“Sets Low Standards and Fails to meet them.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport

Save Saved
You added Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport to your Saves list
Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mezhdunarodnoye shosse | Sheremetyevo-2 Aeroport, 3, Khimki 141400, Russia   |
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Khimki
Delft, The Netherlands
“Sets Low Standards and Fails to meet them.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

With the Novotel Airport Hotel you do have accept that this is a hotel designed for a captive audience of one night stands, for people flying either in or out of the airport and to that end there is very little emphasis on quality.

Rooms
The rooms are spacious and clean and with the exception of the table masquerading as a bed relatively comfortable. It has to be said though this must be one the most uncomfortable hotel beds I have recently slept in. (and I travel a lot) There is a reasonable internet connection via cable for your laptop but do not expect wifi in the rooms for your ipad or smart phone. On asking for a pin code at reception I was told it didn't work. Oddly the free wifi in the communal areas was ok. There is tea and coffee and a small kettle available in the room and an iron and ironing board both of which are definite positives.

Prices as you would expect are extremely high, bordering on robbery in fact. This hotel both for the room and food is extremely over priced for what you actually get. Expect to pay double what you would pay for similar hotels in Europe.

Talking of the restaurant, this is not a place you would want to eat by choice. I had a simple meal of soup and a burger and even that was poor. The soup was luke warm, the burger (overpriced at around 18 GBP) was dry the bread bun stale and for what purported to be a mexican restaurant using Jalapeños from a jar is unforgivable. I can’t imagine its that difficult to get hold of fresh chilli’s. The food also took an age to arrive, but on the other hand the restaurant was quite busy. Timings for breakfast are a strong plus, breakfast starts at 5am which is good and some items are available in the lobby from 4am for the really early starters.

The staff in general I would say are polite and professional however not especially friendly. In terms of language English was spoken by enough staff so that language is not a problem but it was certainly not commonly spoken.

I noticed some previous reviews suggesting the shuttle bus service was poor. My experience was the opposite. I didn't exactly time it but I don't believe I waited anymore than 10 minutes for the bus to arrive at the airport.

Final point is smoking. If you are non smoker the non smoking rooms are fine but be prepared smoking still prevails in many communal areas including the corridors. 10 years ago you would not even have noticed it but in the present with many hotels banning smoking except in certain rooms, when you do come across the odd one that still allows it you notice the bad smell from old smoke all the more.....

In summary despite the many negatives the hotel does do the job its there fore, yes its ridiculously over priced and no you shouldn’t expect too much but at the end of the day, its clean, its safe and its close to the airport, so for one night you can live with it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thierry B, General Manager at Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear HSE_Chap,

Thank you for your comment regarding your stay at Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, but also for taking your valuable time to share your experience with TripAdvisor users.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and will make sure your next stay with us is a memorable one.

527 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I know the Novotel hotels as a good place to stay in different locations, but this Novotel hotel is on the lower end of budget places. I stayed at the hotel as my connecting flight was only next day. The rooms are very basic. You cannot open the window and they do not have any facilities in the rooms. Breakfast is very basic. They offer some yoghurt, bread, jam and honey, coffee and tea. It reminded me more of those old times than of the great food they offer these days in Moscow. Avoid this Novotel hotel if you can.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear James F,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences may have caused you during the stay at Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport.

Our team greatly appreciates that you chose our hotel in Moscow. We sincerely believe that this experience will not affect your confidence in our ability to serve you.

Orcheta, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have stayed here a few time now and is excellent location for the nearby airport. It has a free shuttle bus every 30 minutes so do not get captured by the local taxi companies wanting crazy prices to take you on a 5 minute trip to the Hotel.
If you want a good start to the day make sure you have the excellent breakfast, very big variety could do with being a bit hotter, but plenty to choose from.
The price is a little expensive, but if you live or work in Russia you will know that most things are expensive!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thierry B, General Manager at Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Lazinspain,

Thank you for your comments regarding Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, but also for taking your valuable time to share your experience with TripAdvisor users.

Our team greatly appreciates for choosing our hotel in Moscow and your positive comments. Thank you that allowed us to serve you.

Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

If you need to be close to the airport then this place is fine. (but no other reason to stay !)
The shuttle bus is not very frequent (we waited 30 minutes in -5 C! ) and the staff haven't understood that the soviet era is now passed; but the rooms are fine.
Opt for an executive room, a bit more expensive but they are clean, modern and bedding is new.the Standard ones are still very expensive but desperately in need of refurbishing.

