“Service is not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars

Portofino Island Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Portofino Dr, Pensacola Beach, FL 32561   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
“Service is not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

My family and I have stayed at the resort twice this summer. We stayed in June and the beach service was wonderful. We enjoyed spending time relaxing on the beach all day and the service was amazing. The staff were so helpful, especially the manager of the beach. I cant say the same after our most recent trip. We checked in late Tuesday and hit the beach first thing Wednesday. The manager was no longer an employee and let me tell you the service was terrible. You could tell no one cared that we were spending good $ on our short vacation. They were rude, and to be honest quite lazy compared to the service we received in June. We waited for over 10 minutes to get chairs on the beach, were treated like an inconvenience more than anything. I asked to speak to the manager and the attendant told me they recently let their manager go and the "director" would be able to answer Amy questions/ comments. Well the director was no where to be found and never returned my phone call. Bottom line, when you spend a lot of money to stay at a resort that dotes on the fact they're a "resort" you expect that experience. I would of had better service and hospitality staying at a motel 8.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This was my 2nd stay at this resort...the 1st time back 2007. The property just gets better, over time. They added a variety of extra activities, that enhanced our stay. Many, many kid things to do. If you can, do the Adventure package... even if your kids are too old or uninterested in the infalatables in the bay, they'll love access to the surfboards, wake boards, bikes, etc. A nominal fee to pay. The Beach setups daily...is amazing! Rent crazy golf carts while there... Adds to the fun. Be sure and walk down the bay side, and toward the "protected wildlife area" as far as you can. Its gets beautiful, and private with a number of little water pooled areas... its about a 20-30 min walk, via the water line of the bay. Parasailing is cheaper at the Boardwalk, vs on property and just as good. These condo's are absolutely beautiful, and if you stay in tower 3...you'll have unobstructed view of the east beach of Pensacola Beach and the ocean. You'll actually feel like you're in an island far from land! We typically go to the market in town, and grab some steaks and cook outside on the terrace at least one night, on their electric bbq grill! Just fabulous! We will return!

Room Tip: I think ocean side, tower 3 has the absolute best view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had an awesome time, we had a group of about 40 people staying in multiple rooms at Portofino. We had a blast. Everyone on the staff was REALLY nice & the service at the main pool was AWESOME!
The only problem we had was the guy that lives in tower #2 Unit 1204....He basically stalked us in the elevator/hallway. He scrame at us like we were children, for laughing in the hallway at 11:00am. We were far from being loud, but as I am sure he knows, IT DOES ECHO, DUH! When we apologized to him, he continued to lecture us & as he walked off & I again said I was sorry...He said, "Yeah, I know you are Sorry!" Then the next day, he copied a list of the rules & taped it on our door. We called the front desk to see if they had put the note & they knew nothing about it. They said that laughing or talking in the hallway at that time is NOT a problem. Unfortunately we ran into the guy again a couple of days later & once we got back to our room we received a call from him, SCREAMING at one of our guest & she told him to hold on where he could speak to My husband or myself & he hung up before we could get to the phone. We reported it to the front desk again & I am not sure where it went from there. We were leaving the next morning, so who knows. I see someone else had a run in with him at the same time we were staying there....Hmmmmm, guess they can't control this guy. We were there 7/28-8/4/12.
WE will go back, but REFUSE to stay on the 12th floor of tower 2. Had the guy not been in the hallway, he would have NEVER heard us laughing or talking. And I was told he leaves his door open & screams at everyone. He is VERY RUDE & obviously needs to get medication or seek help for his anger issues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Found this place here on TripAdvisor and was a little nervous about booking after reading some of the comments. Check-in was easy and the representative was very helpful and explained everything about the resort. The condo was AMAZING!! The bay/sound view pool, bar/lounge area, and beach were all great! Will definitely be back! Perfect for a family or friends' getaway!!

Lubbock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Recently spent a week at Portofino. Condo we booked in Tower 5 had a water leak in master with soggy carpet and mildew smell. We were moved to another condo after a few nights. No leak, but this master had one of the worst beds with a cheap, caved-in, back-busting mattress. I actually wound up sleeping on the sofa bed. This is really unacceptable for the amount we paid and would think bedding would at least match quality of a cheaper motel.

