“Very Enjoyable Visit.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Very Enjoyable Visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My family was at Portofino for two nights for a wedding. We had a three bedroom condo in Tower 3, up on the 20th Floor, 2001. We loved our stay. The views were great. Our only problems were that the unit was a bit heavily dusty, on the tops of furniture, and all high surfaces, like they had never been cleaned. Otherwise, cleanliness was great. And the kitchen was good to have. The toaster was half broken, but everything else functioned well. Despite the small hiccups, we really enjoyed the condo. And the staff were friendly and helpful. I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Go high for expansive views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chelsea, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend in a 3 bedroom, 3 bath condo on the 11th floor and every room had a great view. The condo was clean and was well appointed. Each tower has their own pool, or you could use the larger main pool located at the spa & restaurant complex. The complex also has a restaurant and a grill, but we did not have an opportunity to try these. You could rent kayaks, jet skis and beach chairs if so desired. We liked the fact that this facility was at the end of the line from Pensacola Beach, so it was away from the other restaurants/stores and crowds. We'd like to come back sometime for a longer stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Valrico, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We rented a wonderful condo in Tower 1 on the 20th floor / 2 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths. We stayed for 7 days/6 nights over the Labor Day holiday. The condo and property were fantastic! The condo was clean and spacious with a fully stocked kitchen, updated appliances, granite countertops in kitchen and baths, TVs in living room and both bedrooms, tile through-out and gorgeous water views from every room. During the Labor Day weekend, the resort had a lot of activities and the beach and pools were crowded. However, after Labor Day, the crowds cleared out, the activities were minimal, and the rest of the week was very quiet. There were minimal people on the beach, and often times we were the only ones at the pool. We ate at the Terrazzo Grille restaurant 3 times and had fantastic food and service every time. The resort staff was always helpful. We highly recommend this resort to anyone visiting Pensacola Beach!

Room Tip: Tower 1 seems to be a great location. Close to the beach. The main pool area is a short walk away.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

What a beautiful condo we rented out. It was my sister's wedding and the entire family was booked in the same tower but on different floors as requested.

Two bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, full kitchen with dishes and updated appliances, satellite tv, and a GREAT view in every room!

I'd be more than happy to rank this hotel with five stars if it wasn't for the absolute HORRENDOUS service we received from EVERY employee in the resort.

Where to even start?

The half an hour check in when I was first in line that included no information on my premium package and where I was reused my wrist band for the first time for the Adventure Pass that was purchased for me by the bride and groom, apparently the clerk at the desk had no information on it.

The wedding planner that was hired from the resort that did NOTHING for us. We had to find our own florist, officiant, and photographer and explain several times information that had not only been outlined in the signed contract but over several emails. We were also stood-up for a meeting with her the day before the wedding!

The attitude from the lady working the juice/coffee bar in the spa area about taking cash. We're sorry we didn't know, because NO ONE told us when we checked in, but instead of giving us an attitude perhaps she could have explained we could use our rooms keys to charge and again that we would get a discount with our package instead of just being completely rude.

Again trying to get our Adventure Pack wrist bands, we were told we needed the groom to call the front desk. Apparently they needed a list of people allowed to pick up the bands. Perhaps someone could have told him that when he bought them so I didn't have to call my brother-in-law on the golf course and ask him to phone the front desk...whose line was BUSY FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES. Seriously guys?

The people at the site for using the Adventure pack. Some marked with resort t-shirts, one girl just in a black bathing suit not speaking but staring at me until I asked, "do you work here?" and got a snotty, "yeeeeeah"....how would I know that lady in plain bathing suit standing on beach not behind desk?

And then there was the day of check-out where I was locked out of my room before the check out time. I was so pleased to have to run across the resort, in the POURING RAIN, with NO SHOES ON, so I could get my things out of room because I made the dire mistake of going downstairs for a soda an hour before check out.

Who can you talk to about these problems? Apparently no one. They give you a business card for a person that appears to never be on site and who doesn't return voice mails.

