“Mystery Canyon” 5 of 5 stars

Observation Point
Improve this listing
Type: National Parks, Lookouts, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: This overlook provides a great view of southern Zion Canyon if you're willing to climb the 2200 feet of elevation to get there.
Salt Lake City, Utah
136 attraction reviews
“Mystery Canyon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is one of the more beautiful canyons out there. Not too challenging but it is amazing once you get into the canyon how green it is.

Visited July 2014

• Indonesian first
Chester, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
“great walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

one of the best walks we've done - better than angels landing in my opinion - awesome views which change round every bend - switch backs, a slip canyon, hidden valleys, grass land and stupendous view everyway you turn. 8 miles there and back but so worth it. WC at the trail head, along with drinking water.

Visited April 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
19 attraction reviews
“I would rate as harder than moderate but amazing hike and views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Kept going up and up and always kept thinking we had to be close to top but trail seemed to go on forever. I was amazed at how different the scenery seemed to change depending on which section of trail you were on. We hiked on Easter Sunday and weather was perfect but I would not want to hike in summer heat. Once we finally got to the top it was all worth it. What a spectacular view. I was surprised I had a phone signal on top and posted a pic on Facebook. Thought going back down was a going to be easy but we were out if shape for hiking at that elevation. Ended up taking us almost 7 hours total with several stops and wish I would have brought more water. This hike is tough but well with it. I wouldn't plan too many other activities on the same day of this hike unless you are in amazing condition.

Visited April 2014
Saint Paul, Minnesota
15 attraction reviews
“Worth every step!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was my favorite hike in Zion. It's tough and long (8 miles round trip), but the view is worth it. You can see all the way back down the canyon, and Observation Point is far above Angel's Landing. As a bonus, after an initial climb, the hike takes you through Echo Canyon, with some great photo opportunities of a slot canyon. Then, it's up, up, up. Start early in the morning, and have the necessary supplies for a strenuous hike.

I am very afraid of heights, so I would not even try the chained walk from Scout's Landing to Angel's Landing the day before. On a couple of the switchbacks heading to Observation Point, I'll admit that I had to keep my focus completely uphill to calm the nerves, but the trail is wide enough in all areas to feel secure. The last portion of the trail is a flat 1/2 mile or so through a wooded area - a welcome way to "top off" the climb.

Make sure you get a photo of the survey marker at the top to prove how high you actually were! Spend some time snacking and enjoying the best views in the Park before you head back down.

As others have said, the spur to Hidden Canyon is somewhat disappointing. It does have some chained parts, though, and footing that is wide enough to traverse rather easily.

Visited June 2014
Michigan
16 attraction reviews
“Go early”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We went at 630am in June. Start early and the hike up is not hot, elevation can take your breath away. Very peaceful, lots of deer and cute chipmunks. Wear good shoes and bring lots of water and sunscreen. Once your at the tops it's awesome. Way back did. Can hurt your toes prepare with good shoes. Hidden canyon a trail near bottom is okay not really worth your time tho... Nice hike. Go Early early early