“INTERNATIONAL TOURIST HOTEL IT IS NOT!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Alishan Shermuh International Tourist Hotel
No.50 Jhongjheng Village, Alishan Town, Chiayi County, Taiwan   |
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Chiayi County
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“INTERNATIONAL TOURIST HOTEL IT IS NOT!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The Shermuh boasts it is an international tourists... well not this one! Walk up five flights of stairs to a tiny bedroom. The bed is like sleeping on concrete, it is so hard. The walls are paper thin and bad luck if you want to sleep in past 4 am because every man and his dog gets up to go and see the sunrise, talking loudly and banging doors...grrrrr!!!!
Hot water only at certain hours and bathroom very basic. No restaurant.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Utrecht, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Shermuh Hotel. This hotel has no elevator and no restaurant. This friendly hotel offers to help with the luggage. This hotel hasn't got hot water during 24 hrs. So on every floor there was a hot water dispenser so you can fill the hot water pot (provided in the room) and there a fix times when there is hot water for shower (that wasn't an problem because you have enough time to shower). This hotel is better than the other hotels in the area.
The bed was a little bit hard but that was ok.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

My husband and I took a 6-hour car ride and arrived at the hotel about 3pm. I did an online reservation hence payment was made in full beforehand. The reception lady was expecting us and she started to feed us information in such a fast speed that I had a hard time catching up with the conversation. In summary: last train to Shermuh Forest station, buy next morning train ticket to Zhushan station for sunrise-watching, routes in the nature reserve, check-out time (11am), morning call to sunrise-watching (3am), location to our complimentary breakfast, discount coupons to the eateries at main square, NT100 discount (I don’t know where it came from, they handed us in cash).

We stayed on level 5 of the hotel and climbed up to the narrow stairway. No elevator. You will notice a white board which shows the train timing for the sunrise on every level. I also saw a water dispenser located at level 4, just before the flight of stairs to level 5.

Bed was HARD, it was like lying on a plank of wood. In-room slippers were not the disposable type. I wore it nonetheless, with my socks on. There was window to our room but all I could see were zinc roofs. Central heating system will be switched on from 7.30pm onwards until 3.30am therefore if you need a hot shower, bathe after 8pm, when the water is heated up.

There was a line of hotels along the same road, and Alishan Shermuh was situated at the end of the line. It wasn’t a bad thing because we would get to the main square with less walking (5min) though we would need to do more climbing to get to the Alishan Train Station (slope and stairs). There were benches outside the premise if you wish to take a breather.

Fuss-free check out. We handed the key to them and went off.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We visited Alishan for 2 days, staying overnight at Shermuh Hotel. The hotel was not great by the usual city dweller standards, but after seeing other hotels in the area, we concluded that it is probably one of the better and newer ones there.

Our room was on the 2nd level and note that they have no lift. They are nice enough to carry our luggages up for us, but we had to carry down on our own when we check out. The room has 2 nice big queen size bed with a small bath room with bathtub. The size of the room is comfortable for 2 of us, but like other earlier reviews, the bed is hard. They have a flat screen TV, which is quite important for a place with zero night entertainment.

There is a hot/cold water dispenser outside the room, and the hotel has fixed timing on when the hot water and heater will come on. I heard that it is already an improvement from 20years ago when they had no heater at all when they stayed at the hotels at Alishan!! Imagine sleeping with no heat when the temperature cold go minus zero (degree celcius) at night...!!

The hotel is 3mins walk away from the main touristy area, hence very convenient. You could buy a pack of yummy Taiwan instant noodles from the highest 7-11 (in elevation) in Taiwan and eat in your room at night if you crave for late night supper :p

I find the breakfast offerings at a nearby restuarant average but the fresh soya bean milk is a must try!!

I probably would stay there again if I ever visit Alishan.

Room Tip: Choose lower floors if you have heavy luggage as they do not have a lift.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

My one-night stay at this hotel was not too bad but was not impressive at all. Check-in was smooth. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. We were placed on the fifth floor. Alishan was one of the stops for our four-day trip, and with two young children, we had two heavy medium size luggage. The hotel does not have an elevator. Not a problem. The hotel staff was nice enough to bring our luggage to our room. To my surprise, the fifth floor was an addition to the original four-story building. It was not an issue until it started raining in the evening and through the night. The sound of rain drops hitting the roof was so vivid that kept me awake for a long period of time during the night. In addition, the walls must be very thin as I could hear TV, toilet noises and conversation from adjacent rooms.

The room was relatively small, just enough for two queen beds with limited space for other things. (We has a room for 4 people.) The bed was hard and very uncomfortable as described by another reviewer. The room was not exactly clean but not dirty either. The bathroom was small and the bath tub was small and made of stones/concrete, not very comfortable. Breakfast was very basic but served my purpose so I had no complaints.

The positives: the flat screen TV was nice; in-room hot/cold drinking water supply was convenient; parking was free and by the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

Shermuh looks newer and better maintained than the other establishments in the vicinity but I can't say that I had altogether a comfortable stay there. It's not dirty but it's not exactly pristine either. The floral bedcovers and curtain was reminiscent of the cheaper London B&Bs I used to stay in younger times. I like hard beds but this one's like sleeping on a wooden board (literally). Hated the bathroom, both in its configuration (no shower stall=messy wet bathroom) and upkeep (black mold on grout). BYO bedroom slippers. What they provide's shared with other guest.

Breakfast offerings at a nearby restuarant was quite pathetic but had the saving grace of my fave fresh soya bean milk which was great.

Didn't find anything at the village worth mentioning foodwise. In fact my favourite meal whilst on Alishan was the Oden at the Seven-Eleven. After discovering it, I didn't bother with restuarant food anymore.

Despite the above, I really loved Alishan. Didn't get to see the sunrise (it rained) but the rain brought the mist and the billowing clouds against the mountains were awesome. My favourite experience was at the Shen Mu Forest rail stop. Standing there alone as the mist rolled in was surreal.

Getting to Alishan (the Rail up the mountain, damaged by an earthquake, is still being repaired) is quite an experience. The highspeed train (HSR) stops at Chiayi. The free train shuttles takes you to a stop near the local train station. You are then accosted by taxi/van driver offering to take you up the mountain for NTD250 per person per trip.

Whether I would recommend this hotel to a friend really depends on the friend.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

Shermuh Hotel was a good value basic choice at alishan national park. Rooms were clean and modern, though bathroom did not have separate shower stall (not uncommon for budget hotels in Taiwan, we've found). We arrived at the park and were able to book the hotel there for less than the price advertised online, though we wouldn't recommend this during weekends and holidays. No breakfast, and coffee cost extra, though there was water (hot and cold) and tea available. Beds were hard, but we've had harder ones and we're used to it. Blankets were good and thick. Nice big tv with many channels. Staff were helpful and we were allowed to leave our luggage in the lobby while we hiked the next morning. There is a service provided where they will wake you up at 3am to see the sunrise, but at our request they did not disturb us and we were able to sleep well all through the night.

• Stayed November 2010

Been to Alishan Shermuh International Tourist Hotel? Share your experiences!