“NOT AT ALL GOOD” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Southampton, United Kingdom
“NOT AT ALL GOOD”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Quite good service, the waitress was helpful and nice, however, it was downhill after that.
We ordered fillet steak, it arrived in three pieces rather than one steak, tiny bit of salad and potato, not filling, or appetising and was a long time coming.

They had a magiciian as entertainment and althouigh very good, we prefer to eat and chat rather than have a third party at the table.

Only 2 other people eating there, I mentioned to the manager whilst paying the bill that I was less than satisfied, he was very dismissive and appeared not to care less..

We had been prior to this visit, it was a lunch time and had pizza, this was very good and enjoyable, still overall I shall not visit La Vista again

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We decided to try this restaurant as the only alternative to our hotel restaurant in Hythe Marina. Never again!

The restaurant itself is very tatty - the ladies had prints stuck on the wall which were curling up at the edges, chipped walls and one dirty, dated cubicle.

The food was tasteless and varied hugely in portion size. I had two prawns in my linguine main which was the main ingredient! The waitress didn't have a clue about anything we asked. When she did ask what dressing I wanted on my salad, she couldn't tell me what the choices were. I asked just for some balsamic only to find (when she never came back) that the salad was already dressed anyway. My husband ordered a glass of Pinot Noir but received something that was definitely not!

We waited an age to order only to be further delayed by a table magician who seemed to be doing his best in a very out of context setting.

All in all, the most bizarre and disappointing restaurant experience in a long time. Don't go!

Visited August 2012
Southampton
“Atmosphere ? Mrs K L”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Just couldn't help wonder what Mrs K L Meant when she said there was no Atmostphere @ the boathouse ? That place has put hythe back on the map is a great place to go always something different going on there everyweek live music and it's a hotel.....I think somtimes when people write reviews on here they don't see the bigger picture on what goes on behind the scenes ....The La vista is lovely too sorry to write on here i think Mrs K L needs to maybe look at her own company maybe lacking not the Boathouse ....Hythe is a very small place and sometimes people are very narrow minded ....just doesn't seem justifed to write that on La Vista trip advisor

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Staff needs to be reconsidered”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed an amazing meal here last Saturday night. The food was delightful and the presentation on the plate really did open up our apetites. A little disappointed in the selection of veg it was quite dated but still nice nontheless. The restaurant itself is quite tired and in desperate need of a revamp but the marina views compensates a little for that. Although not the same if you don't have a seat by the window to take in those views. The only real criticism and I mean criticism as the above were just small comments was staff. For the stay of our meal my wife and I watched all servers run around apart from one. This waitress stood the whole night at the entrance looking at the others rush by. We sat with our plates empty infront of us for quite a while before someone had cleared our plate. This waitress looked at us and did nothing. Service could of been better due to inefficiency of one. Quite a shame really as everything else was without fault. Quite curious to know where the manager was on this night to accept this kind of inefficiency from a member of staff. It really does spoil a service when someone isn't as proactive as the others. For the first time ever we didn't leave a tip. It seemed like everyone would share the tips at the end of the night as everyone served all the tables there was no sign of table sections. It would seem unfair for the others to share their tips with this particular waitress so we thought best not to leave any at all. Will come back to the restaurant but will avoid a weekend and hope to return for a meal when she isn't there to see if there is a difference in table service.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Malta
“Wonderful evening - lovely meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am Italian and, although there is a slight shortage of actual Italian staff in this restaurant, I have no complaints. The food is excellent, especially fish specialities, it's authentic and good value for money. The staff even made a special dish for me at my request - nothing was too much trouble. Very good atmosphere, lovely position at the Marina. My only mild criticism would be too many tables and rather uncomfortable chairs but I understand the need to optimise space and potential income in today's financial climate

• Visited April 2012