“Strenuous but rewarding” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Geologic Formations, National Parks, Hiking Trails, Trails, Sports
Activities: Horseback riding, Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Angel's Landing is one of Zion's most spectular scenic outlooks; it can be reached only by a very demanding hike on the West Rim Trail.
Zaandam, The Netherlands
37 attraction reviews
“Strenuous but rewarding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This is a very strenuous hike that requires some preparation. First of all, go here early to avoid the heat. Don't bring any strollers or huge backpacks because you will need to do some climbing. Some of the paths are very narrow, with steep drops right next to you, so do NOT go here if you are afraid of heights. If you manage to reach the end (or come close to it), you are rewarded with some beautiful views of the canyon.

Bathrooms can be found at the start of the trail near the shuttle stop, and high up on the mountain at the official start of the Angel's Landing trail.

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
22 attraction reviews
“Start early to avoid the crowds and the heat!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We tossed up about whether to do this hike or not- and we were soooo glad we did!! For the most part it's not as hard as signage and park reading materials would tell you it is- although it's all up hill, the switchbacks are very well made and maintained paths that, assuming you have a medium level of cardio fitness, are quite do-able. The final climb to the summit of Angel's Landing is a lot harder, but it's still a worthwhile hike even if you don't do that final climb. There's plenty of great views before that point.
We caught the 6 am shuttle to the start of the hike, and it was well worth it- we did most of the hike in the shade, which made it much easier, and we avoided the huge crowds. And the crowds are huge, by about 9 am.
Start early, take plenty of water and snacks, and do this hike :)

Visited June 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
136 attraction reviews
“One of those Zions hikes that must be done”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I have done this hike a few times over the years. It is a classic and must be done if you really consider yourself a true outdoors adventurer hahahaha. There are always a tone of people and if you do it in the middle of the summer you better get up there early or you will literally melt. There is some great exposure at the top and I can't wait to climb this one day instead of just hiking it.

Visited August 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
67 attraction reviews
“Yipee! We did it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My friend and I decided we were going to climb this thing--both our spouses opted out.
We caught the 0630 shuttle from the main parking lot--plenty of spaces that early. We started out at this time to beat the heat and the sun. And, it worked!
We got off the shuttle around 7 and began our ascent. The path up to the main gathering area is steep, but in the cool it's not bad. Once on the main plateau, we stated the grueling last third yup the rock fin, where the real elevation changes.
We supported each other. I don't like heights and didn't look down much as we went up. The top is a tiny path with heavy chain to hold on in most places.
Once at the top, about 1 1/2 hours later, we stopped for water and a snack and took in the sights from the top of the world.
I wore sneakers, a breathable long-sleeve shirt, hat (sun) and shorts. I needed sun block--at the top there's no shade.
The trip down was easier than going up. I actually began taking pictures of the valley. on the way down. Decending, we began passing late hikers going up. Everyone was polite and helped find safe places to let people pass.
I was very excited to have made the hike and I credit my hiker buddy. I would recommend doing this with friends! More fun and they'll provide the build-in encouragement if this is a bit out of your comfort range.

Visited May 2014
Fairfax, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Angel's Landing with Young Children”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Having never been to Zion before our recent trip, I had few expectations of what to expect aside from general comments from friends and reviews on Trip Advisor. There is a reason Angel's Landing is the #2 ranked hike at Zion - the views and experience of making it to the top is amazing. Our family of four with two boys ages 7 and 10 are not super hikers, but both boys have completed 3-5 mile hikes of various difficulty in the past. This was by far the most difficult hike any of us have attempted. This was our first big hike and Zion and it's 5 miles round-trip climbing 1600 ft. What does that mean you will be walking 2.5 miles up a mountain on steep, but paved switchbacks. It took us about an hour and half of steady walking to get to the top. If you have read the other reviews about the chains, it's true. Once we reached the top, my 10 yr old and I decided to give them a try. The first 100 yards are a little tricky, it's steep but not treacherous. He was nervous but determined. After about 100 yards there is a landing - we decided at this point to stop and just enjoy the view. From what we could see the rest of the path out to the final lookout looked more difficult and frankly made me nervous. Also, it was crowded, navigating around people while holding onto the chains going both up and down while also helping my 10 year was too much, still just having the experience of having to hold on to the chains and climb was pretty cool. So bottom line, if your kids are new to hiking this is not the hike for you. My 7 year old complained much of the way up, but interesting about half way up the mountain he hit his stride and made it the rest of the way up without complaining, he just needed to get his groove.

Visited July 2014