“Utter Bliss” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Downe Health Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hartland
Downe Health Spa
Downe, Hartland EX39 6DA, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Hartland
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Utter Bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Spent a pamper day with my daughters (29 & 30). So relaxing and such an informal atmosphere yet very attentive staff. Treatments were superb, lunch and cream tea delicious and we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Myself and a friend arrived at the spa after a rather wet weekend at the Westcountry storytelling festival. We were given a warm welcome from Jeremy and conducted to our cottage which was clean, comfortable and well equipped (not to say luxurious!). Our three course dinner was absolutely delicious and the complimentary bottle of wine and Devon fudge was a nice touch. We had a cosy evening by the wood burning stove and enjoyed a great night's sleep. The following day we were welcomed to the spa with bucks fizz and coffee and had the jacuzzi/steam/sauna to ourselves. Our two course lunch (with more bucks fizz) was, again, beautifully prepared and presented. Our 'upgraded' stone therapy was, we agreed, the best we have had at any spa we have visited and we felt totally looked after and pampered by our personal therapists for the whole day. After another delicious meal, we had a hard time staying awake after nine pm even though we had relaxed all day...we were totally 'blissed out'! The spa is in a stunning location but as the weather was not the best we only strayed into the local village and the pub at Hartland Point for a quick drink on our second day. I would recommend Downe Spa without reservation...Jeremy and his wife were the perfect hosts and did everything possible to cater to our requirements. I hope we shall return.

Room Tip: All the cottages were lovely...cosy, warm, well equipped and spacious.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband had bought me a pamper day for my Birthday, he will never be stuck as to what to by me for another Birthday after visiting here! as soon as you enter Down spa there is a feeling of utter relaxation with its peaceful grounds and beautiful view over Lundy Bay.

I was greeted by Jeremy who is very friendly and welcoming and then handed over to Beth who made me coffee and left me with my lunch menu and my plan for the day, after driniking coffee I was shown around the facilities and left to what I can only describe as HEAVEN! I have two children and find it extremely hard to sit and do nothing when ever I do have any spare time, but I had no problem here just lounging in a towelling robe and reading magazines. I used the spa facilities, until I was served lunch and then after I had what can only be described as the most relaxing full body massage I have ever had. (and Im not a body massage person) by
Tess.

I could go on about how wonderful thus place is but anyone reading this I would say TRY IT you will not be dissapointed.

Thankyou to everyone at Down for making my day so relaxing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Devon, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I went to Downe to celebrate my 30th birthday with a friend. Both of us were well in need of a bit of pampering as we both have one year old boys who have been keeping us busy. I got in touch with Downe by email and they were very helpful. The directions were spot on and we arrived at 9.15 ready to be pampered. We relaxed on the comfy sofas for a while and were served with tea the shown around. Relaxing music was playing in the lounge and it was very comfortable and quiet. We then went to the spa/sauna/steam room...I was a little disappointed by this area as it had a slightly leisure centre'ish feel but in the end it was fine - it was relaxing and we didn't really see any of the other guests as their treatments must have been staggered with ours so for much of the day we felt like we had the place to ourselves. We had Beth and Tess doing our treatments and they were absolutely fantastic. Tess did reflexology and a stone massage for me - Fantastic! So realxing....the treatment rooms are lovely. and just mooching around in robe and slippers felt like the height of luxury. Unfortunately the weather wasn;t nice enough to have lunch on the patio but the conservatory was really nice. We both had salad followed by apple pie for kunch and it was delicious. We did briefly use the gym which was basic and wouldn't take too much to make it feel less like a garage and more like a professional gym - they have all the gear.
The stone massage was definitely the highlight and we floated home after being filled up with delicious cream teas at the end of the day.
Friendly owners, wonderful treatment, good food...slighly dated spa area but no complaints at all.

Nelson, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Downe holiday cottages and spa is a real gem, situated a mile from Hartland village in North Devon, and close to the dramatic coastline of Hartland Point. I stayed with a friend for a short 2 night pamper break and we were given a warm welcome by Jeremy, the owner, to our lovely, well-equipped cottage, with views over the lily pond and out to sea. After a long journey, it was a real treat to light the ready-laid woodburner and tuck into the delicious supper we had pre-ordered (cooked by Jeremy's wife Lynda, and left in the fridge with simple instructions for heating up in the oven). The food was restaurant quality and a real treat. The continental breaKfast basket provided was also very good.
Our spa session the next day surpassed my expectations, with every detail taken care of, starting off with the offer of a Buck's Fizz, excellent coffee and a choice of magazines & newspapers to relax with. The therapists explained everything to us really well and were always available to answer any queries. We spent the morning enjoying the whirlpool, sauna and steam room, relaxing on comfortable loungers and looking out over the lily pond. After a very tasty lunch in the conservatory (I chose chicken and mango salad followed by sorbet from the excellent selection) it was time for us to enjoy our wonderful "Sea Escape stone facial & body therapy" which I have to say was absolutely blissful and the most enjoyable beauty treatment I have ever had. Amazingly, the experience seemed to fly (or float) by but actually lasted for 90 minutes. We followed this with a manicure and cup of tea before heading back to the cottage for another delicious supper.
I can't recommend the cottages or the spa highly enough. Whether you want the complete pamper experience or simply a warm, well-equipped holiday cottage in a great location (close to the SW coast path and stunning Hartland Abbey), the Downe is the perfect spot.

Braunton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

My daughter and myself needed a day to completely relax after an unbelievably stressful time.We were both very impressed with Downe Spa.A small place but lovely setting and long distance views of the sea and lundy island..Wonderful staff who were low key but efficient.We had a personalised plan given to us for our day and shown around.The aromotherapy massage was one of the best I have had and very personalied.My only complaint is that it did not include face or front of body,although back,neck,shoulders,legs and arms were included.Wonderful healthy but tasty lunch and delicious cream tea.Small but well equipped gym which gave us both a good workout but limited when another couple joined us,since I had to wait to use the machine of my choice.This wasnt a big problem but since the jazuzzi,steam room and sauna area was small, the seating area felt a bit cramped when there were more than 2 or 3 there.I would have given 5 stars if those facilities had been a little more spacious and also felt that the place was let down by the changing area,which wasnt very private,although you could change in the shower or bathroom.The shower was very hard to adjust with very low water pressure.The shower gels were nearly empty and only cheap shampoo on the shelf outside the shower.Difficult to find where fresh towels were kept even though we were told they would be available.Otherwise service was excellent and the place very comfortable and low key..By the end of the day we were feeling completely relaxed and truely pampered.After we left the spa we went for a bracing walk along the cliffs.Spectacular views only a 5 minute drive away. We definitely would go again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
exeter
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The only upsides to this place is the location and the therapists. The spa area is shabby, cracked tiles, smelly shower, that dribbles at best and very dated, also the loungers are in full view of the jacuzzi and steam/sauna rooms so if like me you are not a size 10 12 or 14 then you feel very self conscious. The seating/resting area is like an old peoples common room. The only good points are the therapists, who were very professional and very talented, totally wasted at this establishment. The food was average, but over-priced for what you get. There is no designated changing area, so very uncomfortable if there's a man around, i felt very nervous about changing because of this. If you need to relax and unwind then stay away from Downe, its not worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Downe Health Spa? Share your experiences!