“Bad service worse drink” 2 of 5 stars

You added Castle Dargan Golf Hotel & Wellness Centre to your Saves list
Castle Dargan Golf Hotel & Wellness Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ballygawley | Sligo, Ballygawley, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Ballygawley
“Bad service worse drink”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We were at a function on Sunday night .. The service at the bar was so bad .. But the pints were worse .. We complained several times but to no benefit .. Felt so sick and told them so .. So a Beautifull location such a shame

• Stayed July 2013
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan Golf Hotel & Wellness Centre, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Tomkat100,
We are very grateful for you taking the time to review your stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort and thank you for your kind words regarding our iconic location. We strive to deliver consistently in all aspects of our products and service and I do sincerely apologise we failed to do so on this occasion. I have spoken with our F&B Manager Matthew and it was a case of extra numbers that attended the function that we hadn’t planned for, please be assured that we have put in place new procedures so this matter will not happen again.
I hope you will be back to us in the near future so you can see the improvements we have put in place. Thank you again for your comments.

513 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Only back today from a 3 night stay in Castle Dargen - we stayed in the gate lodge which I would highly recommend to anyone - it was great for us as we have a 2 year old - just want to make a few small suggestions - just in the lodge cobwebs were left in corner on stairs and dust on wooden blinds - could do with a towel rail in bathroom - just to dry out towels quicker, maybe a small line for clothes as the washing machine was very handy that was in the lodge. We had booked a meal for Monday night which was included in the package but it was never put down for that evening but manager dealt with it very quickly and we ate from bar food menu instead - service was quite slow espically with our toddler but food was lovely - maybe you could look into giving kids a few crayons with something to colour - will definitely come back again

Dear fotrestsidelady,
A big HELLO from Castle Dargan Resort, It is with great pleasure to learn that you had a wonderful time with us. We are so glad you enjoyed our beautiful Walled Garden Apartments, I have brought all your suggestions to our housekeeping management and are now currently looking into implementing your ideas. Please be assured we will let all the team know of your lovely comments. We look forward having the pleasure of welcoming back in the near future

Guest Relations
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

On arrival we seemed to be inconveniencing the receptionist, she wasn't very pleasant. The room was lovely (although I did find there to be a smell of smoke in the room) as were the other areas of the hotel. Bar and restaurant staff more than helpful. Breakfast on the first morning was very haphazard, I agree with a previous review that there was not enough staff on duty. There was mix-up over our booked evening meal, which left us not enjoying our food. Don't think that we will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi K C,

We appreciate you taking time out to review your stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort and thank you for your kind words of our facilities and professional staff. Be assured I will pass on your gracious words to all our team. I am disappointed to read your unfortunate experience you arrived, this matter has been raised with management and rectified. We have reviewed our staff number issue and please be assured we have improved our team numbers. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings you encountered and our chef mark is very disappointed you left our award winning Hall Door Restaurant not enjoying his food. I would ask you to contact me directly as this is a matter we would like to investigate further, my e-mail is kenneth@castledargan.com

We take our customer feedback very seriously and I thank you again for your comments.

Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed bed and breakfast in Castle Dargan recently for two nights. The receptionist was very helpful and friendly when checking in. Over the course of the stay I found the bar staff to be very helpful and friendly also. I can't say that my stay was disappointing but I feel that improvements could be effected in certain areas.
Breakfast was a little chaotic on both mornings insofar as trying to find a seat, and timely replenishment of breakfast items etc.. I realise that the hotel was very busy on the Monday morning but it did not seem too busy on the Tuesday morning.
I just got the feeling that the hotel was a little understaffed. For instance I noticed some people taking their breakfast outside on Monday morning, but the plates and cutlery were still there on the Tuesday morning.
Having said all that I believe the hotel has potential.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Saxonviolins,
Hello from Castle Dargan and we thank you for positive words regarding our friendly & professional staff. I am sorry to hear about your breakfast experience and please be assured staffing levels have been improved and our prompt 4star customer service is back in place. I did speak to our F&B Manager Matthew in relation to the breakfast plates outside Monday & Tuesday morning and he assures me that these were defiantly not the same plates. I thank you very much for your feedback as we do understand how important it is to our industry. Also we will let all the team know of your lovely comments and we look forward having the pleasure of welcoming back in the near future.

Guest Relations
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with fiance for two nights mud July. Thoroughly unimpressed.

Check in OK but staff not overly helpful or friendly. A distinct lack of atmosphere in the hotel from the start. Room was good and spacious but TV was very small for size of room and reception not great on some channels.

Had bar food 1st evening and were told we had to wait over an hour just to get our order in, nevermind actually get the food!! Food was nice when it came. Breakfast was good also but had to ask for coffee toast etc. Milk jugs were filthy with scum under rim!

