“Mon-Chasha a journey from dream to reality...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mon Chasha

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Midnapore
Mon Chasha
You added Mon Chasha to your Saves list
Village Paushi, Purba Medinipur | P.S. Bhupatinagar, Block: Bhagabanpur 2, Midnapore, India   |
New Delhi, India
“Mon-Chasha a journey from dream to reality...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Visiting Mon-chasha was an impromptu decision we took to spend the weekend while on a business trip to Kolkata ( incidentally my family was with me). One decision that had brought me closest to the kind of abode i have always dreamt of.

Despite living an apartment of a high rise in a fast paced and chaotic city, my "wish" of a home has always been ' ...may I a small house and large garden have/ And a few friends, and many books, both true, Both wise, and both delightful too!...' And there I was in Mon-Chasha with family and friends in the luxury of huts, large courtyard, garden, a pond and a small rivulet flowing in the backyard....across the river green fields spread unto the horizon.

Supply of good things far exceeded the demand in Mon-Chasha.

The accommodation and facilities ware tidy and hygienic. Never felt the need of an AC with cool breeze flowing in trough the windows and walls... sleeping under a mosquito net was comforting and gave a secured feeling.

Food was very good but the way it was presented in bell metal dishes definitely scored better.

Load shedding ( for a short duration) in the evening was just perfect to read out ghost stories from a book I picked from the small library.

My 3 and half yr old son was prompt in picking up a old mandolin and his friend ( my friend's son) a drum from the collection of toys to form a band belting out popular hindi numbers...

On a serious note, Mon-Chasha to me is a brilliant effort to showcase the life of rural bengal...and I hope more Non-Bengalies visit this place to get a glimpse of that life....

The "grihastha" in me could not ask for more...

NB: I missed my glass of scotch and a soulful boatman singing at a distance.. well, that would be asking a bit too much I guess...

ENJOY...!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

An experience of a lifetime..

Was there with my dad, mom and better half last year... This is a place where you should go at least once in your lifetime and the moment you are there you will feel like you should come here again and again. This time I would like to share the experience that I had with the Pros and Cons. Here it goes

- We had heard a lot about Monchasha and decided to go there for a weekend
- We traveled in a car from Kolkata. The drive is about 2 - 3 hrs. Alternatively a train route to Contai and then a pickup could had been opted for. But I wanted to drive. And the decision was correct. Driving on roads with Nature filled roads, ponds, rivers on both the sides with fresh oxygen was truly amazing
- The journey till the moment we drove in had made our expectations go very high and it was met superbly the time when we stepped in..
- A huge area with 2 big ponds, 4 bamboo cottages, gardens filled with flowers and veggies greeted us
- A small river curved behind the scene and the view was amazing

Pros
- Huge spaces in the cottages. Sleeps 4 + more easily..
- Neat bathrooms
- Clean linens
- Superb food. All this food comes from the garden outside with 0 pesticides or the pond where fishes grow naturally
- The owners and the staff deserves a special mention. They are one of the best I have ever seen. Talk with them for a hour or two makes you feel like you know them for long and they are part of the extended family
- Utensils deserve a special mention. You are served food on authentic Kasha platters

Dos
- Sit quietly on the balcony and watch the river flow by. Its one the most beautiful things I have ever seen
- Engage in the evening time lokgeeti where localites and the owners play folk music. If you know playing any instrument or like singing go on dont stop yourself
- Cook food in the kitchen
- Take a boat ride on the river during the sunrise
- Take a dip in the pond..
- Visit the nearby ashram and talk/ engage with the kids there and meet the man who has been father to many orphans there

This trip rejuvenated me like anything.. when I walked in I was stressed at my peak capacity. But when I left I felt like I have been freed of all my problems...

A must visit for all from my perspective

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Me and my extended family visited this place on the Independence Day weekend. At first i was wondering how will this place be without AC rooms and bamboo cottages, but when i reached there i was taken aback by the pristine beauty of the place.
A complete village set-up was actually a delight for us after coming from a busy city life. The lovely breeze, the tranquility of the place has never made me feel the need for an AC. One thing for which i have to give thumbs up to the people is the way they maintained the place and the kept complete care of hygiene, really appreciate that.
Nilanjan & Debjani the owner of the place and the other staff members did everything possible to make our stay comfortable. Thank you so very much.
Oh yes, the food there really needs a mention. Such delicious Bengali food and the way they serve you in "bell metal" plates you will feel like a " Bengali Zamindar".
Overall its a wonderful place to spend a weekend and honestly i was little sad when i had to come back from there.

Best
Joy

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
kolkata
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We have taken the journey to get away from the beaten tourist trails . Fortunately we found Mon Chasa a wonderful place to enjoy the solitude.

What really ticked is two factors ; without giving the so often use descriptions

The rural and really unblemished rural surroundings
The combination of home away from home feelings ; as we feel in our own house
--- and the people who run the set up to transplant the feelings of genuine care and hospitality

Do we have to say more

Room Tip: It will be helpful as a precautionary measure to take some bug repellant
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Conceptually the place is Really fantastic and amazing. It's very memorable place for me.
Myself and all of our Tour members enjoyed a lot. After returning back, we informed all of our friends and relatives about that place. Everybody is very eager to go there after listing all of our very very delightful enjoyable moments. Last of all I am proud to say that this is my best tour in my life till date.

Room Tip: Room on the south side
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

The monotone of city life bogging us down, me and my wife, decided to take a much awaited break, close by...yet far away from the stress, trension and tedious routine of urban life. On reaching, we were warmly greeted by the owners Mr. & Mrs. Basu. It was a rejuventaing experience at "Mon Chasha" with all the greenery around, the flavour of rural Bengal, eco friendly environment and great food. Though the setup is small but it is very well organized. The cottages are made out of hay, bamboo and jute, by local people from Midnapore. The dining cum reception area plays soft instrumental music in tandem with the local environment which touches your soul. Homely food served in "Kansa" utensils, tastes delicious. Organic vegetables, are being grown in-house, including various Saags, Pumpkin, etc. "Reduce- Reuse-Recycle" strategy is actually followed at "Mon Chasha", to make the venture a sustainable one, without putting stress on the local environment.The water is reused from the cottages, through a basic cleaning process and then recycled, thus reducing the water consumption as a whole. The rooms are also made from eco-firendly objects, has an attached washroom with the modern amenties. Each room (cottage) is provided with a solar lantern, charged from small photo-voltaic cells. Peace, closeness to nature, relaxation, beauty, homely cuisine and a sustainable setup. Its all there at Mon Chasha.

Thank you...Mr. and Mrs. Basu for conceptualizing such a wonderful setup.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and me were bogged down by the city life and wanted a much awaited break,close by...yet far far away from the stress, strain, noise, harsh lights and pollution of our urban set up. while googling we came across 'Mon chasha'. I really don't know why such a naming but a direct translation in english would mean "Mind farmer". Well if anyone pays a visit to monchasha the mind is sure to get harvested and refreshed! Me being fascinated with rural bengal: 'gram-bangla' and my husband being very passionate about photography it was like paradise for both us! Nature at its best with great food, good and prompt service, peace and tranquility, fireflies at night inside out bamboo cottage and the sweet sound of jhinjhi, baghda nadi, rain and silence of nature made us transcend into a different world(from where it was very difficult to come back). Thank you...Mr. and Mrs. Basu for conceptualizing 'Mon chasha'!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mon Chasha? Share your experiences!