“very pleasant!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gasthof Schorn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St. Leonhard
Gasthof Schorn
You added Gasthof Schorn to your Saves list
St. Leonhard, St. Leonhard 5083, Austria   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in St. Leonhard
“very pleasant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Very good surprise !
The bedroom is spaceful, clean, beautiful modern bathroom.
TV and a comfortable sofa in m'y room.
Thewifi connection was Fast and Easy to connect on all my devices.
i've tested the Breakfast and the dinner and it was good too.

Good address !

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My first impressions of Gasthof Schorn exceeded my expectations. If you don't mind paying a few more bucks, go stay at a hotel closer to Salzburg! The hotel is a 30 minute bus ride away from Salzburg. It is in the next town over. Besides the distance it is a good hotel. Excellent restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

Our stay in Salzburg was very pleasant but the hotel was in the most inconvenient location. If you don't mind paying a few more bucks, go stay at a hotel closer to Salzburg! The hotel is a 30 minute bus ride away from Salzburg. It is in the next town over. Besides the distance it is a good hotel. The owners were not that friendly. There were two occasions where the owners were busy talking to their friends/visitors and completely ignored me. The only time where I got their attention was when I asked them to book a tour. Rick Steves says that the hotel gets a portion of the money for the tours so I think that may be the only reason why they cared. The rooms were very clean and had lots of towels to use. The only drawback with my room was the church bells! They rang for forever! I swear it was from 6am to 9pm. Going on and on every hour.. we had the room right by the church so it was really loud. Our friends stayed in the room down the hall and they said they didn't hear any bells. If you stay there.. stay away from room number 12 on level 3. If I came back to Salzburg, I would stay in a hotel that is actually in Salzburg.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

The hotel itself was very picturesque! Great rooms (although no elevator, which was only a problem for our mom who had knee replacement surgery months ago: it was difficult for her to manage the stairs and the long hallways to the rooms). The restaurant was also so charming and the food was very, very good. Our only complaint is the cold, unfriendly owners - with the exception of the young woman with blond hair who is part of the family who owns the inn...she was very helpful and kind. Other than that, we had to practically stand on our heads to even be acknowledged, especially by the man who owns it. We spent a good amount of money there, both in reserving 2 large rooms for 2 nights each as well as patronizing their restaurant for numerous meals. It would have been nice to have been shown they appreciated our business, even a little!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

My first impressions of Gasthof Schorn exceeded my expectations. I was hoping for picture postcard and it was exactly that with amazing views of the Untersberg mountain included! The only downside is that it is adjacent to a fairly busy main road. This was not an issue for us but the noise may bother some people in the summer when you can have the windows open and survive the night!

The hotel was very easy to reach on the bus and there was a regular service (every 20mins I think) from various stops throughout Salzburg. We also go the bus back to the hotel at 10.45pm one night which saved us a lot of money on taxi fares.

The staff were friendly and helpful but fairly hands off once we had a checked in. The room was exceptional and the pictures I had seen had not done it justice. It was spacious with a large bathroom and a balcony with stunning views of the Untersberg. The room was so clean I thought we were the first people to use it and the rest of the hotel was equally spotless.

Breakfast was decent with a selection of breads, meats and cereals etc and we also ate at the restaurant one evening and enjoyed some excellent traditional Austrian food with good, fast service. It seemed very popular with the locals which is often a good sign.

I would not let the fact that Gasthof Schorn is outside of the centre put you off staying here. It's a simple bus ride into Salzburg and the views and atmosphere make it more than worth the effort.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

Three of us stayed here for a week during Euro 2008 while touring through Austria and stayed here as we had a hard time finding some that would work for three that was a reasonable price. The second, smaller bed was a bit hard and we did have our windows when we left them open in our room, so that was weird. The only other negative was the bathroom as a bit small in the room we had. We were on the side over the restaurant had a great view, but did overlook main road/intersection which could be a bit noisy at times with the open windows. The hotel is located it is directly across from Untersberg and the Tourist info where they had bike rentals and you can ride a bike to different places if you want to as well, such as Hellbrun (also on the bus ride to the city centre), or the city centre. The location was great as we were touring by car and it has free parking. We took the bus into the Zentrum (City Centre) once and it worked out very well and went in my car another time.
We at lunch and dinner at the restaurant below there and I must recommend having the Salzburger Nockerl for desert which is a must have if you are in Salzburg. As for breakfast it is your standard bread, buns, cold cuts & jam, but you can request eggs if so desired. All in all we enjoyed our stay there and return.
BTW get a Salzburg Card if you are spending some time in Salzburg and you can go up Untersberg as part of that card.

• Liked — View, location
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Netanya, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I just stayed at the Gasthof Schorn for 1 week with my wife and 2 kids (5 and 12). I picked it because it was so highly rated on tripadvisor. This "bed and breakfast" is pretty good value all things considered, although it did have a few vexing quirks.

The building itself is very attractive and extremely well maintained. We stayed in a room that would have been huge for a couple, but was a little cramped for the 4 of us. Essentially it consisted of 1 king size bed and a couch that was permanently opened as an additional double bed (also quite large). The floors are parquet (pretty standard for Austria) and the furnishings are attractive, if a little bland. The bathroom was large, but surprisingly there was no tub, even though there was room for one. The shower was excellent.

On the down side, there was no air conditioning and our room got a bit stuffy. For some reason every time I opened the windows the staff would close it again after we went out which kinda pee'd me off.

Breakfast was adequate, but not a very large selection. You get some bread, cold cuts, cheese, serial, juice and coffee. We ate in the restaurant once, and it was pretty standard Austrian menu - Schnitzel, strudel etc. On the Saturday night there was some live music and it did get a bit noisy in our room, but short of a 747 flying through our room, nothing will wake my kids, so no biggie really.

Hotel staff (presumably a family runs it) tried their best, but lets be honest - people from that part of the world aren't exactly known for their hospitality. One morning we over slept a little and I asked the waitress if we might still be able to grab some breakfast. She got all flustered and begrudgingly said ok, but it was obvious she was annoyed by the request, so we gave it a pass. Other waitresses were perhaps a little better, but I expected them to perhaps be warmer since we were there with kids for a full week.

The absolute best thing about the hotel is its location. Its located at the foot of the Untersberg mountain (1800m) and has a sensational view of it. its also next to a very charming town called Grodig, which has some nice restaurants. Also, across the road from the hotel is a tourist information office which proved very helpful. Salzburg city is a 10-15 minute drive (straight down the road) and the autobahn to take you anywhere else is around the corner. If you don't have a car, there is a bus service to take you straight into Salzburg.

I paid 136 Euros for the 4 of us in the peak of the summer tourist season. Thats hard to beat for a family of 4 since usually you would need to take 2 rooms. I was extremely satisfied with the accommodation. The Schorn is an outstanding base for discovering Salzburg and the Salzburgerland area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No A/C
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Leonhard
Hotel Schloss Monchstein
Hotel Schloss Monchstein
#1 of 135 in Salzburg
5.0 of 5 stars 237 reviews

Been to Gasthof Schorn? Share your experiences!