Horrific staff that a beautiful property can't make up for up. These guys don't know what hand is doing what. I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rising Sun, MD.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We booked our stay directly through Portofino reservations. We were in tower one unit 1801, we arrived on 8/22 and checked out on 8/30. I specifically picked our condo online due to the bedding situation in the condo, and I was told at the time that it had been completely redone. Upon check in we found our unit to be very dirty. Grease all over the microwave and refrigerator. Hairs underneath the glass piece over the dining table. Partially used sample bottles of shampoo, a leak that had bubbled the wall in one of the closets, a light out in the laundry room, hairs on the sheets and an overall musty smell. Needless to say we were extremely unhappy about the situation. We went down to the front desk to be told my the girl at the counter that she would speak to her manager Stephanie. While she was in the back with Stephanie the gentleman at the counter said that they would possibly move us to another unit, and have someone from maintenance help with our luggage and groceries that we had purchased. After a few minutes the girl came back and said that they didn't have any of the same bedding in any of the other towers, and that if they were to move us that they would charge us an additional cleaning fee! I told her I didn't think so, that the unit we paid for was supposed to be clean and that we would not pay for another cleaning fee. She said she would send housekeeping back to the unit, to correct the situation. This of course took time from our vacation. The housekeeping lady was very nice but spoke very little english. She was unable to move the glass piece over the table and my husband had to lift it for her to clean. They also sent a gentleman to spray fabreeze all over. The housekeeper said that the unit had not been rented in a while so it gets dirty. The next day we had maintenance back to repair the light in the laundry room and to check the mold on the shower curtains and the leak in the closet. He said that the closet wasn't leaking and that it was old damage, and he would see about them sending up new liners for the showers. We never received new liners, the following day they had two more women come and bleach the shower curtains. When you pay this kind of money for a unit, you at the very least expect it to be clean, not to mention this took time away from our precious vacation. We have always loved Portofino as a resort, but the management company is not overseeing the facility as it once did. There are suppose to be specific areas for owners with animals to walk them. We found dog feces in common areas that small children may have walked through. There was broken glass in a parking area, the dumpsters where we parked in the enclosed garage smelled horribly. We were also grossly misinformed regarding the operation of Portofino I the boat at the resort. I was told upon booking that the boat would be operating daily for not only dolphin cruises but for trips back and forth to the boardwalk. When we stayed here years ago the boat would operate in the evening as well as during the day so that you could go over and have dinner and come back. This was not the case. The first day of the dolphin cruise we were told upon our arrival that it had been cancelled due to weather. The boat didn't run again for at least three days. So we only got to go out on the boat one time our whole trip even though we had paid for this package. I also thought that the pools were dirty and not maintained the way that they should be. I also requested a phone call from Stephanie the very first day we checked in and never received one. I had to call her myself to speak with her directly and for all of the trouble she provided us with a voucher for three pizza's. I will say that the one thing that this resort still has going for it is most of its employees. Everyone we dealt with from adventure cove, to the kayaks, to the beach chairs and umbrellas, to the staff on the dolphin cruise were awesome! They were always very friendly and wanted to know how our day was and when they would see us again. These employees should be applauded for their customer service skills. The resort is still one of the most beautiful places we have visited and it's in a fabulous location but they seem to be skipping some very important details! Sadly, I think that falls onto the management staff and they need to make an effort to make sure that things are being taken care of.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We drove down from Texas on a whim and we were sooo happy we did! These are condos so you need to bring groceries and condiments which is great when you have kiddos! One side is the bay and the other side is the ocean. The ocean is beautiful and the staff are warm and friendly. Our room came with a round of golf and a free dolphin cruise which was soooo much fun. We are sad to leave. Btw I am a stickler for cleanliness and it was spotless!

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed in Tower 1 2br. Kitchen, living room, master bedroom and bathrooms all in great condition. Super clean. 2nd bedroom twin beds were a bit worn (mattress and bedding) but the view was awesome. Free dolphin cruise was great, about 3hrs, captain let the kids take turns "driving." Big pools at the lifestyle center, nice quieter ones at each tower. The kids loved the s'mores but u have to pay extra. Well kept grounds, short walk to the beach even with kids (u can always have the trolley take u from your tower lobby to the front gate if your tower is farther inside the complex). Only minuses: slow elevators and the winding narrow parking deck (go slow).
Lots of fun stuff for all ages. Would not stay here if you're looking for small, cozy retreat. Great for big family vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Portofino Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!