“Very average, very expensive” 2 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach Gulf Front
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   14 Via Deluna Drive, Pensacola Beach, FL 32561   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very average, very expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort over Labor Day weekend. It is a family hotel with way too many children running around and screaming. Our room was really very average for just under $500 per night. I can't say there was really anything wrong with it, it's just too much money. The fire alarm went off at 1:30 in the morning and we all had to file out into the night, it also went off the next day in the afternoon. I think they really need to address this. The hotel is right on the beach and our view from the 9th floor is spectacular, but walking down the stairs in the middle of the night -- not so much. I wouldn't put even a toe in the pool as it was loaded with kiddos if you catch my drift. The beach is past the pool and they have umbrella attendants that did an excellent job. We got a sandwich and drink at the outdoor, thatched roof grill which was pretty good, (expensive too). The coffee shop didn't open on time when we were checking out, and when they showed up there was a bit of attitude from the employee, I just wanted/needed coffee for our trip to the airport. If I went to Pensacola again I would find another hotel on the beach.

Room Tip: try to stay in the higher floors for the view and face the beach.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ron W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach Gulf Front, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Resort on beautiful Pensacola Beach. I’m disappointed you were not completely satisfied with your stay. The coffee shop hours have been corrected already. I apologize for not being open when you wanted us. I’m glad you liked your room and the resort overall. Please like us on our Facebook page because we are always loading great specials for our guests. Hope to see you again soon.

Ron Wilson, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

What a great spot. Upon arrival, Michelle was friendly and helpful. She kept our vacation spirits up and explained everything the hotel has to offer.

Ellis at the outdoor bar was friendly and made great drinks under the big thatch palapa.

Nice tropical feel that just feels like vacation.

Happy with our choice and choice of Pensacola Beach!

• Stayed September 2013
Ron W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach Gulf Front, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Resort on beautiful Pensacola Beach. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay, our resort, and the beautiful beach. Please return again real soon and tell everyone about us!

Mansfield, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Had a gulf beach-front room on 11th floor, the view was awesome. The hotel is very modern, very chic for not being in South Beach. The pool was really nice, loved the lazy river. The room a/c worked very well, a must for FL humidity. The balcony was really nice in the morning before it got too hot. Michelle at the front desk was super nice, as was Jim (?) the manager of Riptide's (restaurant) and Jo Jo, my waitress.

Now for a few tweaks that are needed (IMHO). The bed was pretty hard, which was surprising cause the mattress is obviously fairly new. I would also like to see the 11th and maybe 10th floors be "adult only." Yes I have kids but when I'm on vacation I don't want to listen to yours screaming non-stop for nearly an hour...just saying. Also, they need to get help on weekends, especially holiday weekends for the outdoor tiki bar. The little teenager they had out there was totally overwhelmed and couldn't remember her name much less to bring you utensils or napkins. And one major improvement would be to have a wandering waitress around the pool. Seriously guys you are missing out on major revenue here.

Summary: Few shortcomings, but very minor. Great place to stay, would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get gulf-front if possible, there isn't a bad one.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Resort on beautiful Pensacola Beach. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay, our resort, and the beautiful beach. I’ve noted you comments about the Tiki Bar and pool service and will share with my team for improvement. We appreciate you highlighting that so we can make it better. Please return again real soon and tell everyone about us!

small town in missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed in January and was very comfortable with all. Close to the beach and a great view of ocean. Would stay again. Very clean, helpful staff. Close to dining and shopping. Great beach area. Beautiful white sand.

Room Tip: All are good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Resort on beautiful Pensacola Beach. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay, our resort, and the beautiful beach. January is a wonderful time to stay at the beach so thank you for writing about staying in January. Please return again real soon and tell everyone about us!

