I recently stayed at The Edgewater Resort & Spa with 3 other family members. I had never been to Rarotonga before, but based on my Flight Centre agent Claire's recommendation was assured that it would tick all the boxes for a relaxing 'Girls Only' mid Winter break where we could simply land at a nice tropical island only 31/2 hours from Auckland and be at our nice resort/spa accommodation within 20 mins of arriving. She was so right! We got a special deal on one of their recently refurbished garden villas, which included 3 bedrooms including en-suite and an open plan kitchen, lounge and dining room. This also included a back deck (very nice for drinks in the evening) and a front porch for enjoying the morning 'traffic' mostly chooks.
Breakfast was included with our deal and while busy we all managed to find spoons and bowls when needed. The selection included a wonderful selection of seasonal fruit, cereals, breads including a yummy fruit bread and a very nice porridge and juices. A cooked breakfast menu was also available at an extra cost.
I also tried lunch at the resort and the raw fish salad is wonderful as are the island chips.
People did recommend going to Muri beach for snorkling, but while scenic I found the snorkling at The Edgewater to be great and the fish are very friendly because they get fed regularly by the guests.
Some hints include -
Water booster switch. They use solar power in the islands so you do need to use the switch on cloudy winter days. This is usually a dial on the wall by the meter box. This produces endless hot water.
Ear plugs - They grow on you eventually, but roosters and the islands go hand in hand. Use your ear plugs or just go with the flow and Island time and sleep in.
Reef shoes - coral cuts and there are also stone fish which sting. Wear your reef shoes when in the sea. I preferred my Tevas as these being strappy dried out quickly.
Snorkle gear - The free/shared gear is often cheap with poor seals. Take your own with flippers for endless snorkling time you wont regret it.
Relax - the best thing about Rarotonga is that the locals are friendly and the place is relaxed and unpretentious.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The perfect choice for your family holiday, dream wedding or indulgent Cook Islands honeymoon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Edgewater Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Edgewater Resort And Spa
- The Edgewater Hotel Arorangi
- Edgewater Hotel Arorangi
- Edgewater Resort Arorangi
- Edgewater Rarotonga
- Edgewater Resort Rarotonga
- The Edgewater Resort & Spa Rarotonga, Cook Islands