“Nice hotel gone bad ...” 2 of 5 stars

Villa Margherita
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Via Mario Puccini, 44, 57015 Quercianella, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Quercianella B&B and Inns
Oslo, Norway
“Nice hotel gone bad ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We visited this hotel last year when we went to see some friends who have a place in the area. The outside facilities of the hotel are really nice, and the hotel is overlooking the sea. The room we got was ok, but nothing more. Nice breakfast and a really nice service.

This year we came back for three days, and we were really disappointed. Since we thought the room was a bit too small last year (a double room with an extra bed, which there wasn't really room for ..., for our daughter), we booked and prepaid for a bigger room. Imagine our surprise when we got the same room with the same arrangement!

I think they must have been out of rooms of the size we'd booked and paid for, but instead of telling us and pricing the room therafter, they thought we wouldn't notice if they gave us the double room instead of the triple one! Unbelievable!

The rooms were renewed. However, the renovation of the hotel wasn't finished, and unfortunately the air condition didn't work. With the heat and a room without a breeze, it was impossible to sleep.

This, combined with a horribly unwelcoming receptionist and a breakfast that all days was lacking the essentials. It doesn't help if the breakfast is good, if there's nothing there.

Last year I would have given this hotel a 4, despite the horrible receptionist and a so and so-room. This year, however, despite renovated rooms, nothing worked, we did not sleep, we did not feel welcome, despite the fact we were there for the second time, and above all, we were swindled as we did not get the room we had paid for.

We are not coming back and we have told our friends there to be careful when recommending this hotel to other visitors of theirs.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
La Quinta, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

We decided to change our plans a bit whilst in Italy and my husband had wanted to stay down by the coast for a couple of days before we needed to head back to Siena. We chose this hotel because the photos of the hotel and of the views were amazing. And sea views are. But that is pretty much where the beauty stops. The pool does look beautiful but it was too cold to go in, and the heater on the jacuzzi didn't work. When I asked about it, I strange look with a slight laugh about it. The room was teeny tiny. I felt like we were bathing in the sink the shower is so small. When we were taken to our room the windows (without screens) were wide open. It was nice to have so much natural light and fresh air, however, it was dusk and mosquitos were everywhere. We killed seven before going downstairs for dinner and we still woke up covered in bites, and I had a rash all over my back. The food in the restaurant was actually quite good (we only ate there for dinner, as when we went downstairs to eat breakfast at 9 am, they had already put everything away even though it was supposed to be out until 10 am). The bed is much harder than most of the other beds we slept in in Italy, and it was two twins pushed together (common) but the seem down the middle was rough. And you can hear EVERYTHING that is going on at the hotel. Your neighbors, the people walking upstairs or down your hall. I mean everything. The next morning we requested to leave early due to the excessive mosquito bites and the terrible noise. She said that she couldn't refund the night because she had to to turn people away (but I checked prior to checking out because I had a suspicion they would do this) and there was plenty of rooms available. We have never left early from a hotel. It was that awful. It's sad, there is so much potential here. A company needs to come in and make it a chic boutique hotel, easily could be a 5 star place if modern niceties and upgrades were done - or even tending to the overgrown plants. I have given it a 2 instead of a 1, because the dinner was good, and the view is beautiful. But if you don't want mosquitos bites all over yourself and you value at least a decent night's sleep, don't bother.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Centreville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2014

We arrived late at night due to a cancelled flight, but we had hoped to spend the day just relaxing by the beautiful pool, but alas it was not meant to be. We were on a tight travel schedule and had to catch a train the next morning. We will definitely make sure to have more time for future visits to spend at this hotel as just the one night was not enough. We did enjoy breakfast on the terrace and the view was just beautiful. We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Centreville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014

We arrived very late and only stayed one night, but from what I experienced the hotel was nice and had a beautiful view. I only wish we would have had time to swim in the pool. The breakfast was nice and my son said the coffee was the best he had ever had. I hope to return someday and spend a few days just relaxing by the pool.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Surrey,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2014

Just returned from 3 days and missing the peace and beauty. Villa Margherita was the last leg of a whilrlwind trip that took in Pisa and Florence. It is close enough by train to visit all both comfortably and this picturesque location was the perfect way to relax after the hustle of the cities.
We chose one of the balcony ocean view rooms, which was more than worth the minimal extra cost. The view over the hotel terraces and on to the ocean - quieter and more still than I can recall seeing an ocean, was stunning. The sun travels across the sky and dips into the sea just to the left of the view so watching the sunset was an added treat.

The room itself was spacious enough to accommodate an extra bed, which allowed my two adult daughters and I to share. There is no air con but the owner arranged for a fan to be brought in. Furniture is tired but if you appreciate Italian antiques then you will be in for a treat
The downside, if I'm being picky is that there were weddings on both the Friday and the Saturday so space for residents to enjoy the pool and terraces was restricted (pool not in use from 12 on Sat).

The staff however, was welcoming and friendly. The owner arranged for our room to be sprayed when we were eaten alive by mozzies through the day and we slept untroubled by them at night. She also allowed us to stay longer in our room and then provided storage for our cases on our last day as our flight was late evening. Waiters in the restaurant were friendly and chatty, nothing was too much trouble, even accommodating gluten and dairy food intolerances.

Best of all was the location. Yes, the hotel could do with a bit of a refurb but only as long as it keeps it's charm. Nothing could improve it's position in the beautiful bay with the tiny, local village nearby for more restaurants, the supermarket and, most importantly, the gelateria!

This is the place to go for some quality rest (the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on) and de-stressing. The night was black as ink, the days full of sunshine dancing off the water. Beautiful. I will definitely return for a longer stay and use it as a base to travel more of Tuscany.

Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2014

I really loved this place. Okay, it's not some 5-star, super fancy, trendy hotel. The toilet stank and we had to keep the door to the bathroom closed. But it was one of those places that had an old world, Mom & Pop charm to it. It felt isolated and quiet, which is exactly what I wanted. The comfort level for me was such that I could have just as easily stayed here three months as one night. It was almost like being in a Fellini movie. The staff were friendly, price very reasonable. Had laundry done - quite a bit of it - and it was embarrassingly inexpensive and done well. We were there in September when there weren't many tourists and we spent the days day tripping to the many lovely small towns and villages. Very much enjoyed sitting outside on the terrace for breakfast, drinking delicious, strong Italian coffee.

NOTE: did not try the pool. But it has a pool. Or you can brave the sea. Which I didn't do either. Let's face it, I didn't want to get wet.

I think about this place often and hope to return some day for a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Unbelieveable garden with pools. Away from rush and noise. Room itself was quite tired, especially bathroom, no aircond., but amazing views gave another value. Good breakfest, great choice of wines, good cuisine. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Recommend by stuff - bathroom with window. Probably bad choise could be side to the parking. Family...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quercianella
Grand Hotel Continental
Hotel Il Romito
Hotel Il Romito
#6 of 23 in Livorno
4.0 of 5 stars 219 reviews

Been to Villa Margherita? Share your experiences!