“Stay clear!!!!!!! Disasterous Hotel 2007” 1 of 5 stars

Save with Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Pensacola Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indiana
“Stay clear!!!!!!! Disasterous Hotel 2007”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

After reading many of the reviews I felt comfortable booking this hotel but don't make the same mistake I did.
When I pulled in the hotel the parking lot and went to park the parking space had a huge hole in the space that would have ruined the front on my car had I not seen it in time. It only gets worse...
I went into the lobby which was a huge construction site. Totally gutted with holes in the floor wires coming out - none of which was marked. I pointed it out to one of the employees who just shrugged his shoulder. The lobby was covered with dust and dirt. You were pointed to go back out the front door into a side door and there you found a small window with a long line. I stood in line to find out that I had wrongly been booked in a room on the bay side not gulf side. I was told I could be upgraded but it would cost me another 50 bucks a night. So I decided to go take a look at the room and see if it was something I could live with.
On my way to the room I only was further disappointed by the construction mess. The hall to my room was littered with all kinds of construction debree. The mess is unbelievable - don't be fooled it is not a little mess. It's a disaster!
The room was very small and cramped and the construction noise unbelievable. I had no intention of spending my vacation in this room. I called the front desk and they said the same thing - they would upgrade me for a higher rate - otherwise they would not move me. I was basically stuck - or held ransome for another location. They wouldn't even move me floors even though they admitted there were other options.
So thinking the Hilton Customer Service Line would be helpful I called them. I actually got a very friendly lady who said she would place a call to the manager and get this straightened out. After being on hold 20 minutes she came back and said the manager wouldn't change his mind and since Hilton Hotels were independantly owned there wasn't anything she could do. I told her the Hilton name was on the hotel so I would suspect there was something they could do! I asked to speak to her supervisor for help and she advised me that it was after 5 and the supervisor was gone. She said they would call me the next am and I have never heard from them.

The hotel pool area is a total disaster. The hot tub doesn't work. They are building a tall addition to the hotel which is basically a high rise shell attached to the north with crains and all the construction noise you can imagine. The staff was very unfriendly and the manager a total jerk. Basically he had no interest in my concerns and I was surprised that the Hilton Customer Service was useless.
I checked out moved down to the Springhill Suites. The staff was friendly, the hotel in excellant shape and the rooms great. The 3 pools were so nice and enjoyable. There's a pool bar with more friendly staff. Breakfast was hot and plentiful. Coffee always fresh throughout the evening. The beach is nice and far enough from the noise at the Hilton.
Save yourself the trouble stay at the Springhill Suites and take a walk down the beach and pass by the Hilton... You will be thrilled you didn't stay there.

• Liked — Leaving!
  • Disliked — Don't know where to start!!!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
White Plains, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

I booked this hotel as I wanted a relaxing vacation while visiting my daughter in Pensacola. I am an active person and was especially interested in the indoor pool. Well, the pool was impossible to swim in. So tiny I felt as if I was in a goldfish bowl. The fitness center was well below average. My husband loves starbucks coffee in the morning and good food, so another reason I booked this hotel was because I heard it had a great restaurant and a starbucks. I did not realize the hotel was under renovation. The restaurant had been moved to the lobby, completely devoid of ambience, and, of course, no starbucks. For a normally priced hotel I would not have felt so bad, but for $269 a night I was expecting a lot better. I think this amount was excessive in light of the fact that we were awoken every morning to the sound of drilling, the outdoor pool was half roped off, and the sight of construction everywhere was distasteful. I tried to cancel when I found out what the hotel was like, but the cancellation policy was 72 hours, so it would not have been plausible. Overall, not a good experience. I will not stay there again.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — construction/advertised high speed internet did not work but had to pay $10 for it anyway/pool
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pensacola Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2006

