“well worth it” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Hiking Trails
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: A strenuous and challenging 12.5 mile hiking trail.
Chester, United Kingdom
38 attraction reviews
“well worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

there are in my opinion better hikes, like observation point, but well worth it great to swim in the river. dont expect to have this to yourself

Visited April 2014

Austin, Texas, United States
7 attraction reviews
“One of a kind hiking experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I did the bottom-up hike up to Wall Street in early July 2014.

As many readers have commented, it pays to start early. I was at the Zion Adventure Company by 9 am. Had to watch a video regarding flash flooding (this risk is serious, the day I hiked, there was a 30% chance of flooding), rented my shoes, socks & walking stick (it is well worth the money, believe me, your feet will hurt a lot without proper footwear) and took 2 shuttles to the Temple of Sinawava. By the time I started the hike, it was almost 11 am.

Taking the first few steps in the river is weird. Once the shoes get wet, they feel a bit heavy. Walking against the flow of the river adds further resistance (it's as if you are being tackled at every step). Even with the special sticky shoes, the slippery rocks make you lose balance and the walking stick came in handy several times to break my fall. After a while, my body got used to these and I trudged along admiring the amazing scenery at every corner of the canyon.

Despite being 103 deg F at the entrance of Zion NP, the Narrows was cool because of the river. Even in summer, it is better to carry a towel and a light jacket with you, just in case you fall into the water. Since there was a chance of flash flooding and getting stranded, I had packed plenty of water and food for the day.

The hike to Wall Street was filled with amazing views at every corner. The water was crystal clear and cool and varied in depth from ankle high to waist high. Whenever there was a rapid, crossing the river tended to be a bit challenging even at ankle high depth water. I realized it was much easier to cross at points where the river is flowing calmly.

I reached Wall Street around 1 pm. I spent an hour there engrossed in observing how the sunlight bathed the canyon walls and the river through narrow openings. This is an area where you don't want to be if it floods. The canyon walls are upright and there are very few places to escape a surging river. The chances of thunderstorm was higher after 2 pm. So despite the allure of exploring the Orderville gulch, I listened to my better judgment and headed back.

The complete hike took around 5 hours. It was tiring but completely worth it. I would definitely come back in future to do the top down hike.

Walking on a river bed with slippery rocks admiring nature's art work coupled with a real chance of getting flushed out like a sewer rat makes this a one of a kind hiking experience.

BTW, The day after I hiked, it flooded. The river was muddy and filled with debris. I counted myself as one lucky dude.

Tips:
1. Pay attention to weather (especially in summer)
2. Use restroom at the Temple of Sinawava before you start (unless you enjoy peeing in the river)
3. The greener the water, the deeper it is.
4. Don't go with the flow of water. It gets deeper and rougher. The other side is typically shallower and drier.
5. Don't skimp out on renting the shoes, socks and walking stick.

Visited July 2014
tampa, fl
69 attraction reviews
“Only started it...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have been longing to at least try or start the narrows trail ever since my first visit to the park 10yrs ago. This time around I didn't have the time or equipment to properly trek the trail but I decided that I had to at least do the first mile or so. Now I am even more enticed to do the whole thing and check this off my bucket list completely. The rush of hiking in knee deep water in this narrow canyon is unforgettable and the views are amazing. You need to be fit and able to do this but if you can you should not pass up the chance. Sure the water is cold and it's tiring to hike in water but it's so worth it and I didn't even get to see the big time highlights.

Visited March 2014
Daytona Beach, Florida
40 attraction reviews
“One of the Coolest Hikes We've ever done!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

Start early if you want to do the Zion NP "Narrows" bottom-up day-hike. We were at the Adventure Outfitters at 7:45 (opens at 8 am), in the park and on the shuttle by 8:30 and at the start of the 1 mile paved approach by around 9 a.m. (Getting the neoprene socks/boots at Zion Adventures, btw, well worth it.) This is a really cool experience, walking directly up the river after the first mile alongside and in water (late June) between knee and waist deep at times. Trail out had some people, but we were among the earliest and reached the river before 9:30, then went North for about 2 hours, into and all the way up the "Wallstreet" section. (IN total, we walked about 7-1/2 miles round trip) Bring water and lunch/snacks for halfway. Sun will be directly overhead by midday, but the canyon is so narrow that there is plenty of shade returning as well, so even on a day that temps reached 98, we were fine. Heading back, there will be hundreds of people coming up the canyon though, slowing your progress. Recommend dry shoes and socks to change into immediately when you get back to the paved trail and before walking back out the last mile. Enjoy!

Visited June 2014
Denver, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
“Narrows great hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We hiked the trail with 2 grandparents in their late 60's, parents in their 40's and children from 6-14. We all loved it. We rode the shuttle from the Welcome Center which is a 40 minute bus ride, you then walk about l mile on a very good path which takes about 20 minutes and then you are at the Virgin River. There are alot of people there. We walked in tennis shoes and shorts and had no problem. In fact most of the people wore tennis shoes or hiking shoes that could handle getting wet. The water was chilly but not freezing cold or uncomfortable. We did not take hiking sticks but there were alot of them leaning against the wall as you go from the path to the river bed. I was one of the grandparents and was really glad for the hiking stick in the areas where the water is really rushing over alot of rocks. In other areas you would not need one. When we walked the water was from above our ankles to over our knees. Because of the younger children we only walked an hour into the Narrows but LOVED it. It was a very hot day. Make sure you take plenty of water and snacks as you will be glad you did.

Visited June 2014