“Great Vacation - Other than the JERK in Tower 2 #1204” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Portofino Dr, Pensacola Beach, FL 32561   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 10 hotels in Pensacola Beach
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
“Great Vacation - Other than the JERK in Tower 2 #1204”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We had an awesome time, we had a group of about 40 people staying in multiple rooms at Portofino. We had a blast. Everyone on the staff was REALLY nice & the service at the main pool was AWESOME!
The only problem we had was the guy that lives in tower #2 Unit 1204....He basically stalked us in the elevator/hallway. He scrame at us like we were children, for laughing in the hallway at 11:00am. We were far from being loud, but as I am sure he knows, IT DOES ECHO, DUH! When we apologized to him, he continued to lecture us & as he walked off & I again said I was sorry...He said, "Yeah, I know you are Sorry!" Then the next day, he copied a list of the rules & taped it on our door. We called the front desk to see if they had put the note & they knew nothing about it. They said that laughing or talking in the hallway at that time is NOT a problem. Unfortunately we ran into the guy again a couple of days later & once we got back to our room we received a call from him, SCREAMING at one of our guest & she told him to hold on where he could speak to My husband or myself & he hung up before we could get to the phone. We reported it to the front desk again & I am not sure where it went from there. We were leaving the next morning, so who knows. I see someone else had a run in with him at the same time we were staying there....Hmmmmm, guess they can't control this guy. We were there 7/28-8/4/12.
WE will go back, but REFUSE to stay on the 12th floor of tower 2. Had the guy not been in the hallway, he would have NEVER heard us laughing or talking. And I was told he leaves his door open & screams at everyone. He is VERY RUDE & obviously needs to get medication or seek help for his anger issues.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Found this place here on TripAdvisor and was a little nervous about booking after reading some of the comments. Check-in was easy and the representative was very helpful and explained everything about the resort. The condo was AMAZING!! The bay/sound view pool, bar/lounge area, and beach were all great! Will definitely be back! Perfect for a family or friends' getaway!!

San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Recently spent a week at Portofino. Condo we booked in Tower 5 had a water leak in master with soggy carpet and mildew smell. We were moved to another condo after a few nights. No leak, but this master had one of the worst beds with a cheap, caved-in, back-busting mattress. I actually wound up sleeping on the sofa bed. This is really unacceptable for the amount we paid and would think bedding would at least match quality of a cheaper motel.

However, view in room was amazing and location is subperb. The beach is beautiful, pool and spa facilities are outstanding and we really loved all the activities on the Sound. Kids had a great time and we had a good time overall.

Room Tip: If sleep is important, might try out the beds before commiting to a condo. Beds seem to vary by unit...
Elyria, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I am currently writing this review as I sit in the Portofino condo we're renting. Let me just say.. I almost did not come here because of reviews that said the place was dirty or the employees were rude. I have NOT found that the case at all. The overall cleanliness of the resort is really top notch. And the staff is very friendly. Even workers that are doing lawn maintenance stop and say hello and tell you to have a nice day. Also, we are renting from an individual owner and not through a rental company which may account for our condo being spotless as well.

A little about the grounds. There are 5 towers and a main "Lifestyle" building. The grounds are meticulously maintained. The pools never seem to be dirty. The roads in the facility are all brick pavers as well as all the sidewalks. Very nice touch. There are 8.. yes 8 pools at the resort. As I said, there are five towers, each towers has it's own pool. A very good sized pool, and a hot tub. The main Lifestyle building has 3 pools. Two separate outdoor pools basically right next to each other.. and a very large indoor pool that is mainly used by people swimming laps.

As other have said on their reviews... everything is extra. They don't miss a chance to sell you something. They even have employees "patrol" the beaches carrying bottles of over priced sodas. But, it's really not a big deal.. you either choose to buy it or don't.

