“very good all round” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Pia

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lippiano
Villa Pia
You added Villa Pia to your Saves list
06010 Lippiano, Italy   |
Leeds, United Kingdom
“very good all round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

First trip to Villa Pia and have to say very much met our expectations for relaxation. The kids loved it, made loads of new friends and so did we. If you don't like the idea of meeting new people and having dinners together then I'd suggest you give it a miss. Food was great, plenty of choice particularly for lunch and even on a thursday when you have to look after yourself there's a great local pizza place to venture out to.
The rooms are fairly basic but they are clean and you don't spend much time in them anyway. My only negative comment would be that I don't understand why they can't offer free prosecco as well as all the other free booze. They charge 10 euros for a bottle that costs 3 euros in the supermarket. But other than that no complaints from me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Second trip to Villa Pia - 2 years on from the first. The place was great then but with our kids being a bit older (now 6 and 5) we really saw the full benefit of the place. Kids were entertained all week with swimming, art and cookery classes and charging around the grounds. We were able to fully relax at the pool or in the various comfy spots for chilling. Food was great - both lunch and dinner superb. Breakfast could be a bit better - it was the same every day - perfectly nice though.

Our two room suite was great - in an annex by the main building. Simple but nice size and very clean. Very comfy bed. We had a good size bathroom although I think some people didn't have full size baths. Incredible views from the window.

The best thing about Villa Pia though, and this isn't for everyone I'm sure, is the evenings. Kids eat at 6pm and then can do what they like. Adults convene around 8pm for drinks and then a big dinner as a group (there were about 15 families there last week). On both occasions we've been to Villa Pia the other families have been great - quite varied and really interesting. We've had illustrators, doctors, a few lawyers, journalists and even a couple of showbiz folks amongst the various people we've met at VP. In our experience VP works best for folks who are happy to be pretty sociable and don't mind too much a gaggle of small kids being around. We had a brilliant group of people there last week and every night was fantastic fun.

This place is not five star luxury but what they do they do exceptionally well. It's a well oiled machine designed to give children and parents a great time with top notch food. When one family had a medical emergency early in the morning the VP manager sorted it impeccably. They really know what they are doing and I can't recommend VP enough.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have visited VP since our children were 18 months and 6 months. It is a warm welcoming place with truly friendly staff who welcome us back year after year. Our children always enjoy their time there, making many friends and exploring freely. It annoys me when people( who probably have not done their research or just don't get the place) write scathing reviews which potentially could ruin this wonderful place. No request is too much for the staff. For a relaxing time with your children where you don't feel the need to dump them in creche facilities, you could not find better. Great food, fridges full of beer, wine, spirits, baby purees, yoghurts and fruit juices all to help one's self. A fabulous coffee machine to perfect your cappuccino making sits in the kitchen. After years of going I am pleased to say we cannot fault it, it remains consistent, no corners cut in times of recession and somewhere we will continue to go. Lisa, Colin, Freya and Fergus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just returned from a holiday at Villa Pia and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
I read a couple of luke warm reviews (to be fair - all the rest are glowing) before going and was slightly apprehensive about what to expect. But I found that the reviews couldn't be further from the truth.
If you want a holiday that your children will enjoy - swimming, trampolining, soft play, 'arting' as our 3 yr old called her art classes, kids cooking classes, tennis plus exploring and meeting lots of other children AND importantly a holiday that you also find relaxing and enjoy - with wonderful scenery, fantastic food, a coffee machine that betters what I've been served at well known coffee chains, a well stocked fridge of drinks and a 4 course meal 6 nights of the week - then this is the place for you. Our room was the one featured on the website and its lovely - views are simply amazing. Waking up to this every morning was a delight.
We were met by Morag when we arrived and made to feel welcome as soon as we pulled up. The staff were amazing and so helpful and our daughters nut allergy was well catered for.
We met lots of really nice families, our daughter made loads of friends and adults looked out for each others children. It was a really nice atmosphere. Some of the families had been to Villa Pia many times before. We may see them again next year !