• Stayed November 2012
Thierry B, General Manager at Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear KJG75017,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience the staff behavior and delay of transfer from airport may have caused you.
I would like to inform you that following schedule of shuttle-buses is set for our guests: every 20 minutes from 06am till 10pm and every 30 minutes from 10pm till 6am.

Our team greatly appreciates that you chose our hotel in Moscow. Thank you that allowed us to serve you.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel under better circumstances, and will make sure your next stay with us is a memorable one.

Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Hotel is near the airport, not far than 300 metres. When I arrive on airport I found out that unforunately shuttle was not working. Some local taxi driver wanted to take me to this hotel for 1000 RUR - 25 €. Becasue I was warn by my colleagues on this possibility :-( I walked from airport directlz to the hotel. Hotel is nice and clear, receptionist was very polite helpfull. Room was on standard level, clean with all needed amenities.
Restaurant was on appropriate level and meal which I have got on lunch was good. Breakfest was on acceptable level, but in relation to price, breakfest was for me disappointment. It means that providing meal was fresh and good, but each day we have got same breakfest . I can not accept to get each day same 2 types of sausages, same 2 types of hams and 2-3 types of salami. I have got better breakfest in hotel which costs several times less than this hotel.
So if you will stat there more than 2-3 days as me breakfest is little bit boring.

What is important say that hotel is near to airport and to railway station "Aeroexppress" which train you can take when you will go to the city.

All my ratings are decreased becasue of room price which is really high.

Dear Jozi_trip,

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience may have caused you during the stay at Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport. Our team greatly appreciates that you chose our hotel in Moscow and your positive comments. Thank you that allowed us to serve you.

Amersfoort, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived at 3:00 in the morning at the airport. The shuttle took us the the hotel (no clarity how often it leaves, lousy information at the airport in general). We were with 5 persons and even though there was only one person in front of us, it took 45 minutes to check in. Not something you want to wait for when you just arrive in Moscow late at night!

The hotel and the rooms are mediocre, especially given the ridicilous room rates. Potentially it will get better, since they are reforming the restaurant area. Breakfast is ok.

Check out took long as well. Furthermore, there had been a misunderstanding about the check out time. We were informed that we could check out at the beginning of the evening. During check out however they wanted to charge us a full extra night. We ended up paying 50% extra for checking out 6 hours later! If we would have known we would have checked out earlier, since in the end we only used the room to store the luggage.

To conclude: unfriendly, mediocre, very expensive, long check in and check out times. I truly hope for Russia that this is not the standard for other hotels. Stay away if you can.

Dear Cham S,

I was most concerned to hear of the issues you encountered whilst staying at the hotel, and hence have carried out a full investigation with all necessary personnel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience the delay on check-in and check-out may have caused you. These are not the normal standards we adhere to at the hotel.

Regarding your comments about extra charge for late check-out, please, be informed that according to our policy late check-out within time period 12:00-18:00 costs 50% of room rate and after 18:00 – 100%. I am extremely sorry that my team members have not provided you clear information upon check-in about it.
Please be assured that all necessary steps have been taken to ensure that a similar situation doesn’t happen again in the future.

Our team greatly appreciates that you chose our hotel in Moscow. We sincerely hope that this experience will not damage your confidence in our ability to serve you.

General Manager..
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at the Novotel last week while on our way from Houston to Sakhalin. I agree with some of the previous comments, getting to the Hotel is not easy but there are shuttles and to me, they were clearly marked. I was exceptionally grateful to the hotel for allowing us to stay the night with our two cats. Even though they did charge us $50 -00 per cat! We came in with two large travel crates and 6 pieces of luggage and the bus driver and hotel staff were happy to help.
The Hotel is currently under construction but it is well closed off and if the pictures are anything to go by, the improvements will be quite spectacular. I enjoyed our breakfast. There were many dishes that were foreign and I enjoyed tasting some. The hotel may consider including some English speaking staff during breakfast. There was a lady cooking eggs / omelets but i could not communicate with her.
I will definitely stay here again when in transit through Moscow.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thierry B, General Manager at Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Lucy G,

Thank you for your comment regarding Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport, but also for taking your valuable time to share your experience with TripAdvisor users.

General Manager.

Been to Hotel Novotel Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport? Share your experiences!