevail and I was impressed that Rarotonga Backpackers seemed to have done as much as they can to ensure safety with security screens, safes and signs to inform their guests. We had no problems and didn't hear any other guests complaining, infact all the other quests we spoke too seemed very happy as well. Paul and Dernice, who are in the office, informed of safety as well as being very helpful with other local information and booking my transfers. The view from the room is lovely and great value for money, its behind the beach front units which are on tall poles and I could therefore see thru to the water from my hut. The beach is lovely with sun loungers and hammocks to relax in. The lagoon is not great for swimming however if you walk a few 100m down there is a lovely swimming spot, or as I did, hire a scooter (a great way to explore the island, 45min round trip) there are some lovely swimming and snorkeling spots around the south side of the Island. One of my favorites was a spot just past The Rarotongan Beach Resort.
Overall I would definitely recommend staying at Rarotonga Backpackers and we cant wait to come back again, it was a lovely way to end my 6 months of traveling.

Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Hi,
We had a lovely time here. The accommodation was clean and tidy and so spacious. Beach front was great for a swim. I would highly recommend!!! Great place for a good price!!! Fantastic house for families!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

After deciding we needed a cheap holiday we booked a ensuite room at Rarotonga Backpackers, and are pleased we did. They picked us up free of charge and in the middle of night, not many places in the world do that now days!!!! The room was spacious, clean and screened. No air-con, but a fan and for the price is all we would expect and actually all we needed. The beach is great however snorkling is better a short walk along the beach as quite shallow in front of the backpackers. We spent most of our time swimming in the backpackers pool as you can see the beach from the pool area and has loungers around the pool. Throughly enjoyed our stay here and the hospitallity of their staff. Next time we will save a bit more money and up-grade to the Beach Front units, we had a look through them, and they are lovely with private decks overlooking the sea. Sunsets are amazing from this location.
Will definately rebook here as was value for money compared to other places we looked at.
Happy New Zealanders

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Bad location - it is very far from any place to eat or to swim.. The room was extremely basic and could be cleaner. Bathroom wasn't great. It smelled awfully damp. Wifi wasn't working in my room. Bad service - I booked a transfer to hotel from the airport, they didn't show up on time. Wouldn't like to stay there for more than one night. I can't recommend to anybody.

• Stayed December 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Room was small and very dirty! Dirty sheets, towels. I found bugs in my bed and I couldn't sleep. In bathroom when I opened the tap, water was coming out as a fountain. I tried to stop the leak but that doesn't work. Only good thing was the price for room- it's lower then you can find in other places, but it should be much lower because of all these problems. In next time I'll pay more and will find another place. Rarotonga Backpackers is by far the worst place I have ever visited.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Rarotonga Backpackers? Share your experiences!