However, view in room was amazing and location is subperb. The beach is beautiful, pool and spa facilities are outstanding and we really loved all the activities on the Sound. Kids had a great time and we had a good time overall.

Room Tip: If sleep is important, might try out the beds before commiting to a condo. Beds seem to vary by unit...
Elyria, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I am currently writing this review as I sit in the Portofino condo we're renting. Let me just say.. I almost did not come here because of reviews that said the place was dirty or the employees were rude. I have NOT found that the case at all. The overall cleanliness of the resort is really top notch. And the staff is very friendly. Even workers that are doing lawn maintenance stop and say hello and tell you to have a nice day. Also, we are renting from an individual owner and not through a rental company which may account for our condo being spotless as well.

A little about the grounds. There are 5 towers and a main "Lifestyle" building. The grounds are meticulously maintained. The pools never seem to be dirty. The roads in the facility are all brick pavers as well as all the sidewalks. Very nice touch. There are 8.. yes 8 pools at the resort. As I said, there are five towers, each towers has it's own pool. A very good sized pool, and a hot tub. The main Lifestyle building has 3 pools. Two separate outdoor pools basically right next to each other.. and a very large indoor pool that is mainly used by people swimming laps.

As other have said on their reviews... everything is extra. They don't miss a chance to sell you something. They even have employees "patrol" the beaches carrying bottles of over priced sodas. But, it's really not a big deal.. you either choose to buy it or don't.

Again.. I've raved about the employees, the condo, and the grounds... why am I giving only 3 stars??? Because of the kids... they are everywhere. I'm 42 years old, and my wife is 40.. so it's not like we're just old "fuddy duddys". And.. we have children who are now 19 and 21 (who accompanied us). But, we still remember what it was like when they were little kids. So, just a little background so everyone doesn't just assume we didn't have kids so we "don't know what it's like".
But there are kids everywhere... the "adults" with those kids pretty much don't seem to care what those kids are doing as long as they are not bothering them. You can't even relax in a hot tub without 5 or 6 kids jumping in and out of the hot tub with you, as in CONSTANTLY jumping in and out. You would THINK when there is a couple sitting quietly, trying to enjoy the sun and the hot tub.. and your kids are just constantly JUMPING in and out of the hot tub, that you would tell your kids to get out of the hot tub (that they're basically treating as a kiddie pool) and let the couple enjoy themselves. But no.. they don't... they just sit there and watch their little angels have "fun" at the expense of others. I could go on and on about the kids and the complete lack of control the parents have for these kids. Sometimes you're just awe-struck on what people let their kids do. And.. of course you're just supposed to laugh politely as their kids run a muck. So.. my biggest complaint of the Portofino resort would be.... you have EIGHT pools... you can't make ONE of them adult only?? As nice as everything is.. and it is nice... I would not come back to this resort. I mean.. if I were at a Disney World resort... I would expect this and just roll with it. But it's not Disney World. It's supposed to be a higher end resort.

As I said.. I'm still here at Portofino. I have been here 7 days, so I have a pretty good sample size.

bham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

If you are looking for a place to vacation and you don't want to ever have to leave the Resort, this is it! From the wonderfully decorated condos to the restaurant to the spa/gym, you will be set for a perfect vacation! Everything is so convenient. There are 5 towers. It looked like they all had great views. Our Tower 5 view was AMAZING- perfect ocean view AND views of the Bay!

Our 2 br condo was fully stocked. 3TVs, lg dining room table, comfortable sleeper sofa. Huge master suite with jacuzzi tub!

Each Tower has its own pool, and there is a large lagoon style pool behind the spa/gym center on the Bayside. There is a bar and restaurant, you can rent kayaks, paddleboards, catamarans, etc. There is also a huge floating playground on the bay- tons of fun!

Beach side, there beach umbrella and chair service, drink service and you can rent kayaks, paddleboards, etc!

This resort is well worth the $$!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Portofino Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!