Room Tip: Room at back of main house is quiet (except Cuckoo bird!) and has amazing views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Villa Pia was a huge disappointment. Despite paying for the entire week, we left after five nights and moved to another hotel (the owners didn't even bother to ask why we were leaving early when we told them.). Our biggest complaint about Villa Pia was our room. It was sold to us as a two bedroom accommodation. But it was really a one bedroom with a wall in the middle of the room. So one of the "bedrooms" didn't have a single window (keep in mind there is no air con) and just had a tiny fan and a two dim wall lamps. It was hot, dark and basically felt like sleeping in prison. (see photo--the tiny square of light in the background is the bathroom window which is all the air you get). When we complained, they said it is for the children. Not only did we not like leaving our children in that sweaty, stifling room, we also would have had to walk through that room to get outside and to get into the bathroom. Aside from the room, the hotel itself is weird and the pool is horrible. I've attched a photo of the pool. The toilets are several minutes away from the pool across unpaved, steep, rocky terrain. So basically everyone goes in the pool or in the grass around it. The meals are tasty but are served family style at one long table. This is a great place if you like to make friends on holiday. If you already have friends and would like to relax with your family, this is not the place to go. You have no selection with the food and have to eat whatever comes out that night and at 8:00 or you miss it. We asked if we could eat at a separate table with the couple we were with and they begrudgingly allowed it once but were not pleased. Also, the place is packed with kids and you can never get away for a minute to relax. The older kids are running around the table while you are having your dinner. The staff were generally nice but the management were rude and unhelpful. We started asking for our bill on Wednesday and nobody was able to produce it before we left on Friday. We left at 9:30am and nobody was even there yet. So we had to wire money from the UK which we found annoying. The only thing we loved about our stay at Villa Pia was the cooking class. The kitchen staff were brilliant and the food was amazing. We moved to another hotel so we could have a few days of relaxation with pool service, a menu, laundry service, etc. If you are looking for peace and quiet or luxury, this is not the place to go.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Owners-VillaPia, Owner at Villa Pia, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your time at Villa Pia. I do however need to clarify a couple of things . The rooms you were staying in were very clearly described at the time of booking ' you have to walk through the children's room to get to the parent's room ' and for this reason is charged as a family room , it is not described as 2 interconnecting rooms. We are incredibly flexible about adult dinner, always waiting until families have managed to get their children to bed , but all the food is made with fresh local produce so by 8.30 we do need to start serving dinner to ensure the quality. We do have laundry facilities available for guests. We do not advertise as a five star hotel , in fact we do advertise as a relaxing place to be as a family which is often not possible in a five star environment. I do remember that we accommodated your friends for meals , art classes and also agreed to them using all the facilites even though they weren't staying at Villa Pia. this included helping themselves to everything as people staying here do, something unique to Villa Pia. I do remember asking if everything was alright when you were leaving and being told it was for work reasons.The managers arrive at Villa Pia at 8.30, they may not be in the office all the time but they are on site. The pools are sited where they are for safety and maximum sun, so when families are around the courtyard it is possible to relax away from the swimming pools. I am so sorry you did not enjoy Villa Pia
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Just idly surfing and saw a poor review of villa pia which I was concerned about. We have two daughters who are now 18 and 15 and visited villa pia more than ten times from when they were very young. Nothing was ever a problem for any of the staff.there was certainly someone around to keep an eye on children if they are little.yes of course payment is necessary. Later on as the girls got older they enjoyed the freedom of wandering around in a safe environment.both girls have wonderful positive memories of villa pia and still ask to go back.

Mike fen Tal and Freya

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I went to Villa Pia with my two daughters (4 and 2) in July and we all had a great time. It was our first solo trip away following the death of my husband and I was a little daunted. I had been assured though that Villa Pia would be the perfect place to go as a lone parent and that advice proved to be spot on.

On arrival to the lovely hilltop village of Lippiano I asked directions and easily found my way to the main house (if you follow the road round past the castle walls, Villa Pia is through some big gates and down a steep hill on the right hand side. The welcome we received was lovely - Paola was great, very welcoming and informative. We stayed in the house in the village. At first I was a little bit concerned about this, but actually it proved to be perfect. In the evening a babysitter is in the house and looks after the children of the 4-5 families staying there while the parents go and have dinner. It was really nice to close the door and know the children were going to be well looked after and I could have nice, grown-up conversations without being interrupted!

The room we had was nice - it was actually 2 rooms with two single beds in one and a large double bed in another. There was a nice bathroom with great views out over the surrounding countryside. In the house we were in there was also a playroom with lots of toys and books and also a kitchen with a fridge full of milk, juice and water (as well as wine & beer) and everything you needed to assemble a basic breakfast. We generally ate breakfast here and then went down to the main house/pool and stayed there for the day.

Villa Pia is on a hillside, so there are lots of steps and quite steep hills to negotiate. It was actually no bad thing, as it meant I walked off much of the gorgeous food and wine I consumed! The food was wonderful - so many different dishes to choose from at lunchtimes, you couldn't help but go back for seconds. Children's tea again had many different dishes to satisfy even the fussiest child (I know, because I have one!). The nightly dinner for adults was just great. All the food, without exception, was delicious. There was a constant supply of Villa Pia's own organic wine and then after dinner an extensive range of liqueurs would come out.

The absolute best thing about Villa Pia was the people - staff and guests alike. It could have felt very daunting, walking down the steps from the village to the main house each evening by myself, but it wasn't. Everyone made me feel so welcome and it was such a pleasure to get to know some of the people. I guess this is where Villa Pia either works for you or it doesn't: group dinners like that are not for everyone. But for me, it was just the perfect way to finish each day.

I didn't actually use any babysitting other than in the evenings. I found my children a pleasure to be with - we were all relaxed and enjoyed each other's company, rather than having to worry about the usual rushing around at home. Being at Villa Pia was a huge part of this. I have never felt so relaxed on holiday. And now my children are already asking when can we go back!

Thank you Villa Pia.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Villa Pia? Share your experiences!