“Never again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ta' Soldi

Ta' Soldi
New Street of Mgarr Road | Triq Iz-Zebbiegh, Mgarr, Island of Malta MGR 2061, Malta
+356 2152 5315
Dining options: Late Night
Sliema, Malta
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had been to Ta' Soldi a number of times, and though the food was never great, it was always passable and I always had a good time, despite the incredible noise and the factory canteen ambience.
For Sunday 12 May I booked a table for five for lunch. The tables at the front were taken, so we settled for a table in the large area below street level. Since I had been there before, I knew what to expect, and with my nerves suitably steeled, turned up at 1.00 pm, the time of the booking.
We had to wait some 10-15 minutes for a table (no problem) and a little more until our order was taken. But the food did not start to arrive until 3.15 pm, even though for some reason only a very limited menu was being offered that day.
The food was truly awful. The octopus in garlic was a mass of cotton wool floating in oil, whilst the fried rabbit in garlic consisted of a heap of bones (leftovers from some stag party?) without a single hind or front leg. The stuffed pork was left practically untouched. The grouper turned out to be the best thing on our table, even though fish is not usually Ta' Soldi's forte. Had it not been for the good servings of chips with all mains, we would have left hungry. The walnut and chocolate gateau was also good, though the cassata ice cream had lumps of ice in it as well as being sickly sweet and laden with an entire periodic table of chemicals.
The place is not cheap - it is actually very bad value. The following day we went to the restaurant of 5-star hotel in Pembroke/St George's Bay and had a wonderful culinary experience and magnificent service for the same total cost - 40c less, to be precise.
Ta' Soldi is great for a field trip on the Maltese working class, but otherwise, keep well clear.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Poor service, sub-standard, cold food. A real let down!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by a friend and we wanted to visit for a good weeks. When we finally managed to find the time, we were really looking forward to it.

What a let down... We were left to wander round the restaurant upon our arrival for the best part of twenty minutes. We were, however, pleased by how clean and tidy the place was. We chose a table and the most miserable looking waitress in the world sidled over to take our orders. We ordered drinks, garlic bread and the 'meat lover's delight' dish. The drinks came. The garlic bread for two followed. There were three slices. Since we get on so well, we decided to split the third slice but, frankly, after taking one bite of the most rock hard, most salty god-awful bread in the world, we would have loved to have given it away!. A full hour after our starter, our meal arrived. It was cold, it looked horrible, it consisted of the poorest cuts of meat imaginable and neither of us ate it. The best part of my 17 euro meal was the sausage!

I was robbed of 50 euros for this poor excuse for a meal!!

Spare yourselves... Don't go!

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Mellieha, Malta
“Good Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have been at Ta' Soldi Restaurant alot of times and we never where disappointed. Prices are cheap, portions are huge and the food is good. when you first walk in the restaurant you know that you can't expect every thing top notch however the food is good, excellent service and great prices. Will definately return.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Massive Meals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Ta' Soldi is a lovely little restaurant. Well, it looks small from the outside, but it's massive - like its food portions - on the inside. I was amazed when I entered the building to use the loo (I was dining al fresco with friends one Public Holiday) to see how spacious the place actually is - room for many hungry guests.
The menu is very Maltese and the size of the meals reflect the generosity of the people - huge!
The food is well-cooked and very tasty and can be washed down with some really nice locally produced wine. Both food and wine are brilliantly priced and I will definitely return here when I am particulary ravenous. Great place and great view of the Mgarr valley.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Valletta, Malta
“Good prices.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

First i arrived in Ta' Soldi i had a good look and i realize that i don't have to expect a high class restaurant it is a tipical Maltese restaurant.. We were a table of 4 the service was very good for its class. I looked at the menu and it was very cheap.. I ordered the Irish steak it cost only about 17:50euro For a 450g then we ordered the drinks and after 4 minutes everything was on the table plus a good local wine on the house. 3 minutes later free on the house apitizer were served to us plus the good bebbux that i love to eat when i am in Malta, than the meat was out in 5 min after we ate the apitizers. On the menu the beef was listed that it was cooked as a charcoal grilled for my opinion it was' not but no big deal for that. The meat was cooked as a medium and it was perfectly cooked.. the things that i want to see in the near future of this restaurant is that the manager will focus more on the style of the esteblishment and the portions are a bid massive for me i guess. All the above was good and very price worthy for a family restaurant...

• Visited February 2013