“Beautiful Condo/Horrible Service-Don't Get Married Here” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
Denver, Colorado
“Beautiful Condo/Horrible Service-Don't Get Married Here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

What a beautiful condo we rented out. It was my sister's wedding and the entire family was booked in the same tower but on different floors as requested.

Two bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, full kitchen with dishes and updated appliances, satellite tv, and a GREAT view in every room!

I'd be more than happy to rank this hotel with five stars if it wasn't for the absolute HORRENDOUS service we received from EVERY employee in the resort.

Where to even start?

The half an hour check in when I was first in line that included no information on my premium package and where I was reused my wrist band for the first time for the Adventure Pass that was purchased for me by the bride and groom, apparently the clerk at the desk had no information on it.

The wedding planner that was hired from the resort that did NOTHING for us. We had to find our own florist, officiant, and photographer and explain several times information that had not only been outlined in the signed contract but over several emails. We were also stood-up for a meeting with her the day before the wedding!

The attitude from the lady working the juice/coffee bar in the spa area about taking cash. We're sorry we didn't know, because NO ONE told us when we checked in, but instead of giving us an attitude perhaps she could have explained we could use our rooms keys to charge and again that we would get a discount with our package instead of just being completely rude.

Again trying to get our Adventure Pack wrist bands, we were told we needed the groom to call the front desk. Apparently they needed a list of people allowed to pick up the bands. Perhaps someone could have told him that when he bought them so I didn't have to call my brother-in-law on the golf course and ask him to phone the front desk...whose line was BUSY FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES. Seriously guys?

The people at the site for using the Adventure pack. Some marked with resort t-shirts, one girl just in a black bathing suit not speaking but staring at me until I asked, "do you work here?" and got a snotty, "yeeeeeah"....how would I know that lady in plain bathing suit standing on beach not behind desk?

And then there was the day of check-out where I was locked out of my room before the check out time. I was so pleased to have to run across the resort, in the POURING RAIN, with NO SHOES ON, so I could get my things out of room because I made the dire mistake of going downstairs for a soda an hour before check out.

Who can you talk to about these problems? Apparently no one. They give you a business card for a person that appears to never be on site and who doesn't return voice mails.

Horrific staff that a beautiful property can't make up for up. These guys don't know what hand is doing what. I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Rising Sun, MD.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We booked our stay directly through Portofino reservations. We were in tower one unit 1801, we arrived on 8/22 and checked out on 8/30. I specifically picked our condo online due to the bedding situation in the condo, and I was told at the time that it had been completely redone. Upon check in we found our unit to be very dirty. Grease all over the microwave and refrigerator. Hairs underneath the glass piece over the dining table. Partially used sample bottles of shampoo, a leak that had bubbled the wall in one of the closets, a light out in the laundry room, hairs on the sheets and an overall musty smell. Needless to say we were extremely unhappy about the situation. We went down to the front desk to be told my the girl at the counter that she would speak to her manager Stephanie. While she was in the back with Stephanie the gentleman at the counter said that they would possibly move us to another unit, and have someone from maintenance help with our luggage and groceries that we had purchased. After a few minutes the girl came back and said that they didn't have any of the same bedding in any of the other towers, and that if they were to move us that they would charge us an additional cleaning fee! I told her I didn't think so, that the unit we paid for was supposed to be clean and that we would not pay for another cleaning fee. She said she would send housekeeping back to the unit, to correct the situation. This of course took time from our vacation. The housekeeping lady was very nice but spoke very little english. She was unable to move the glass piece over the table and my husband had to lift it for her to clean. They also sent a gentleman to spray fabreeze all over. The housekeeper said that the unit had not been rented in a while so it gets dirty. The next day we had maintenance back to repair the light in the laundry room and to check the mold on the shower curtains and the leak in the closet. He said that the closet wasn't leaking and that it was old damage, and he would see about them sending up new liners for the showers. We never received new liners, the following day they had two more women come and bleach the shower curtains. When you pay this kind of money for a unit, you at the very least expect it to be clean, not to mention this took time away from our precious vacation. We have always loved Portofino as a resort, but the management company is not overseeing the facility as it once did. There are suppose to be specific areas for owners with animals to walk them. We found dog feces in common areas that small children may have walked through. There was broken glass in a parking area, the dumpsters where we parked in the enclosed garage smelled horribly. We were also grossly misinformed regarding the operation of Portofino I the boat at the resort. I was told upon booking that the boat would be operating daily for not only dolphin cruises but for trips back and forth to the boardwalk. When we stayed here years ago the boat would operate in the evening as well as during the day so that you could go over and have dinner and come back. This was not the case. The first day of the dolphin cruise we were told upon our arrival that it had been cancelled due to weather. The boat didn't run again for at least three days. So we only got to go out on the boat one time our whole trip even though we had paid for this package. I also thought that the pools were dirty and not maintained the way that they should be. I also requested a phone call from Stephanie the very first day we checked in and never received one. I had to call her myself to speak with her directly and for all of the trouble she provided us with a voucher for three pizza's. I will say that the one thing that this resort still has going for it is most of its employees. Everyone we dealt with from adventure cove, to the kayaks, to the beach chairs and umbrellas, to the staff on the dolphin cruise were awesome! They were always very friendly and wanted to know how our day was and when they would see us again. These employees should be applauded for their customer service skills. The resort is still one of the most beautiful places we have visited and it's in a fabulous location but they seem to be skipping some very important details! Sadly, I think that falls onto the management staff and they need to make an effort to make sure that things are being taken care of.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We drove down from Texas on a whim and we were sooo happy we did! These are condos so you need to bring groceries and condiments which is great when you have kiddos! One side is the bay and the other side is the ocean. The ocean is beautiful and the staff are warm and friendly. Our room came with a round of golf and a free dolphin cruise which was soooo much fun. We are sad to leave. Btw I am a stickler for cleanliness and it was spotless!

