“You can't please all of the people all of the time.” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Pub, Pizza & Pasta, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Gastro Pub and Restaurant situated right in the heart of Cheshire just 10 minutes from Chester and close to some of Cheshire's best loved attractions such as Delamere Forest, Chester Zoo, The Blue Planet Aquarium and Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet. Our Head Chef prides himself on using the freshest local ingredients and the front of house staff provides quality and friendly service to create the perfect dining experience. We offer fantastic food, served with fine wines and real local ales. The Royal Oak Hotel and Restaurant is the perfect place for 'destination' dining, relaxed drinking and special occasions. Why not try a fresh Pizza made in an authentic wood burning Pizza oven? We also offer Free WiFi The Royal Oak was originally built in 1822 as an inn and public house. Since then the building has been a station for a railway that never happened, a bowling green and billiards room. There was an extensive redevelopment in 2011 and The Royal Oak was restored to its former glory and became a wonderful dining establishment once again. The team at The Royal Oak are committed to showcasing the produce of Cheshire and the kitchen use the highest quality fresh local produce to create a daily changing menu which consists of hearty British fare. Whether it be braised lamb shank or pan roast bream, you are sure to find something to whet your appetite. The dining room has a relaxed atmosphere, further enhanced by comfortable decor and charming staff who provide exceptional service. If you have one too many tipples to accompany your meal, there are 12 delightful bedrooms where you can rest your head.Experience The Royal Oak and enjoy fabulous food and impeccable hospitality.
Chester, United Kingdom
“You can't please all of the people all of the time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I are regulars at the Royal Oak in Kelsall and rate the food and service higher than other similar establishments in the surrounding areas. We still enjoy the Goshawk and Stamford Bridge, but default to the Oak due to the inspiring menu and brilliant food, as well as the courteous and friendly staff. Having read through some recent reviews however, It appears that you can't please all of the poeple all of the time. I obviously can't comment on all the the reviews but I can comment on Sarah M from Cardiff who wrote a most vitrioloc review about the owner and having been in the pub on a previoous occasion that she casued trouble, I feel that a balancing and impartial comment needs to be made about it. I have seen her there twice when I have been there.

On the occasion in mind, she appeared to be on a mission to either cause trouble or try to swing a free meal. She certainly had no grounds for her complaints and it is my view that she has a personal grudge against the owner because he defends his staff from agressive and rude behaviour.

Well Mr Owner, you have our vote and our custom, as I understand from the staff that Sara M was invited not to revisit the Oak.

“New year delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wanted to say thanks to all the staff at Royal Oak Kelsall, after the best New Year's Eve I've ever had. It was a last minute choice after a few more friends decided to join us so went out instead of staying in. What a brilliant night, great food, fantastic atmosphere, met so many nice people, the staff were so welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. Brilliant!

Walsall, United Kingdom
“exhausted mother”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

we have probably all seen the advert for the well known supermarket on tv this xmas. i think it was written for me, and many others.but not this year took my brood to the royal oak for our christmas day family lunch.what a truly delightful day. lunch was superb and piping hot, washed down with the finest of wines. we would like to thank the proprietor and all the staff for all their hard work ensuring our day exceeded all our expectations.happy new year! ps sorry for late review didn't entirely escape the kitchen.

“New Years Eve Buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My wife and I spent New Years Eve at The Royal Oak and had a terrific time. The buffet was second to none with a good choice of fish, meats and trimmings, the management and staff were just terrific. had such a good time that when i reached home realised that I forgoten to pay the bill (which will be paid later).
We also had Christmas lunch there which was excellent value for money, the food was excellent and a real Christmassy atmosphere. We were there last Christmas and New Year and will most probably be there again next year. The Royal Oak has been transformed over the years from a normal village pub into a restaurant where one can relax and have a good value meal in wonderful surroundings. Well reccommended. Graham B

Chester, United Kingdom
“Great night out in little Kelsall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is the first time I have ever decided to write a review about a restaurant, allbeit a restaurant in a pub, but it was such a great experience, I wanted to share it and let everyone local to the area understand that there is a real gem in the village. I am local to the Royal Oak and seen it change hands over the years with limited success. Right now, however, it is the best it has ever been by a country mile.I went there with my partner and a couple of friends this week and had one of the best meals I've ever had, and that includes eating at the Ivy and lots of top restaurants over the years. It was such a pleasant surprise to find this quality so close to home. The food was stunning!! Soft shell crab to start was fantastic followed by beautifully a prepared lamb dish. All of us commented on just how good the service, food and atmosphere was, the place was really busy too. They also have a proper pizzeria in there with an authentic, wood burning pizza oven - great. I would totally recommend it and will certainly be visiting The Royal Oak again very soon.