“Incomparable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lonesome Cove Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Juan Island
Lonesome Cove Resort
You added Lonesome Cove Resort to your Saves list
416 Lonesome Cove Road, San Juan Island, WA 98250   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in San Juan Island
“Incomparable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My family has been returning off an on to this extraordinary place for 27 years. I adore it. If fact, I adore it so much I don't necessarily want to rave as much as I will, however, do, because part of me really wants to keep this marvelous, magical place a secret. However, I'll share with you because I want other generations of families to experience the same beauty that we have. Our children--now grown--have spent part of every summer here, and no doubt my nostalgia for their childhood is part of its appeal, but only a small part. The resort is made up of five vintage cabins on a piece of unparalleled real estate with spectacular views overlooking Speiden Channel in Puget Sound. Nothing but the quiet lapping of the tides breaks the deep silence of the night, and during the day only the thrum of boats making their way to nearby Roche Harbor give any hint of civilization. Simply put, this is a place to restore your soul, create family memories, and commune with the whales, seals, sea otters, deer, eagles, kingfishers, etc. that roam the waters and the grounds. Karl and Kim are welcoming, helpful, and work hard to keep the place in tip-top shape. Clean, comfortable and well-stocked, the cabins are a throwback to a simpler time. I would live there if I could. There. Now I've gone and done it. It's going to be even harder to get a reservation at Lonesome Cove now. But you'll thank me.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Visited by boat and the Owner's were very accommodating and maintain a nice dock complete with fenders. No stuffiness here. the Owners Kim and Karl live right on the property and you'll feel like your visiting old friends rather than going to a resort. They went out of their way to tell us of places to visit. Cabins were rustic and unique, very cozy with small kitchens and fireplaces. Stunning views with Eagles flying right out the door. During our stay the Orca's even swam by not 300 yds from the shore. Very scenic and quiet no TV's etc. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: All the cabins have great views and are pretty much the same. You'll like them if you like a tru...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lynnwood, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We could not have chosen a better place to celebrate our anniversary! The resort is everything you would think of in a secluded romantic island setting. The wine from the local winery is fantastic and goes very well with the view from the deck.The boathouse is a warm and comfortable home away from home. We loved having a fire in the evening and quiet time with each other. Mornings we shared with the otters and eagles as well as a company of seagulls. We were lucky to have a group of Steller sea lions staying across the way; they were a partying group! Kim and Karl confirmed with us that McMillan's restaurant in Roche Harbor was the place to enjoy our celebratory dinner and they were right! We want to thank Kim and Karl for making it feel tike we were not paying guests but friends or family staying in their home.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

My brother and I stayed in the Boathouse in late October while on the hunt to see whales. The cabin was very cozy and actually hung out over the water. We woke to a beautiful sunrise and were able to enjoy our coffee and look out upon all sorts of animals out on the seascape.

The owners, Kim and Karl Bruder were kind and charming.

The ability to be "unplugged" and relax without media interruptions was very restful.
Right near the boathouse is a lovely library full of books and other interesting things.
There is a nice comfortable full sized bed in the back and my brother noted that the futon inthe front room was "a good one."

We hope to return again someday.

Room Tip: All cabins have a lovely water view, but we really enjoyed hanging out over the water in the Boathou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SeaTac, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This year we stayed in the Boathouse (formerly referred to as the Net Loft). It is cozy and perfect for a couple on their own. Right out over the water with a great view (all cabins have a marvelous view) toward Spieden Island. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the deck for coffee in the morning and a glass of great San Juan wine in the evening. Comfortable bed, nice window seat for reading - a great visit. Back again next year!

Room Tip: If you have a group of six, take the San Juan cabin; for just two the Boathouse is ideal. During the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was an amazing experience! It was our 10th wedding anniversary and we wanted to stay somewhere off the beaten path without any electronic interruptions that would force us to be cell phone and laptop free. This did it. The couple running the place were very accommodating and really sweet. You can tell they have pride in their destination and they should! It is perfect. The size is idea with only a few cabins. I have a feeling this will be a family favorite for years to come!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in the Net Loft over Memorial Day weekend. The loft was clean and the view was wonderful. I liked that the loft was away from the cabins, so it was like you had your own waterfront property. Each morning we would walk down to the water at low tide and explore the tide pools. That was so fun and a great teaching experience for my daughter. This isn't really a place for kids as it is more of a quiet retreat. It wasn't a problem for us as we only have 1 child but I could see how guests would be annoyed at loud playing children.

The library was great. I didn't see too much of the caretakers, but I knew I could contact them if I needed them. The property is on the other side of the island and there isn't anything nearby. You will need a car to stay here. The sunsets are wonderful to watch from the pier and a cute harbor seal hangs out at the pier after 10 PM.

Here are a few cons of the net loft: The frying pans are in poor condition. The non-stick ones were scratched and the other ones were very old and pretty gross aluminum pans. I would bring my own frying pan next time. The paper towels provided were very cheap and shredded with use. We went out to the store to buy our own. We chose the net loft because the bedroom was separate from the living room space, which we thought was ideal. When you have a kid that goes to bed two hours earlier than you do, having a separate room is a must. But, there are no doors so you weren't able to dampen the sound coming from the other room. Also, the door on the bathroom is just a folding wooden "screen". There is no privacy at all in the bathroom as you can see and hear everything in the bathroom when you are in the bedroom. I am not trying to be negative, I just want to inform you. I am a total germ-phobe, so I always rely on reviews. The loft, although old, was clean. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lonesome Cove Resort? Share your experiences!