“Clean Rooms & Friendly Staff in Paradise!” 4 of 5 stars

Puaikura Reef Lodges
3.0 of 5 Villa   |   P o Box 922 | Kavera, Arorangi 00000, Cook Islands   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Auckland
“Clean Rooms & Friendly Staff in Paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We travelled as a couple and stayed four nights at the Puaikura Reef Lodges.

We stayed in room 7 - opposite the pool. We were very happy with the cleanliness of the room; spotless really! Seeing as there were only two of us - we had pleanty of room (two extra single beds were not used in the living room). The rooms were physically up -to-date; only the shower seemed a little run down - but it didn't worry us in the slightest.

The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly and helped us with booking anything we needed - this truely made our trip that much more enjoyable.

Location: GREAT! You are situated just across the road from a beautiful beach and there is also a small food shop/gas station/takeaways right next door to the lodges - which is a huge positive.

This accommodation definately has a 'family atmosphere' - and would be great for those travelling in a group. We enjoyed interacting with the other guests/travellers - but keep in mind that if you are looking for a less 'busy' style of accommodation, this may not be your cup of tea.

Overall we found this accommodation to be of a high standard, with cleanliness, location and staff being our main highlight of the overall rating.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 7 - Opposite pool; great room! No aircon
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Rarotonga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

In the past we were having to book all over the place for new teachers, comes to orientation, it was a hassle having to pick everyone up from different locations. The main reason for this was to cater for the different size families. With Puaikura Reef Lodges they could cater from singles, to couples and couples with kids from 1 child to 4 children. This was great! The pool was great value even with beach right across the road, it was much safer for the kids. The outside dining area provided us with an excellent orientation area for our teachers and we didn't need to transport them to the Ministry. Having teachers at one place gave them a chance to get to know one another which allowed them also to share meals over in the bbq area. Although there was lots of booking adjustments before our teachers arrived, the office lady Lotu Vea was so accommodating and provided a consistant service with a smile everytime we had to make changes, a value that's rare. Thank you Puaikura Reef Lodges for making the first few days for our new teachers an enjoyable one, as well as provided us the Ministry of Education an easier and more convenient location/accommodation to welcome our new teachers.

Meitaki Maata

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was my first trip to Rarotonga.I had no preconceived idea of the place apart for some of my Cook Island friends saying I picked a good location on the island. From the pick up at the airport till the drop off at the end of the stay it all went smoothly. The transfer lady was really nice and friendly and as my stay went on I found the staff from the cleaners to the gardener very friendly and attentive.The office lady Lotu was amazing and booked things for me without a hassle and was generally very charming.
There is some good snorkeling to be had across the road and you can hire dive gear and snorkeling gear.Also next door is a convenience store and a nice little takeaway joint where i got a really nice fish burger.The buses also go from here. if you want a short trip to town I would get the clockwise bus otherwise, for a nice leisurely sight seeing trip i would take the longer anti clockwise bus.This was a good way to meet locals too.
I had no issue being further away from town and personally enjoyed having self contained units where i could buy my own stuff and make my own meals should i want to.It was all about living like a local.I do recommend getting your own mode of transport eventually.I found the room fine for me.It was large and had all i needed.it came with two stand alone fans and one in the bedroom which was priceless to have as the nights got really warm.All the windows had screening so no issues with insect but there were one or two geckos, but i found them more entertaining then a pest.I did not use the security box as it was really just a wooden box on a wall.My one gripe was that the road was near and it could get a bit loud. Also with the shops next door and the takeaway, you could sometimes here the locals and customers and this made it hard to get to sleep.
The cleaners did a grande job keeping the place clean and they would always ask I wanted the room made up.sometimes I said no, but most of the time they would do it.For me Puiakura Reef Lodges was perfect and its a credit to the owners and their team of workers that make this place a relaxing place to be.The locals were most friendly and welcoming.Just be aware that they really do "island time" here and if you have a pick up for an event or something, sometimes they may be 5 or so minutes late.That's just the way it is here but in the end,you're on holiday so enjoy!Would highly recommend the place tough.

Room Tip: I had unit 7 which was very good. All the windows were meshed and there were enough fans to keep any...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went to Rarotonga recently for a ten day solo venture, & chose to stay at Puiakura Reef Lodges. Couldn't have picked a more pleasant place to stay. It's a great location, as far away from Avarua as possible, and right across from the beach near the dive shop on the south west side of the Island. I was greeted by a radiant beauty at the front desk named Lotu, and the rest is history...lol love you lotu<3

The only real gripes I have are simple small fixes. I didn't like that there were no window screens, but as a previous reviewer said the insects weren't as bad as expected. The airport transfers were a little pricey to me. I didn't feel I should have to wash my own dishes, or get my own filtered water... But then again maybe i'm just too used to that american hotel service.

Everything here is pretty clean, the grounds are well maintained, it's quiet at night, no shortage of hot water (even though it's solar powered!) you will not find a friendlier spot on the island, and please dismiss any preconceived notion that the islanders aren't friendly! I had a great stay here overall, and highly recommend it even for solo travelers such as myself.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Once again back at our favourite spot. Excellent team of workers that keep the place Spick and span. A little bird tells us the Puaikura could be in for a refurbishment later in 2013 or close to. A great friendly place to stay, nothing any problem, good to see the team still working and smiling. Yes the roosters are still there but this is Raro, part of the fun. Highly recommended for a good relaxing break. keep up the good work.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Whangarei, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

It's like returning home, we have been back many times. from the time we were picked up at the airport till the times we left the staff couldn't have been more helpful. the "U" shaped layout of the units and the pool in the middle lends itself to allow you to meet your fellow holiday makers from around the world. Over the years we have meet and made friends with some of these. No pressure to do anything just what you want to do. Lotu your the best, nothing was a problem, Sue and Tom sure now how to pick staff, the rest of the team from the room staff to the groundsman make this a most relaxing stay. You can make you ron meals in the room or use the BBQ by the pool. If you want, across the road is the lagoon again safe for you to snorkel. Lotu we are coming back, see you soon.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We arrived back in NZ today, thanks once again to Lotu and staff for just being you. As per usual, had a great time, very peaceful watching the rain come down. Great staff and amenities, very clean and neat. Just thanks, We just loved it.

Room Tip: On poolside, any of them are just fine, very happy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Puaikura Reef Lodges? Share your experiences!