Again.. I've raved about the employees, the condo, and the grounds... why am I giving only 3 stars??? Because of the kids... they are everywhere. I'm 42 years old, and my wife is 40.. so it's not like we're just old "fuddy duddys". And.. we have children who are now 19 and 21 (who accompanied us). But, we still remember what it was like when they were little kids. So, just a little background so everyone doesn't just assume we didn't have kids so we "don't know what it's like".
But there are kids everywhere... the "adults" with those kids pretty much don't seem to care what those kids are doing as long as they are not bothering them. You can't even relax in a hot tub without 5 or 6 kids jumping in and out of the hot tub with you, as in CONSTANTLY jumping in and out. You would THINK when there is a couple sitting quietly, trying to enjoy the sun and the hot tub.. and your kids are just constantly JUMPING in and out of the hot tub, that you would tell your kids to get out of the hot tub (that they're basically treating as a kiddie pool) and let the couple enjoy themselves. But no.. they don't... they just sit there and watch their little angels have "fun" at the expense of others. I could go on and on about the kids and the complete lack of control the parents have for these kids. Sometimes you're just awe-struck on what people let their kids do. And.. of course you're just supposed to laugh politely as their kids run a muck. So.. my biggest complaint of the Portofino resort would be.... you have EIGHT pools... you can't make ONE of them adult only?? As nice as everything is.. and it is nice... I would not come back to this resort. I mean.. if I were at a Disney World resort... I would expect this and just roll with it. But it's not Disney World. It's supposed to be a higher end resort.

As I said.. I'm still here at Portofino. I have been here 7 days, so I have a pretty good sample size.

bham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

If you are looking for a place to vacation and you don't want to ever have to leave the Resort, this is it! From the wonderfully decorated condos to the restaurant to the spa/gym, you will be set for a perfect vacation! Everything is so convenient. There are 5 towers. It looked like they all had great views. Our Tower 5 view was AMAZING- perfect ocean view AND views of the Bay!

Our 2 br condo was fully stocked. 3TVs, lg dining room table, comfortable sleeper sofa. Huge master suite with jacuzzi tub!

Each Tower has its own pool, and there is a large lagoon style pool behind the spa/gym center on the Bayside. There is a bar and restaurant, you can rent kayaks, paddleboards, catamarans, etc. There is also a huge floating playground on the bay- tons of fun!

Beach side, there beach umbrella and chair service, drink service and you can rent kayaks, paddleboards, etc!

This resort is well worth the $$!

alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised at the accomodations we had in Tower 3 which is the most conveniently located tower of the 5. Its easy access to pool and beach are great. We had a two bedroom penthouse which was Very large with 3 tv's and a dining room table and den with balcony which overlooked the Sound. There is a shuttle to take you to the Boardwalk that is on time and comfortable. Tennis courts very nice and the beach pristinely beautiful! The Portofino is really located in Gulf Breeze and gets its name from the light and comfortable breeze from the Gulf. A wonderful hidden gem on the beach. I highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2012
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here twice and was looking forward to this trip. I do not mind paying what is charged because of the quality of the condo. I love being able to forget about my troubles and spend a week in paradise. This stay started off as wonderful as the previous stays except for an angry man in tower 2. I watched him repremand an adult in the parking garage for being too loud and another person at the elevator. I ignored this because I know that this is some people's home and have always remembered that and kept quiet as to not disturb anyone. The morning that I was set to leave I decided to take my daughters out. We had planned to go to the beach but changed our mind when we saw another family swimming in the pool. The gate was wide open so we went in and the girls sat on the steps in the pool. We were there for about 10 minutes and during that time said hi to many employes that passed us. I was reading a book while my girls played when the man that I had previously witnesses fuss at people walked past. I waved and he turned around and said come to the gate. I went to the gate and he began to scream at me. My children were scared and I was stunned. He said that the pool did not open for another 30 minutes and that I just thought I was better than everyone else and did not follow rules. I asked him why he was being rude and explained that I did not know the pool was not open. He said that I was wrong and I probably speed and break laws. My 3 year old daughter had to be comforted by my older child. He stormed away still screaming at me. Shaken I stopped the next employe to tell him what had occurred and he said oh the tall man with the dog yea he gets like that sometimes but y'all are fine not hurting anything. I am so offended that I was treated like this and it is okay because the man is an owner. I will not be spending what I usually spend to stay at a property that thinks it is okay for me to be attacked in front of my children. It is ashame because we have come to like the resort and even considered buying a condo. I just don't understand why the gates would not be locked. I did not see the sign stating when the pool was open because the door was wide open. It seems that all people owner or renter would have the right not to be treated the way I was treated.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Portofino Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!