Jacuzzi was absolutely filthy and did not work properly and sauna was also out of order. Lastly paid €13 for two glasses of house red wine, which I am drinking while I write this review...

In summary I would say that castle dargan does not deserve the reputation that precedes it and should definitely not be classed as a 4 star hotel. Hotel seemed under staffed at all times, or else staff are unattentive at best or
incompetent at worst.

Overpriced, overrated and far better places to stay in Sligo for your money.

Dear EoinBon,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort and your kind words about our rooms and food. I have spoken with our housekeeping management and we are very sorry about the poor reception from your TV, we have checked all rooms and the issue has been resolved. We apologise with the slowness of service and have reviewed our staff numbers as not to have a repeat of this issue. I have met with our Icon Spa Manager Sophia and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I would ask you to please contact me directly at kenneth@castledargan.com as we take our customer feedback very seriously and I am very interested in hearing more about your experience.

kenneth@castledargan.com
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed overnight and had a spa treatment. Never again. When we first arrived in our room it was worn and grubby with glitter and makeup all over the sofas. That wasn't the worst bit...the room smelled of sewage and cigarette smoke. When we tried to call reception from the room there was no answer and when we went to ask to be moved they weren't interested. All they said was that they'd send someone from housekeeping. Eventually, after having to call to remind them, housekeeping arrived and sprayed airfreshner!!! They even left it with us so we could spray it ourselves when the smell became unbearable. Then, the next morning when we went for our spa treatment the jacuzzi and thermal area was not working. Some random workman who looked like an extra from father ted kept wandering through the 'relaxation' room trying to fix it!!! Eventually we left and complained to the Hotel Manager. Nice woman but clearly couldn't care less. Didn't seem one bit concerned that her rooms smelled like sewage and her spa was rubbish. Offered us a meagre 10 euro off our bill. Stay well clear of this hotel, much much better hotels in Sligo town.

Dear JHillen,
We appreciate you taking the time to review Castle Dargan Resort. I was extremely disappointed to read of the area’s we let you down in. I have met with our housekeeping management and discussed your issues, we are very sorry for the smell in your room and please be assured that our maintenance team have resolved this issue. Sophia our Icon Spa manager wishes to convey her apologies with regards to the Thermal Suite being out of order, this issue has also been rectified. Also I do feel your unkind words comparing one of our hard working maintenance team as “an extra from father ted” as very unjustified. I have spoken with our Hotel Manager and I can assure you that all our team care a great deal about the Resort and we are very sorry you left with a negative experience.
We consider these very important matters and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Tipperary, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed in Castle Dargan recently for one night. Lovely location with beautiful views. On arrival, reception staff were friendly & check in was hassle free. On entering bedroom, noticed a smell of smoke in the room (even though it was a non smoking room). Room appeared clean & very spacious.

Bar man very friendly & welcoming. Had lunch in the bar, food quite poor for a 4 star hotel & extremely slow to arrive. Coffee was awful, overheard bar staff chatting amongst themselves stating that coffee machine wasnt working effectively. However, they didnt notify guests of this & still charged for all coffees! What a joke!! Atmosphere wasn't great in the bar area & staff took quite a long time to clear tables when guests had left. This wasnt as a result of staff being busy...

Spa area was very dirty (ESPECIALLY THE JACUZZI) & in need of a total revamp. Treatments received in the spa were average, nothing special considering it is a four star hotel.

Breakfast was good, plenty options, however staff not very professional. Tables not cleaned following departure of guests, had to ask for toast even though there were only about two other tables occupied in breakfast room, therfore staff were not busy.

As part of our deal, we were entitled to late check out. However, on arrival back to our bedroom key card would no longer work, very frustrating & unprofessional in my opinion.

Overall, poor value for money, staff require further training & something seriously needs to be done with that JACUZZI!!!! It is unhygienic & unsafe as a result.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear angel262911,
I appreciate your pleasant comments regarding our staff and rooms at Castle Dargan Resort, I am especially pleased you enjoyed our beautiful views which our set on 170 acres of woodland. Although I must apologise for the smell of smoke in your room as we are a non-smoking Hotel and we actively try to stop people smoking in rooms. I have spoken with our Icon Spa manager Sophia regarding the issue you had with your treatments and I would ask you to directly contact Sophia as she is very interested in investigating this matter further with you, Sophia’s e-mail is sophia@castledargan.com or you can call 071 911 8080. I have also been in contact with our F&B Manager Matthew and we are very sorry for the poor coffee and please be assured this issue has been rectified, our breakfast team apologise for any inconvenience you were caused as we constantly try to give every resident the Castle Dargan Resort 4star experience.
Kenneth Appleby

Been to Castle Dargan Golf Hotel & Wellness Centre? Share your experiences!