“When things go down hill..........” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Portofino Dr, Pensacola Beach, FL 32561   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in Pensacola Beach
Dallas
“When things go down hill..........”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

September 2011 we rented TWO Gulf front 3 bedroom units for a month. This was not our first visit to Portofino. The last time we stayed everything was perfect, not this time. I am just going to list everything wrong with both units. Beds HORRIBLE (no mattress protectors no blankets, dirty stained bed spreads, mattresses that were sunk in the middle and rock hard. Chipped paint everywhere, pantry locked so food had to go all over counters for a month, cracked glass cook top, dust on plants you could see across the room, track lighting with special light bulbs that the majority were burned out, custom sectional(filthy) Not enough towels for unit washing constantly, locked closets besides owners closet, silverfish, ants, filthy fronts of kitchen cabinets, sand filled common hallways, a fire alarm beeping 24 hours a day, discussed this with a resident only to be told it had been going off since June. I spent the first week cleaning and cleaning it is a shame to pay for gulf front views with windows so filthy you couldn't see out, we cleaned port hole views as a joke. I complained so much the staff would quiver when they saw me coming. Pool had some sort of scum floating in it for days. The best part after pitching such a fit I went home for a weekend staff said they would come in and clean, I had called down for mattress protectors, blankets for 10 beds (had to wash it all) another wasted day of my vacation when we came back they had stripped all the beds and took the mattress protectors and blankets and extra clean towels I had washed, even though I told them directly not to touch the beds. I took pics of everything! I know that the owners are responsible for maintaining the units, however they should also tell the owners until certain things are repaired they will not rent out the unit. Everything is now extra in the resort and $$$.

Room Tip: I suggest before you except a unit you check it out completely including laying on the bed and check...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

274 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We found this resort by luck! We spoke with the owner about her 3 bedroom condo in Gulf Shores. She informed us that it was booked but would we consider her Florida condo. She gave us the website and wow was it beautiful. So here we are going on our 7th and final day. This condo was above expectations and the employees have been super friendly. They will stand and talk to you like you have known them forever. Wouldn't change a thing about the condo! We were in the 4th Tower 7th floor. Beds were so comfortable. Furniture was amazingly comfy as was the balcony furniture. Grilled steaks one day on the electric grill built into the balcony. Pool was great. Short walk to beach. Was afraid not being directly on the beach wouldn't be as nice but it was! The resort had a Dive In Movie Wed night at the Main outside pools at the Lifestyle Center. Finding Nemo is great from inside the pool and hot tub! I dread leaving tomorrow but I guess we need to get back to the real world :)

Room Tip: We rented directly from the owner and saved a bundle compared to renting through the resort.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Anniston, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were here in the off season. The weather was bad. We enjoyed watching Sunday football at the outdoor restaurant. Everyone was very nice, from the gate guard to the wait staff. Regular tenants were also nice. The condo was beautiful. Ours needs MINOR work. Our view was beautiful. We enjoyed the exercise room, the hot tubs and the atmosphere as we walked around the area. It is off the beaten path, but close to a lot of attractions. My friends told me I would love it. They were right.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in tower 1 on the 19th floor. Found the rental on frbo.com. the owner was very pleasant to deal with and the condo was beautifully decorated. Not overdone...not too minimalistic....very tasteful. Our Only complaints 're: the space itself was that it was in need of paint and carpets needed cleaning or replacing. Berber at the beach. Eek. And the bed in the master bedroom was like sleeping on a board. The last night we absolutely could not sleep in it again. We were so sore from all week. We slept on the sofa and couch. This was our honeymoon too. I would (will) advise the owner on these items too. Apparently the other two rooms the beds were very comfy. We only dined at the resort the first night. The service was very slow...big concert weekend...thought they could've been better staffed, but our food was delicious. The grounds were well kept and the surroundings...views were beautiful. We too, happened to have the best weather that Pensacola has had in a really long time the whole week we were there.
Would definitely go back...most certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012
Panama city beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Portofino Resort is awesome! Our room was huge and the view from all sides was perfect! The front desk staff where wonderful, they were nice and helpful too! Walking through the property everyone said hello! The pool/bar area is so pretty I did not want to leave. The boat over to the festival was fun and a great way to get to the party, just wish it would have made 1 more trip around 3am.... LOL
The beach was pretty and the water was crystal clear and warm. We could not have asked for a better weekend! My whole crew was appreciative and grateful for the time we spent there! I highly recommend this resort to anyone that can get there.....

Room Tip: all rooms are top notch!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I fell in love with the Portofino the very first time I stayed in a condo there! In 2006 my family got offered a free weeks stay at our friends condo at the Portofino! It was so beautiful and relaxing! My family and I travel all the time and have stayed many places and the Portofino is the only place I feel at home in! These are condos so people must understand you have to buy your own food and cleaning supplies! We try to come stay at the Portofino at least twice a year! It's our home away from home!

• Stayed May 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

My family and I have stayed at the resort twice this summer. We stayed in June and the beach service was wonderful. We enjoyed spending time relaxing on the beach all day and the service was amazing. The staff were so helpful, especially the manager of the beach. I cant say the same after our most recent trip. We checked in late Tuesday and hit the beach first thing Wednesday. The manager was no longer an employee and let me tell you the service was terrible. You could tell no one cared that we were spending good $ on our short vacation. They were rude, and to be honest quite lazy compared to the service we received in June. We waited for over 10 minutes to get chairs on the beach, were treated like an inconvenience more than anything. I asked to speak to the manager and the attendant told me they recently let their manager go and the "director" would be able to answer Amy questions/ comments. Well the director was no where to be found and never returned my phone call. Bottom line, when you spend a lot of money to stay at a resort that dotes on the fact they're a "resort" you expect that experience. I would of had better service and hospitality staying at a motel 8.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Portofino Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!