“You have to do it.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Horseback riding, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Angel's Landing is one of Zion's most spectular scenic outlooks; it can be reached only by a very demanding hike on the West Rim Trail.
Merritt Island, Florida
8 attraction reviews
“You have to do it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Our group of 7, age range 14-60, hiked this with only a few stops on the way. Scouts Overlook was a great resting place for those of us that were a little unsure. Even for those that stopped there, we all felt a sense of accomplishment at the end of the hike.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
“Even better than everyone says (and not too hard) - do it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I was really nervous about this trek given the heat and my fixation with YouTube videos of it, but it was a total delight! We got the first bus (6am) so the temperature was cool and there was hardly anyone else around. The walk In is fantastic and diverse, with the middle leafy "refrigerator" canyon providing a lovely contrast to the steep sunbaked climbs. The bird song here was especially beautiful (although wasted on the few US hikers who love the sound of their own voice and can't help but loudly subject us all to the tedium of their work lives - there is more to life, people - you are a lost cause!).

The final climbs up to the summit were great fun but at no point did we feel rushed by anyone and the views are awesome. Watch out for the chipmunks at the top - I'm sure some must get taken home by accident in rucksacks. The nesting Peregrine falcons were also a great sight, although clearly there didn't really enjoy having us around their nesting area.

Coming down was just as much fun, although you do have to be patient and let queues pass.

In summary, this hike more than lived up to it's billing - enjoy!

midland
51 attraction reviews
“All it says it is”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We gutted it up and did the hike, at least most of it. did not do the chains. the view from Scout was great. a grueling hike to say the least but mostly paved. lots of switchbacks and resting spots. it was july so I will not complain too much about the crowds or the heat. I believe zion itself would be better in May or October.

Visited July 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“What a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Great hike, pretty hot in Summer but worth the walk. The trail between Scout's Lookout and Angel's Landing itself would be a little confronting if you don't like heights... but it isn't that bad as the chain gives you a greater sense of security. The view is stunning at the top and would be beautiful at sunset... we were there in the afternoon and it was a touch hazy. But, just in terms of the "adventure" getting along the ridge line to the Landing... awesome!

Los Angeles, California
12 attraction reviews
“Strenuous Hike, Magnificent View, Must-Go”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

STEEP SLOPES: This was a strenuous hike indeed. Many steep ascends throughout the trail, right from the beginning. Not recommended for those with heart, breathing or joint problems. Recommending hiking sticks, esp for the descend to off load impact on your knees. We started hiking at around 4 pm and were a bit worried about the returning hike (whether it will be too dark), so we walked on a rather fast pace. Not too much direct sunlight at that hour but it was hot and there was a short shaded section. I might recommend an early start like 6am for a cooler hike. After going through a zig-zag way up (~40 degree slope), there's a flat lookout/resting area before the 0.5 mi section with the chains, so if you're not up for that last section, you can take a break there, there are a couple portable restrooms. We took ~2 hrs to get to this point.

GLOVES & SHOES: The chained sections were less scary than I had thought. I heeded advice from other TripAdvisors and brought gloves; I bought open-finger yoga gloves but would recommend closed-finger ones, as some of the chains are bolted very close to the hillside and I had to slide my fingers against the rocks to grab onto the chain and was scratching my nails and the open part of my fingers against the rocks; sometimes I had to put my whole palm onto the rough rocks but was scared to grab too tightly in case I hurt my fingers, but I did fine overall. I debated whether to get a pair of hiking boots or wear trail running shoes, I finally wore my trail running shoes with excellent grip and did fine. Good grip is the main point. I think hiking boots with a tougher bottom would have protected the bottom of my feet better against the loose and irregular rocks, but I was happy with my trail running shoes; the bottom of my feet were just very slightly sore from the hike (most likely from the descend).

CHAINS: I had worried about the chains, but as soon as I held onto the first one I was comforted by how sturdy and well situated they were. They were very reliably bolted into the hillside and were thicker than I thought, very trustworthy when I had to pull myself up onto some rocks. Prepare to have to sit down, squat, slide and climb to go through the chained sections where you have to ascend, descend and then ascend to reach the top.

VIEW, WEATHER: The view at the very top was absolutely stunning and magnificent! It's relatively flat and wide at the top. I was about to run to the tip of the flat area, but a sudden gust of wind blew towards me and my cap flew away and rolled a few times onto the rocks until it got caught by a little bush. Rain clouds, thunders and lightening were approaching so I had to quickly retrieve my cap, before another gust of weird wind full of sand blew in all directions. We had to squat down and close our eyes for what seemed like much longer than 2 minutes, then rain started falling down. We only had time to snap 2 pics and had to scramble down to avoid lightening strikes. The whole experience was thrilling, exciting and a bit scary but oh so much fun. We really hurried down and took only 1.5 hrs to get back to the starting point and we were completely soaked! Check weather and avoid monsoon and storms. Also check times of sunrise/sunset: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.php

WATER & FUEL: I think I drank 2 big bottles of water, a few squares of ShotBloks and 1/4 Cliff Bar.

AFTERTHOUGHT: This was the most unique hike I've ever done so far, even if there was no storm. The chain section is what makes it unique. It's much less scary than what I perceived, I felt like 80% of the path provided more room for my feet than most of the descriptions I've read; the starting part might be the scariest as you're holding onto the chains and walking on the side of a steep cliff, the middle parts you're walking on flat paths but they're narrow and rough. Regardless, watching your footing is a must. I will definitely go back again and hope to go to the tip on the very top next time!

Visited July 2014