Rahway, New Jersey, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This Holiday Inn Resort was fantastic from the minute we walked in. The front desk staff was wonderful (Mariam upon check-in and another gal upon check-out (I didn’t get her name), but she happily reserved our airport cab and extended our card keys for a late check-out. Our gulf front, very private balcony, room was great, super clean, very spacious and had all the amenities we could want - nice size closet w/ iron & ironing board, in-room safe, nice size fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The pool / lazy river was amazing and so much more than just a regular pool. It had waterfalls, beautiful landscaping, water spouts, two hot tubs and a couple of hammocks. There were umbrellas & tables for about every 3-4 lounge chairs. The pool bar was fun and the largest I’ve seen. Bartenders Kyle & Frisbee (who is also a manager) were super friendly. I liked the walkway from the pool to the beach. Riptides Sports Grill was good & convenient for a full breakfast, or just a muffin to go, and lunch. We didn’t go for dinner. This resort is great if you have children. They had a cute pool-side pirate show & mermaid to entertain them. The free trolley was a plus but, I believe, only runs Memorial Day–Labor Day. There's lots of restaurants & stores within walking distance. I’m going to miss all this southern hospitality when I return home but I look forward to returning to this area and, most definitely, to this hotel. Keep up the good work !!!!! Thanks so much !!!!

Room Tip: If you can, try to get a Gulf view room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Resort on beautiful Pensacola Beach. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay, our resort, and many of our wonderful team members. I’m blessed to have so many talented people on my team that truly understand hospitality! Creating memorable moments for our guests is what we work very hard to do. Please return again real soon!

Springfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Perfect location, right off the main street and right on the beach!! The property was clean, the staff was very friendly. Has an AWESOME pool with a lazy river and kids activities. Rooms were nice with amazing views!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Resort on beautiful Pensacola Beach. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and our resort. Creating memorable moments for our guests is what we work hard to do. Please return again real soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Moderate your expectations of this Holiday Inn Resort. After reading reviews, I wondered what hotel people experienced! First, the pool is surrounded by chain smoking adults, so the alleged "smoke-free" policy is hardly enforced. During our Labor Day weekend family vacation, it was as if all the best employees were given the weekend off--unmanned towel booth at the pool; way understaffed restaurant where after 30 minutes of waiting for eggs I had to get up and search for someone to produce breakfast and the free kids breakfast was so gross my son decided not to eat it. (boil in a bag scrambled egg product; dry pastries and many empty chafing dishes) I travel over 15 days per month on business and I chose the Holiday Inn because it is usually such a solid brand. I expected the "Resort" level to be a click above my business travel experiences. It is not; in fact, you get far more at more moderately priced hotels. No free coffee, no water in lobby, no Priority Club floor, no acknowledgment that I even am a Priority Club (IHG) member, no server walking the pool to offer drinks, no music by the
pool, zero ambiance. Bar drinks are $8 in a small plastic
cup of horrible daiquiri topped with an awful whipped cream. Opt for beer or hit the liquor store in the parking lot of the hotel. Front desk staff don't seem to fully understand the hospitality industry. You will get checked in and handed a key; no introduction of the hotel, location of fitness room, mention of restaurant, etc. After specifically saying I did not want a handicapped accessible room,
they put me in one. The restaurant is disgusting and needs new management. Save your money and go to Publix and stock your fridge. Now for the good; the lobby presents well and smells nice; the room smelled fresh. Carpet looks new and corners are clean. Refrigerator and microwave are nice to have. My son loved the lazy river pool and happy child equals happy family. We came here for him and he spent hours in that pool. My workouts are important to me on the road and the fitness room is very nice with high quality cardio machines, rubberized dumbbells, leg press, chest press machine, flat screen tv's and a view overlooking the Beach and pool. This is a solid place for a quick, affordable family vacation in a clean room right on the beach. With some attention to staff training, customer service, added basic amenities and ambiance, this hotel could rise to its "Resort" title, but as is, it is an average 3 that is resting on its pool and beach laurels.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Resort on beautiful Pensacola Beach. I’m very disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. I assure you that I take your comments very serious and will share all of them with my staff. We will take action immediately to ensure everything you mentioned is corrected to levels that exceed your expectations as well as all guests who stay with us. What you described is not how we normally conduct our business so please accept my apologies!

Ron Wilson, CHA

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Pensacola Beach Gulf Front? Share your experiences!