“Very disspointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Son
Oslo
“Very disspointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We spent a weekend at Quality Resort and Spa Son in. We had previously been to Farris Bad in Larvik, which is a very elegant resort. Unfortunately, Son was a huge disspointment.
The rooms were very poorly designed, the materials were very cold and bland . The beds were tiny, 70cm wide. The bathrooms were very sterile with boring cheap materials. There were no skin care products in the bathroom, just a dispenser in the shower, similar to public restrooms.

The restaurant was ok, but very conference oriented-there was always a huge trolley with dirty disher in the middle of the restaurant. The restaurant staff were unprofessional- they didn't even know the menu, which consisted of 4 dishes. The food was very good though.
Breakfast was boring and very standard/budget.

The Spa was nice, but full of extremly loud conference guests. The staff did nothing after we'd complained. A spa is supposed to be quiet and relaxing.
In a spa you would also expect all saunas and steam rooms to be working during opening hours. This was not the case. Half an hour after opening, the lights were still not on and the saunas were cold. We did facials, they were very good.

All in all very dissaponting, go to FARRIS BAD instead!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband brought me to this hotel by surprice on my birthday yesterday.
I had a massage wich was GREAT (understatement), I´ve not been of my pink cloud since to be honest. We had an a amazing dinner, the service was great and the food delicius! We misunderstood the timing of the breakfast so we came 20 min to late. The servant asked with a smile on her face if she could prepare breakfast specially for us that we gladly accepted surpriced with all the flexibility and service orientation, really exceeding our expectations!

We highly reccomend this hotel in every way :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I visited the hotel last week on business and think the hotel is only so-so. It doesn't feel like an exclusive spa hotel, due to the many business visitors and because there's a big emphasis on the spa section, it doesn't quite feel like a business hotel either. It seems that they couldn't quite make up there minds about how to brand this hotel.

The meeting rooms were small and cramped, the loud speakers in the ceiling omitted a very loud noise and the lecturer had to turn it down between us watching films. When you watch films for 2 days straight, it gets kind of exhausting.

The food was good, but I experienced some mild discomfort after lunch one day. They're also slow serving it. The desserts were not good, (too sweet,) but the main courses tasted good. The service is slow, so you'll spend half your lunch hour on waiting for the food. The breakfast was a disappointment, lacking quality and selection.

The room was okay, but it was loud between the rooms. I heard the neighbor's baby throughout the night and I didn't appreciate it. I also felt that it was a waste to have a small desk behind the bed as it looked strange. There was a lack of attention to detail too. There was a big candle light holder, that was a bit dirty with old candle wax but no candle etc.etc. The bathroom was the biggest disappointment lacking everything except for a soap disponser in the shower. It looked very empty. I know it's supposed to be an environmentally friendly hotel, but the bathroom felt empty and sad without any products.

The spa area is nice, it's big however the main pool isn't great for swimming because of some big columns that are put up for decoration. The outdoor jacuzzi is nice, but the indoor one is too cold. There were also a few features I didn't really understand but that looked nice. The changing rooms were also too small and the gym area was tiny. I wasn't happy working out there. I tried a yoga class that was very nice, the instructor was very professional and took her time correcting us, helping us ease in to the positions better, which was nice.

All in all I feel that the hotel has potential but they have to decide whether they want to be a hotel for business or for relaxation.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed five nights at this hotel in connection with a job seminar. The hotel is located in a nice coastal area and there are only five minutes to walk to Son “downtown” with all its beautiful and old wooden houses.

If I only consider rooms or conference facilities, I will give the hotel a high score. But it is definitely something missing at the service level. I stay a lot in Asian hotels and it's a bit of a transition when you come to a Norwegian hotel service-wise. They do not welcome you in any specific way and they do not say goodbye. When you ask for toothpaste in the reception area, they will charge you NOK 25 for the smallest tube I have ever seen. Why not give it away for free? Two small bottles of beer costing NOK 128, but I guess that has to do with the Norwegian cost level. During lunch and dinner food was often served very late and sometimes we had to sit and wait 20-30 minutes between the appetizer and main course. When I checked out I had to pay for an extra night because the staff said that this was agreed with my company. This turned out to be a misunderstanding and I had to spend some unnecessary time to get the money refunded. I did not try the spa facility, but many of my colleagues did and they were very happy (as long as you go for what is included in the room your price).

The conclusion is that it is a really beautiful hotel, the food was amazing, but something missing on the service attitude.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Had a wonderful and flawless stay one year ago, and therefore had great hopes when returning. On booking (2 weeks in advance), a specific time was requested for treatment. This was confirmed on phone. However, when checking the day before arrieval, the treatment was suddenly 3 hours later. On check in, no-one in reception. We waited and waited and waited... After 15 minutes, the receptionst turned up, no smile, no welcome. How about a bell, so we could let him know we were there? The twin bedded room was large and airy with modern Scandinavian decor. Beautiful view! However, no fridge or coffe / tea making facilities. Handicap adapted room with plenty of space for wheelchair. Great plus! The spa area is great as always (The Son Magic Circle may still be recommended, and the hot stone massage was heavenly!). The pool area states that only people aged 16 and over are admitted, but plenty of kids in the pool. At dinnertime, we headed for the restaurant. Having not booked a table, we did not feel overly welcome. The restaurant was half empty, and still it took 15 minutes to prepare a table for us. The food was great though! Trying for an after-dinner drink, we pitied the barman, who was very capable but was unable to make our drinks (Mojito, Strawberry Daquiri and one other) due to depleted stock... Breakfast great, and check-out was flawless. One other matter: Online booking is not possible, and it took more than 24 hours for them to respond to mail. Not quite 2011. All in all: Not as good as a year ago. Facilities are great, but the service is somewhat not quite "there". Unfortunately.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My wife and I had our wedding dinner at this hotel, and we were very impressed. The staff were very friendly and professional, the food was great, and the location right next to the sea is just magnificent.

The room itself, a suite, was large and modern, with a balcony with great view of the sea. The only negative was the lack of AC, which meant that the room became rather hot.

We did not use the spa facilities, but several of our guests did and were very satisfied.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for two days, and it is really i beautiful place. The location just by the sea is magnificent, the rooms are big and trendy, the big outdor square in front of the hotel is perfect. The breakfast is excellent, the spa is great, and its a lot of indoor, secure parking. The room key "datachip" is really neat, and the staff is friendly, casual and nice. The hotel is very clean, and internet is free and fast (but with some port restrictions)

My main problem with this place, and the reason why I just give it 3 points, is that the indoor climate in the rooms and conference areas is absolutely terrible. The rooms have no AC, and our rooms have absolutely no air circulations, and the windows couldnt be opened. Yes, Norway is usualy a cold place - but in Son at summer there can be rather hot. It was almost impossible to sleep, and I had to take a shower in the middle of the night to keep cool. In the conference hall the air flow was weak as well, and water was dripping from the ceiling due to condensation.

I really cant understand that a hotel in this class dont take things like this seriously, and everyone in my group complained about the air flow.

The hotel is quite expensive, and for this price you expect things like a minibar, and soaps and stuff in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Make sure that you can open the windows