First off, please note I'm a Pensacola native and absolutely love this beach! We traveled to Pensacola to celebrate Christmas with relatives and booked the Hilton via their website. The website does NOT accurately portray the current state of the hotel. The pictures are outdated and do not reflect the major expansion construction going on which includes a major condominium being attached (via choice) to the hotel. To this end, we were awakened each morning at 6:30am by the jackhammers outside. Not very pleasant, considering we paid extra for a gulf front room and could not enjoy any time on our balcony due to the noise and construction workers. The large exterior pool was drained, as they are additionally extending the restaurant/lounge. The hotel staff attempted to shamefully blame the construction noise on post 2004 Hurricane Ivan construction knowing full well the current construction project was centered on adding an additional huge tower for RESIDENTIAL SALES next year (advertised in the hotel lobby)and had absolutely nothing to do with any hurricane damage. Neither the website nor the lobby had anything posted regarding the major construction and to be expected noise. Additionally, despite our mentioning that it might be both good business practice and professional courtesy to place a sign stating such no effort was made to help inform new guests upon check-in. The staff made no effort to offer changing our room or comp'ing our stay. The maid service was substandard with only bed making and clean bath towels provided. We were given neither fresh coffee, mugs, glassware or hand towels on several mornings. To top things off, the hotel did NOT HAVE HOT WATER on two of our seven night stays. This is in NO WAY the level of professional service we expect and have enjoyed from Hilton Hotels in other areas in the past. After spending a week there...yeah, we should have probably changed hotels, but with the holiday bustle...we errantly decided to suck it up....what a mistake. The front desk staff offered compensation at a mere $20 credit...that's based on an $800 bill. Are you kidding??? On the only bright side, the hotel lounge provides quality and friendly service and the restaurant has excellent food. However, due to the lack of professionalism, service and certainly little understanding on customer compensation for a definitely poor stay, especially during the holidays, we will not be able to stay or recommend this hotel in the future.

Stayed December 2006
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

Location is right on the beach, very nice. Friendly, helpful and efficient staff added to the pleasantness of the hotel. Restaurant food was so-so for the price, service was excellent. Parking structure limits visiblity and can be a little dangerous. Nicely done entry. Elevators are EXTREMELY slow... so don't be in a hurry. The switch needs reprogramming. (Stops to pick up people who want to go down on its way up sort of stuff is happening). Beds were adequately comfortable. There were ants in the room (quite a bit) which was somewhat annoying.
Housekeeping staff did an excellent job of keeping the rooms clean and tidy and vacuuming the ants (however there were more where they came from). Nice restaurants and entertainment within walking distance. The Beach Ball tower is two or three buildings away, and Blues by the Beach under it (I think) on Tuesday nights.
I will stay here again (vacation or business) and would recommend.

• Liked — right on the beach
  • Disliked — Ants in the room probably common problem in Pensacola Beach?
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed from Sept. 8th to the 11th. We absolutely loved the entire experience. It was our first time coming to Pensacola. Staying at this hotel was great. Friendly staff, clean environment. I didn't want to leave Monday morning. The view was beautiful, the pools are nice, and the room service was great. We never did see the whirpool / hot tub, but we were too busy to ask about it. We had a wonderful stay and will be back next year!

• Liked — The beautiful view of the beach
  • Disliked — no comment
  • Tips/Secrets — no comment
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toms River, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

I happened to be staying at the Hilton for a Conference for work recently. Between the helpful staff and the location, it felt more like I was on vacation. Very clean facility with great dining options on site. Two outdoor pools and right on the beach. The conference facility was also up there with the best. A great place all around to stay for work or pleasure.

Dallas, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2006

After many childhood visit to Panama City Beach, we decided to try Pensacola Beach. We are HHonors members and the HGI was available July 9-14 (Sun-Fri) for a good point value. We drove from Atlanta in about 5 hours. I took my mom and two boys, 12 & 13.

We crossed 2 bridges to get to the $1 toll booth onto PB. HGI was the 2nd property pass the "Beach Ball". It has a lovely lobby and the staff was very helpful. The ocean front rooms have a balcony, but the "bay side" rooms have a large window. We had a unit on the 7th (top) floor on the bay side.

It was very clean with nice sized queen beds. MW/RF/TV all worked well. Since we are Gold HH members we did get a free breakfast tickets and enjoyed this benefit. The make excellent omletts there! They also have a HH members reception one evening.

The pool area is very deluxe with a large kiddie pool area and a large free form pool. They also have a small indoor pool. It's about 60 yards to the beach. I love the sugar white sand but it can be difficult to walk on, and wheeled items WILL NOT roll! We took our own chairs and umbrella and saved the $28/day local rental fees!

There are several good restaurants near by and a mini golf for kids entertainment. We also went to the Naval Air Museum. This was also the Blue Angels Air Show weekend and we got to see the Thursday Practice show. A Great Bonus!

The only down side was they are building a condominium project that will be an addition to the property making it a full Hilton Hotel. But it wasn't so loud that it spoiled our pool time. We were dissapointed the outdoor jacuzzi was not working at all.

All in all, we have a very nice stay and plan to return in the future!

• Liked — Location and big rooms
  • Disliked — Had bay side. Balcony would have been nice
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hilton Pensacola Beach? Share your experiences!