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed in Tower 1 2br. Kitchen, living room, master bedroom and bathrooms all in great condition. Super clean. 2nd bedroom twin beds were a bit worn (mattress and bedding) but the view was awesome. Free dolphin cruise was great, about 3hrs, captain let the kids take turns "driving." Big pools at the lifestyle center, nice quieter ones at each tower. The kids loved the s'mores but u have to pay extra. Well kept grounds, short walk to the beach even with kids (u can always have the trolley take u from your tower lobby to the front gate if your tower is farther inside the complex). Only minuses: slow elevators and the winding narrow parking deck (go slow).
Lots of fun stuff for all ages. Would not stay here if you're looking for small, cozy retreat. Great for big family vacation.

Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our third stay at Portofino and it will be our last! Although the property was nice and clean our unit was terrible. Stains on pillows, no bedspreads, no extra pillows, broken glass on picture hanging, furniture in disrepair, remotes not working, not adequate seating on balcony. At the prices they charge the units should be in perfect condition!!

West Chester, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Portofino is a nice resort. Great location and fantastic views of the gulf and the sound. We were in I-1902 and it was filthy. The bed linens were dirty and the duvet and pillow shams had visible stains. The master shower had significant amounts of mold and mildew. It was gross. We booked through Wyndham Vacation Rentals - Resort Quest. They changed the linen and dry cleaned the duvet and shams. They did send someone to clean the bathroom. The check in process with Resort Quest was tedious, cumbersome and frustrating. Given the price we paid for a week on the beach, it did not meet our expectations.

Room Tip: Room I-1902 had fantastic sunset views during August.
McAllen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

1) If you like "big" then you are great, I like small ie not the giant 60 floor hotels,this is big. doesn't feel like a cattle call, thankfully, but its not intimate either.
2) ask for the building in the front east or west corner, but east is a block closer, or you'll walk ALOT to the beach
3) beach chairs are a commodity , get there after 10-11 and you be in the second or third row from seeing the water
4) if you are traveling with a family they are good for two and three bedroom condos which are much cheaper than two or three rooms at all the rest of the hotels
5) lots of stuff to rent from jet skis to scooters, they do have it all to rent. They have a spa and restruants if you don't want to leave, waiters for food and drink on the beach, all billed to room no need to bring cash.

Room Tip: Choose tower closest to road, has waayyy shorter walk to beach than all the rest.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Portofino Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!